Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Like you I was hesitant, kept putting it off, got the first dose due to pressure, mainly from mrs, ended up never getting second dose. I regret now getting the first dose.

Got covid a few months ago, was no big deal, just felt very tired for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol nope. I've read it. I'm just not aware of a specific figure and as I said not arsed to find it for you when you constantly dodge points. Oyour fellow conspiracy theorist however did dismiss it without reading it and claimed it was fraudulent. As always you ignored this because you're fine with your friends spreading misinformation.

Like for example you dodge my question in the previous post.

Since you don't believe that the paper is a fraud and you agree it's peer reviewed, you accept its conclusions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Austria : mountains, skiing

Australia : Cork hats, kangaroos, Crocodile Dundee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Im sure you'll be ok after taking only one, I suppose it's just niggling at you that you took it.

At least you stopped before you ended up taking a second, then the booster.....then a shot every 90 day's.

Interestingly enough though, some scientist are saying now that the vaccines or boosters will only give a months protection from catching COVID or getting sick.

A bit like which came first the chicken or the egg.

Did another poster really say it was fraudulent or just that it was based on assumptions, and the conclusions are only as good as the assumptions?

in other words if you put garbage into the model, you’ll get garbage out.

• Advertisement

They claimed it a false study and when I asked if they believed it was fraudulent they avoided the question. So yea made that assumption.

OK. So you believe thay the study is garbage. Is this because the authors are just incompetent then?

It can't be that they are conducting fraud cause you objected to that notion.

And of it is incompetence how did the paper get published?

This is just total misrepresentation. I don’t know what to make of the study because it is based on a lot of assumptions about the vaccines effectiveness against infection and transmission and I’ve no idea what those assumptions are.

and neither do you!!

You guys keep whinging about it, but when you are asked directly questions about what you believe, you ignore it.

You don't know what to make of the study. OK.

So then can you agree that it's not possible that the study is fraudulent?

Can you agree that it's not possible for the study to be wrong due to incompetence?

I agree it is extremely unlikely the study is fraudulent, but I'm not sure why you would claim it is impossible?

And I also agree that it is extremely unlikely the study is wrong due to incompetence, but again it is certainly not impossible.

Great. So it's not likely to be fraudulent or wrong. So then it's likely to be correct?

• Advertisement

I actually don't think it is likely to be correct because I think it is likely they used an ambitious assumption on the efficacy against infection or transmission.

This does not necessarily infer fraudulence or incompetence. It is a flaw in using models to predict what might have happened if things were different.

You yourself don't even know what assumptions they used yet you think it is impossible they are wrong. That's ridiculous. If you are going to argue that this study is overwhelmingly likely to be accurate, you'll need to show what assumptions they used and explain why you believe the assumptions are overwhelmingly likely to be accurate.

Lol. Firstly, you are misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say I didn't know what assumptions they used. I never said otherwise.

I said I wasn't arsed to dig up a specific number for you when you were and still do dodge points.

Secondly, I did not say that it's impossible that they are wrong. Never said otherwise.

You are arguing that the study is wrong then.

Are you claiming that they are too incompetent to use the correct assumptions and figures?

Or were they directed to use these "ambitious assumptions"?

Also, if the study used wrong assumptions and is not correct, why was it allowed to pass peer review?

If you can't be arsed to "dig up" and discuss what assumptions they used it is totally pointless to discuss the findings based on those assumptions.

This is why people ignore you. Nobody is dodging your questions. You are being ignored because your posts are pointless and foolish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You mean the numbers that ONS publish weekly/ monthly since the beginning of the pandemic, and before as well except nobody noticed back then? That's not trying to hide bad news, it's just them doing their job.

As for the numbers you'd need to compare the size of the population of each group of unvaccinated, double vaccinated and triple vaccinated in order to get any meaning from those numbers, but I note the article deliberately doesn't do that. Here is an article explaining it all out for you.

You'll notice the fact check article is in response to a previous tweet from your source claiming that the numbers had been released whilst we were all distracted by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Is it possible that your source might just be unreliable and is actually the one conspiring to make money from gullible people?

So you keep saying.

The only people convinced of this are your fellow conspiracy theorists.

You keep ignoring things and using your feigned offence as an excuse to do so. If I spend the time and effort to explain the paper to you, you will use this tactic to bail from the discussion when you find yourself in a corner. You do it all the time.

At the same time, it's pointless to actually explain the study, because it shouldn't be in question. It's peer reviewed. It's published in a reputable journal. The conclusions and clear and I have not misrepresented them.

You agree that the study isn't fraudulent or incompetent. You agree that since it's published and the authors are more knowledgeable and trained in statistics, virology and other relevant fields than you are, that the study's conclusions are valid.

However, since this is a conspiracy forum, and not a science forum, you are simply looking for an excuse to ignore and disregard the study because you don't like the conclusion.

You are still holding up the pretence of being a fence sitter, so you know you can't just cry cover up or fraud like your friends.

So you're now claiming this nonsense that studies based on models are all invalid.

If that was the case, the study would not have been published. The peer review process would have rejected it because it's conclusions were false and invalid. The people writing the study would not have done it since they aren't frauds and aren't stupid. They would know what you do and that studies like this are invalid.

So please explain why they study was published when it's wrong.

I don't think you can, because you're simply grasping at straws to avoid the study's conclusion. As such, you will ignore this question.

(BTW: Here's what the study used to determine the efficacy of the vaccine: https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/6-185 I will assume that this study is also invalid in your expert view.)

I haven't said the study is wrong, you are talking more nonsense. I have said without knowing what assumptions on vaccine effectiveness they used to claim the vaccines were effective, it is impossible to form an opinion on whether that claim is correct or not. This is a fact.

It's hard to know who to trust these days, I'm not sure what to believe from both sides of the narrative now.

I'm not talking about people here discussing the conspiracy, but where we get our information from.

Maybe it's best to just get on with it and see what happens.

At the end of the day I'm getting bombarded with lot's of conflicting information , and I'm sure on the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

Like that talking heads song "Once in a life time" how did I get here.....

But it was accepted for peer reviewed and was published in a reputable journal.

For this argument to make any sense, you have to suggest that this was something that the Lancet didn't think of.

But we know this is not a likely suggestion as that would involve incompetence or fraud.

So which is it? Did the Lancet not bother to check this? Did they publish a study without knowing whether or not the study was valid?

And again:

Here's what they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Not really the vaccine safety but I got 2 shots and 2 boosters and still got very ill. I've asthma.

• Advertisement

Probably start with not trusting a site which admits to being blocked by Google and Facebook etc for posting fake articles, and is then asking you for money so they can continue their quest of exposing some conspiracy which they can't properly explain and have written articles based on deliberately dodgy interpretation of statistics in order to scare people into parting with their cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ah, remember last December everyone was screaming "This is a pandemic of the unvaccinated!!" "The unvaccinated make up a disproportionate amount of cases in ICU" Blah, Blah, Blah!

That was all forgotten about very quickly in the first half of the year...

Now vaccination status of those in hospital could not be any less relevant to the health authorities it appears, given that most are over 65 (i.e. the group that are 99% vaccinated)

This is really embarrassing stuff, I can't believe some in this forum are still showing their faces here...

Can you show your workings for how the unvaccinated are according to you, not making up a disproportionate amount of cases?

We can agree that more vaccinated/ older people are in hospital, but that is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The unvaccinated were making up a disproportionate amount of cases in ICU and hospital.

This is indisputable.

So even if it is no longer the case due to Omicron - and that is very much not established - that does not alter those correct and factual statements.

Unless you believe in time travel but not space travel?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's hard to know if the mainstream media are telling the truth too, and fact checkers they're also questionable. Usually just nerd's at home tweaking a bit here and there to keep the narrative.

Markus, you claimed that all spaceflight is fake. You ended up trying and failing to make a fake image to trick people in some elaborate attempt to do something. You ran away from that thread in shame. Or do you not remember that?

Again, you embarrass other conspiracy theorists by posting. You give us the perfect example of how you guys are not rational and will believe any old shite as long as it's a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm pretty happy that every number you supply is imaginatory or misunderstood by you because everything you have supplied so far falls into this and continues to do so. The CFR for vaccines is nowhere near your numbers, it may be somewhere close to that for mild side effects that go away after a couple of days.

The actual CFR is thousands and thousands of times less than the virus.

Again, seeing a number of anti-vaxxers trying to do this "trick" of avoiding setting parameters so they can go on screaming chaotically or spinning off to something else, hometruths doing this with made up vaccine CFR, drunkmonkey doing this with ignoring the Uraguay conclusions in court, Markus just denying all science entirely, can see why bad2thebone wants the conversation to be about feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Happy to let the mod point out otherwise, but pointing out a verified track record of lying does not put your personal anecdotes in good stead which is the point being made.

Bag of chips can fill in whether people can counter my lived experience of people falling off the side of the Earth or tasting moon cheese.

Keep me out of it please. I haven't been hacking at you lately so I'd appreciate if you're not undermining me or embarrassing yourself by getting personal.

• Advertisement

Any particular fact checkers that you are discounting. Are the Reuters ones working from home so should be ignored, what about the BBC ones?

Any particular facts which they have checked that you've found errors with?

Advertisement