Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jabeur is extremely tricky to be fair, lots of slices, keeping ball low. This set looks to be more of a contest!

Huh?

During the AO 2022 a number of months ago you said that you didn't know who then World Number 1 Ash Barty was.

(the 2021 Wimbledon winner and also AO 2022 winner)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd love it if Rybakina could win this . The perfect way to round out the tournament after the all england club banned russian/belarussian players to have another former russian take it home

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well jabeur is making Rybakina serve out the second set.

I got confused with a story and one post about who the Australian number one was in relation to a really fast moving COVID vaccine/tennis conversation....

No need to bring it up again and again...but you know what, I knew you would...it's a dick move but entirely predictable from you.

• Advertisement

you said you didn't know who she was (current world number 1) because you didn't follow women's tennis you said.

at least be correct about it.

I didn't say I didn't know who she was absolute nonsense. I admitted I didn't follow woman's tennis closely I didn't know she was world number 1.

I am not going to derail this thread, but you could maybe try being less of a nasty presence on here. I don't enjoy engaging with you so we are done, to ignore you go.

Her old folks must be cheering her on from her home in Moscow now.

Would be one in the eye for the Wimbledon Blazers for sure.

I don't follow woman's tennis...I never said I did.

Actual quote

You were great for the Djokovic unsubstantiated allegations at the time - not so much on the most basic of tennis facts

Bit of a turnaround!

Kinda gutted for Jabeur she has come apart really :(...hopefully the crowd can lift her!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Standard of tennis not great for a major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Those russian women are tough mentally

Double break now. That feels like that. Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Both first time finalists in a grand slam. Its natural that things would be a bit scrappy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A Russian wins Wimbledon, that's fairly hilarious.

So Wimbledon ban Russian and Belarusian players from the tournament and a Russian born player wins the woman's title ? That’s funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Crowd emptying out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭josip

Coupled with Medvedev becoming #1 because of no ranking points being awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

As a neutral I enjoyed it. I like Rybakina's humble personality after winning but feel for Jabeur

Pretty much spot on for me too. Bit gutted for Jabeur but hey she will still have other chances I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Rybakina deserved the win, seemed very nervous in the first set especially, but, she turned things around. Thought Jabeurs' shot selection at times was poor, trying to be too clever at times. Rybakina was understandably very nervous serving for the match, thought Jabeur could have done better in that game, gave Rybakina a few free points there.

I think the lack of big game experience was clear in both today. Rybakina seems to have the game to win a few more slams and should gain great confidence from winning, she comes across as very quiet and humble, didn't really look that comfortable in the spotlight afterwards. Jabeur I think might have lost her best chance of winning a slam.

• Advertisement

And has Wimbledon banning Russian and Belarusian players made a blind bit of difference to the war in Ukraine ? What turned me off the whole punishing sports people for something outside their control was how the IOC handled the paralympians from Russia and Belarusia after they’d arrived there. It was **** rotten to do that to athletes who had prepared for those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

There is quite the bromance breaking out between the two on social media. Which is about as surprising as Kgyrios getting to the final given the history between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"So Wimbledon ban Russian and Belarusian players from the tournament and a Russian born resident player wins the woman's title?"

That's what I've read anyway. Moscow born and resident. The Russian media will make great hay out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, Jabeur played a more varied game in the first set I think and Rybakina made a lot of mistakes misjudging this mixed style. But when she became more consistent in the second, it looked that Jabeur tried to play back to Rybakina style, instead of persisting with the more varied game. Some of the games were pretty close and could have gone either way with a different end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Djokovic will surely have a strategy to deal with kyrios tomorrow, he's not going to be fazed anyhow

Might even try to wind him up a little , probably start off keeping him waiting like he did Norrie

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well, I've just finished watching back, and I'm very disappointed 😞

I really hoped and thought Jabeur would do it.

But while her tail was up in the first set, when she went the break down early in the second, her body language changed unbelievably. She just looked beaten, long before she ever was.

Rybakina was like a robot in comparison, it was hard to know what she was thinking or feeling at any stage - including when she'd just won, or doing her interview with the trophy! She's young, and I'd say moderately shocked to find herself holding the Wimbledon trophy, and English isn't her first language, but I'd say her reaction after the win won't have endeared her to many!

But hats off to her, she was beaten soundly in the first set, but adapted and held her nerve to get through the next two.

But my money is on Jabeur to get to a final again first of the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Cant believe Djokovic has never won a set off Kygrios! Its only 4 nil in sets but that is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Most downbeat match/tournament/slam win I've ever seen!

Quite bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s not that weird if you look at when the matches they played actually happened. They were in 2017 when Djokovic was going through his worst ever stretch of play. He had lost in 2nd round of Australian open to istomin and around the time of playing kyrgios he was losing to players like taro Daniel and other players outside top 100. The two matches with kyrgios were only a week or two apart and not long after Djokovic went for elbow surgery. That year 2017 was the only time I think in 15 years he fell outside the top 20 in rankings. Djokovic was appalling that year

Advertisement