Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Nick will stay looser in the wimbeldon final vs the 6 time winner?

The Wimbledon odds are 1/4 in favor of djkovic

The odds are so forward in favor it is ridiculous

yes Djokovic should win but Kyrgios can stay in that mode in some matches for the full match

it has happened against good players in the Top 10 where he wiped them

He has done it this year

Djokovic has to ensure that Kyrgios can't just remain on exhibition autopilot

Djokovic was 1/2 vs 2/1 for Nadal in France - the odds don't always call the match

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whitedresscode

Having listened to both Tsitsipas and Kyrgios press interview, it has to be noted that the so called journalists are below par. The questions are angled and quotations very selective in words. Pure sensation-hunt and on top of that, war mongering. Two thumbs down to the journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I managed to stay away from news, and watched the match, just finished now.

Pretty much as I expected it to pan out.

Norrie's game was just a bit naive compared to Djokovic's - any time he had a choice of where to hit, he nearly always went the predictable way, and his shot came straight back at him. Or he put it in the net - the amount of unforced errors was shocking. He just wasn't able to second guess his opponent at all.

The post-match interview was very strange - not a lot of reaction to Djokovic (having beaten the home favourite, not surprising), and then all the booing at the mere mention of Kyrgios. The atmosphere on Sunday will be interesting!

I'll probably miss the final on Sunday, and I'm not that bothered tbh - I cannot stand Kyrgios and his antics, and I'm not a huge fan of Djokovic's either, so if somehow neither won I'd be as happy.

I'll also miss tomorrow's ladies' final, and I'm very bothered about that! I'm going to have to record and try to avoid results again - I'm hoping that Jabeur can do it on the day - rooting for old-school tennis style and finesse to triumph against the pounding of the modern power game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The best tennis all day?

Fernandez versus Hewett in the men's wheelchair tennis...absolutely cracking!

I would say the final would be well worth watching if that was anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Kygrios has nothing to lose. There's no real pressure on him except the pressure he puts on himself. There huge pressure on novak. He even mentioned it himself in his post match press conference. He's not won a grand slam since Wimbledon, and lost in the US open final when the the calendar golden slam was on the cards. He has spoken he's wants the out majors and if he doesn't win this one the chances are he will never achieve it.

Yeah with men's I will watch but not fussed tbh.

I don't mind in the woman's I think will be a good contest. Ah in fairness she switched about 4 years ago...she has been terrific as well. But both likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Women's final should be worth a watch @ 1.30

Rybakina grew up in and still lives in Moscow and has pretty much always lived there.

Both parents Russian.

The Kazakhstan Tennis Federation offered financial support in exchange for switching nationality.

It was either that or do a tennis scholarship in the US.

She took the cash and swapped at 19.

Still a Moscow resident.

Won a small title while representing Russia.

Flag swap for oil cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

While we're counting stuff, how many sets has Djokovic taken off Kyrgios? Ever. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tbf, both times they played was during one of Djokovics worst ever years, 2017.

Still have a feeling Kyrgios will rise to the occasion tomorrow. Djokovic hasn't been convincing at times this fortnight, but should have enough to get the win.

Anyone else thoroughly sick of the overdose of stats they're spitting out ad nauseum these days?

God be with the days of having mph for serve, and that was it. Then Hawkeye on request by the players. That was more than enough.

Now, between historical facts on everything from how many Weetabix a player has for breakfast, to how many forehand slice dropshots they played in the last 4.725 matches held on a Friday when the sun was shining, there's barely any time for commentary on the match any more.

Andrew Castle is the worst for it, but they're all at it.

And what pisses me off most is that the commentators have the use of Hawkeye even when the players don't challenge - there's a serious bang of the cleverest (cheating) smart alek in school about them when they say "oh, he should have challenged that time, Hawkeye shows us it was actually in/out" - so what???

Shut up and commentate on what's actually happening ffs.

Phew, now that I've got that off my chest (it's been building throughout the two weeks), I'm off to have a lovely day out sailing - and hoping to catch up on a great ladies' final this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

The latest from tennis.com says:

• 18.6% are thoroughly sick
    • 25.3% are moderately sick
    • 58.1% are unaffected

Dunno - may be helpful for a fair amount of people I'd say - a lot of people have the tennis on without actually realising what's going on in the match in terms of the strategy employed and far more interestingly strategy changes made by players in the match to try to counteract the opponent and some stats about the actual match (as opposed to how many strawberries were eaten this year) can help explain that.

The data age is here in everything and the old days are gone.

As for the Hawkeye thing during the pandemic there were no line judges for a while and it was based on the computer camera system which I thought was better.

The system is there and the "challenge" refers to the system at the end for the final say in any case.

Not sure what the "player vs line judge" hand clap stuff adds really beyond wasting some time when it's going to the computer system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Some stats popped up on the screen yesterday and John McEnroe said he'd have to figure out what they meant

Even he didn't understand them. If they improved the commentary and kept the stats basic it would do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I reckon krygios has a punchers chance if he gets off to a flyer and keeps the momentum going

Age is to his advantage and he can hold his serve as good as anyone

The players have been using these more detailed "stats" for years of course

It's also used for player development

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I want Jabeur to win today, but will admittedly laugh if Rybakina does so. I never supported the ban, nor will I ever, so there will be something quite karmic about it all if a Russian woman ends up winning it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very enjoyable so far...total contrast of styles...Jabeur breaks!

She has been "from" Kazakhstan since 2018...she isn't a Russian citizen anymore. Anyway not looking like she will win based on match so far, she is being outplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ah sure, Rybakina's parents are stuck at home in Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jabeur wins first set as rybakina’s sat nav went in the blink in the last game of the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Xander10

my recollection is that women's finals at Wimbledon tend to be dull one sided affairs? this seems to be heading the same way.

Rybakina looking out of sorts so far...that last service game in set 1...wow, Jabeur didn't really need to fully kick into gear to win that first set.

Last year's was tight and went to three sets I think? Rybakina might start to click in this second set who knows

Rybakina breaks....we might just have a contest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Must be nerves. I thought she'd run away with it tbh with her big service and return game

Advertisement