Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,037 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I really dislike Kyrgios, but still rooting for him to win. Fed up to the back teeth these “old” men still winning slams, and winning when clearly past their best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Kyrgios will have the crowd today

Djokovic will probably have his strategy ready , disrupt his service rhythm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't think he will have the crowd. There were audible boos when he his name was said to novak in the semi final. Also, I don't think the type of person who gets tickets to the Wimbledon final will ever be the kind of person who would like kygrios.

It's clear the novak isn't liked most places but he'll begrudging get the support as the least worst today.

I thought it was obvious kyrios will have the crowd

Suppose I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

I feel the domestic assault charge has thrown a bit of spanner in the works on that one. Will be interesting to see later though.

• Advertisement

The psychology will be as interesting as the tennis today

I'll be keeping an eye to see does djokovic start off by delaying the entrance to centre court again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, different audience today than from previous rounds when you had the 'scum class' (😉) cheering him on

its set up for a fascinating game, will Kygrios be up for it?? that is the key question - or will he find the whole event too daunting?

if Djokovic starts thrashing him he could just implode and give up giving the single finger to the toffs in the process "fuk you all and your fuking tournament" I wouldn't put it past him😐️

Either that or he steamrolls djokovic and wins in 3

Wouldn't surprise me if this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'd say she might have been a little bit embarrassed having won Wimbledon as a Russian when there is a ban on Russian athletes from competing but getting in through her new nationality. She was probably also a little bit worried about what kind of questions she might end up facing in the interview given the political situations or how her win will be used back "home". I'm sure she still feels very Russian on the inside.

That's how it felt to me. Someone who didnt want to celebrate publicly worried about how it might be perceived elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Yeah novak was bad that season, still ranked higher than Kygrios id say though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd agree with that, she seems very quiet and an introvert anyway, I think the political situation definitely had a bearing on her behaviour throughout the match and after winning. Also the crowd was very obviously in Jabeurs' favour as was the commentary which was very biased in Jabeurs' favour. I actually felt sorry for Rybakina especially in the first set when she seemed very overwhelmed by the situation. Jabeur actually didn't come across well at all once things went against her, kinda fell apart.

The british crowd will be 1000% up for Kygrios.

That was my thinking, bad boy underdog

Even the media got behind him and djokovic not that popular

The way it's been looking kyrgios can do no wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This men's wheelchair final is good, Hewett playing terrific, the semi he was in was also really excellent.

Yeah the assault thing didnt affect his support in the quarter.

Ya was reading that he may be excluded due to having some use of his legs and new rules

Not too sure what's happening there , it's certainly entertaining

Kyrgios is a fairly polarising character...as is Djokovic...but with the common assault allegation...I think it will be fairly mixed

When's coverage starting thought it was 1230

We will see , id be shocked if the crowd arent up for Kygrios. There will also be a large section up for the underdog and also up for seeing more tennis. If it goes 2 sets all we will see a true representation haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Djokovic will win today, but, I hope it's a competitive match, hopefully it's not a straight sets win where the outcome is never in doubt. It's been a fairly disappointing tournament so far, but, a good final would go some way to making up for it.

• Advertisement

I'll be shocked too if kyrios isn't loudly cheered

There's history with bad boys like McEnroe and they forgive him

Don't think the assault is a big factor either , nothing provn there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On Kygrios to win first set, Djokovic to win match 3-2 @ 12/1

I'm just waiting to see the crack with the psychology and does djokovic delay the start and put him off his serving rhythm

I reckon djokovic will be up for a bit of the dark arts today

These pundits need to call it as it is. Kyrgios’ behaviour towards officials, at times, is disgraceful.

I reckon this will go Djokovic 3-1 or kyrgios 3-0

I'll go with the upset krygios in straight sets

Djokovic has shown some weakness plus kyrios can hold serve

I think an upset here. What a day for it

Andrew Castle on commentary...for the love of god....the definition of inane

Kyrgios pulling out the underarm serve ha

• Advertisement

Advertisement