Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would say so looked a lot better in second set

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Normal service resumed. Norrie struggling badly now.

Djokovic breaks in third set....

Errr that kinda feels like that is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

ah cmon...like ffs...are the BBC commentators in earnest or what, the dogs in the street could see Norrie getting nowhere in this match.

Djokovic changed his strategy from the start of the match

He tightened up his game and hit more conservative shots

Missed too many aggressive ones

'Norrie is proving not as consistent so losing points

Not the most "beautiful" strategy but he had to adapt to what works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Xander10

If Norrie is #12 in World Tennis, then the future doesn't look great for quality tennis, when the Big 3 are gone.

you only need a decent and CONSISTENT top 8 to have a good consistent tour in the later stages of tournaments

and preferably good rivalries

(quarterfinals and beyond)

beyond the top 8 matters far far less

who the fook knows or cares who was no 12 in the era of Borg, Connors and McEnroe, of Becker and Edberg et al, of Agassi and Sampras

nobody does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

How did Norrie win that first set?? I didn't see it but he must have played lights out, or Djokovic had a mare. Either way, he looks a gonner now, very pedestrian game, no attacking weapons. Djokovic, fwiw, doesn't even look that good but, then again, doesn't have to be. Poor quality match so far

Whenever Djokovic puts on the cap he means business.

He has figured out Norrie here and how to win it

Norrie has tried to react by hitting big early but that just makes him hit more mistakes through impatience

He needs to be more patient to have a chance

Kind of one way traffic now. Djokovic serve much better now.

In truth Norrie had a very kind draw and managed a set here which is more than I expected. Shame he doesn't get any points for it!

• Advertisement

Let's go Norrie

let's go home

• Registered Users Posts: 55,037 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not watching much, but is Nole even playing that well? These younger players are fooking "useless."

He is playing how he needs to win this match

you only need to start taking more risks if you need to

like when he was playing Sinner

Norrie is only in this position because 2 Top 10 players were banned before the draw and another 3 good grass court players went out with Covid also

Norrie fist pumping the fact he's only down the one break of serve. Sums it up.

Doesn't need to tbh so why kill himself he has a final coming up.

Norrie has done the most with what his talents are tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whitedresscode

Personally never really liked Tsitsipas when saw him first times. He was emotionally unstable in many games back then. However, he has matured in my eyes. Especially after he explained in French Open that his grandmother had recently passed away.

Somehow that put him in a spot, in my eyes, where I understood perhaps where he was coming from. After that moment he seemed more in control of his outbursts.

Now Kyrios, seems more like an attitude issue. Seeing his tshirt ( Dennis Rodman ) really cements that.

His ways are not only immature, it is what you would expect from a 15 year old punk from the shady streets. Irresponsable ( he is in a camera an object for youth to idolize ). Not to mention that it is primitive, petty and completely devoid of self-respect. No sense of dignity. His trich serving reminds me of Michael Chang, even Ivan Lendl. It is poor sportsman ship. Actually a cheap way of cheating. And I am not even taking into consideration the psychological aspects it renders the opponents.

Unfortunately, Nadal will not lesson him up. My wish is that the finals opponent refuses to play him. Let him stand there and fist-pump, open his mouth like a furious gorilla.

Shred and destroy all what tennis once stood for. In stead of answering direct questions he laughs it off, shakes his head ( really it is same as pissing on Wimbledon tournament, history and all the past players!)

He doesnt even take responsability of his own action. A treat that only cowards and snakes use.

I will NOT watching a single game with Kyrios!

He makes the worst possible PR for Australia.

It is so anti-macho!

Spoiled kid with no upbringing. Feel sorry for his parents. Truly.

Someone should smack his fingers.

No Kyrios! That is not how you do it!

crowd booing...lol

Djokovic through pretty straightforward in the end.

Could be a very fiery final!

Tbh I am not a huge fan of either of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Even in 2nd gear Novak wins handy, wonder did he gift Norrie the first set?? just to make him feel at ease😶

• Advertisement

Interesting response from the crowd to kygrios. People can't give out about how appalling player behaviour has been but I would argues that has simply been mirrored by the sig ificsnt drop in the behaviour of the crowds who attend matches.

There is no excuse for Kyrgios's on-court behaviour

Spiting at fans, shouting for an opponent to be defaulted and calling for "supervisors", incessant annoyance of umpires with complete rubbish (such as "this court is different to the other one" at Miami)

Then when he has fans on his side like at the AO he will wilfully act the bollix and rile them up to annoy opponents

He may not do it every match but it's always only a matter of time until he does it again

The guy never admits that he's wrong. Child-like ego. Anti-social attention-seeking conduct.

He's a mental midget and an obvious narcissist

I’ve seen nothing over the last few days that would lead me to believe that anyone other than Novak will win on Sunday.

Kyrgios is likely in a heap right now- first Wimbledon final; crowd likely against him; inconsistent play albeit I’m looking forward to mega aces throughout; 4 days off before final; total inexperience at this level with a well developed habit of throwing his toys out of pram ; just not in the same league .

I’m predicting the same result as today- Kyrgios to win first set either tie breaker or 7-5 - then next 3 sets to Novak-job done.

Todays “match” was a practice session for Novak - Sunday, while more challenging and closer scores will still be a 4 setter in under 3.5 hours

Therez my colours nailed to the mast- anyone else care to embarrass themselves at this stage and do the same ? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

I think Nick would have been a nightmare for djkovic in the first round or 2nd round. In a final it is less likely, unless his age comes into play

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

Kyrgios is in unknown territory here, the final day of a Grand Slam. As the financial service products remind us, "past performance is no guarantee of future behaviour". If Djokovic has one of his more common slow starts and Kyrgios finds himself a set or 2 up, he might surf the wave, stay in the groove, whatever, but not have any reason to trigger a mental collapse. I would have preferred Djokovic to play Nadal than Kyrgios in the final, even with the risk of a 23-20 unassailable lead for Nadal that that could have brought. When Kyrgios plays well and with abandon, he can beat anyone.

Really? A competitor with 22 majors, who won the last 2 majors, A proven winner that can raise his game levels , that doesn't self destruct if he loses a point/game/set vs a guy in his first major final who does the complete opposite. ..

Post edited by sxt on

You're right

If Kyrgios manages to stay "loose" he's dangerous.

In that mode he just hits shots as if he's in an exhibition match.

Particularly if he's serving a high first serve in % also .

Nick does not have the composure nor the experience to win a major

He also doesn't have the will to win at any cost's mentality like any player that has won majors

you're sort of missing the point made by two separate people

if he just stays loose and rattles off 3 sets in exhibition mode with quick service games and some "slap" shots he won't need to test any composure.

Djokovic will have to make sure to find a way to make sure that "he's put to the test"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Likewise, couldn't really care who wins. Be good though if it's decisive: a thrashing by Djok handed out to Krygios or the latter to hammer Novak and crow all about how great he really is :)

As for tomorrow, somewhat likewise but would prefer to see Jabeur prevail over the Russian Kazak.

Advertisement