Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is our connection with Wales so weak?

Options
  • 07-07-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

This always seems very strange to me in terms of our cultural geography. It's fairly popular to class Ireland together with Wales, Scotland, Brittany, Cornwall and the Isle of Man under the Celtic heading. But I would say out of all these we only really feel a strong affinity to the Scots. We share similar historic languages, we have similar cultural traits, there's been lots of movement back and forth over the centuries between us. It's still not particularly close (in the way that, say, the Scandinavian countries all feel bound together), but we recognise ourselves in each other to some degree.

For the rest, the connections seem to be more academic (languages, legends and mythology) than anything really tangible in the modern day. I think it's particularly surprising with Wales - they're right across the sea from us, stuck in between ourselves and our historical overlords (who definitely loom large in our minds). Historically speaking any route from our east coast which didn't travel directly north had to skirt past Wales at some stage. It's still a big part of the modern overland route to England, whether through Holyhead or Fishguard or anywhere else.

But Wales really doesn't feature in our cultural worldview. Our languages diverged thousands of years ago and they are very different nowadays, on the surface it's quite hard to see any connections between them. There wasn't a movement of people between us in the same way that there was across the Straits of Moyle to Scotland, even in modern times very few Irish people seemed to have settled in Wales specifically. Politically we've never been close either, as far as I can tell. And even to the average Irish person, we would tend to know very little about Wales other than experiences from taking the ferry or the annual Six Nations clash. How many Irish people would know about the Eisteddfod? Or who Plaid Cymru are?

Geographically speaking, they are the nearest neighbour for most of us. So why aren't there deeper ties between us? Did British rule stifle the connection maybe? Are they too small to exert much influence on us? Or is there actually a real connection that's just a bit less obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Because theyre all pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Welsh have always had a “dislike” for us. I don’t think we think too much about them.

Back in the day, when the sport of rugby was in its infancy, the Welsh wouldn’t select players with “Irish sounding” names. Some were selected but they were forced to drop the O’ in their surname, if they had one.

Then, they refused to turn up, along with the Scotch, for the 1972 championship. One we were in a great position to win. After that they, again along with the Scotch, wouldn’t vote for us to host the rugby World Cup.

I would say we have, a lot, more reasons to hate them, than vice versa.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I deal with 3 companies in Wales despite our larger manufacturing site and HQ being in England would prefer to ring us in Ireland and deal with the brexit paperwork, rather than order from England

Yea. Must be because they hate the Irish

I've always thought the "connection" ireland feels for Scotland is more for the influx of Irish they had to places like Glasgow. The last influx Scots the Irish had were largely a pain in the hole. They bang a fair drum though on the 12th.

..and there's still dick heads wearing kilts at their wedding here. Wasn't cool 20 years ago, still isn't. You're Irish, not Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I used to travel into wales for work and always found them to be pretty insular and sullen, apart from when they were taking the p**$ out of me.

Maybe things are different now though. That was nearly 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Kilts were originally Irish. Irish settled/conquered a large part of Scotland. The "Scoti" which actually originally an Irish tribe.

The Irish invented both kilts and bagpipes for the laugh, but forgot to tell the Scots that they were only a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Consider how masculine that skirt actually appears I’d wear one; especially in this weather fairly tore up about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wales has always been more insular than Scotland, or even England. They have just 3 million people, they tend not to migrate as much.

Over Covid lockdown I traced my own family line back to the Cambro-Norman Lords and Knights that had land in Wales before coming to Ireland with and after Strongbow. So I intend to find out a bit more about Wales and where they lived, maybe even get a steer to trace back further to the European continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's the modern day. You can wear what you like without excuse or justification needed.

I’m not identifying as Scottish 😅

sooner be perceived as a lady again let me have a rifle, hang on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wales is not a real "country". It's a province of the United Kingdom, like Scotland, until they grow a pair and leave. Until then I honestly couldn't care less about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I was a kid, we used to get HTV, the Welsh regional version of ITV, on Cablelink in Dublin. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, they switched to UTV. That was pretty much the end of my cultural exposure to our brythonic brethren. Although I did see Welsh-language punk band Anhrefn play in Charlies in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I reckon when the Irish and Welsh first met each other back in the day, neither could make head nor tail what the other was saying, so both decided to leave each other alone. It's why most of Ireland leaves Wexford alone.

So is the stena line. I think relations are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wasn't the largest vote for Brexit based in Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No. England, at 53%, Wales 52

Some way behind Scotland at 38% leave and Northern Ireland at 44%

Still can't get my head around that level of thickness though... baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Personally I still hold a grudge over them giving us Saint Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think the Scots like the Irish as much as you imagine they do, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Welsh hate the Irish 😳, utter nonsense, I worked and lived in Wales and have retained many friendships over the years, actually fantastic people and country IMO.

The Welsh and Irish actually very similar in many ways.

Isle of Man 🤔 well that's one weird place I have to say, can't think of a positive thing to say about the place, just out there in every respect.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the island of Great Britain Scotland has fared much better at holding on to it's own identity than Wales.

The King of Scotland James IV became King James I of England in the early 1600s.

And it took another 100 years for the Act of Union between Scotland and England.

Wales on the other hand had been politically integrated with England centuries before that.

As a result for most of us the Welsh are just a little higher on the scale of having their own identity than the Manx, Cornish or the Bretons in France.

Whereas Scotland is much higher on that same scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, there is a even difference on that scale between being “Welsh” and being “from Wales”.

You’ll hear, more, highly thought of people being described as from Wales, whereas less desirables will be called Welsh.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This thing people say about being similar and having same culture is completely false in my opinion.

Lots of similarities in Ireland like food or architecture etc are basically colonial remnants.

When I deal with British people, whilst I find many very nice, I do feel we're very different. Our outlook on life and the world is very different. That's why we're independent and we have very different views on class, Brexit, royalty, aristocracy etc.

Don't feel we're similar at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not sure why you posted this in After Hours?

A lot has to do with media & societal perception I think - the supposed special relationship with Scotland is often talked up, whereas we love to give out about the Brits. The Welsh are somewhere in the middle, a bit invisible to us.

In reality there have been and are strong enough cultural links across the Irish Sea between Wexford in particular and Wales. For all sorts of historical trade and settlement reasons. Twas the 'Normans' who arrived and landed in Bannow Bay etc and subsequently built many castle in the SE. These 'Normans' were largely from Wales and down the coast to Cornwall as far as I understand it. So maybe that colours our modern views. In recent years, there have been at least a couple of joint EU schemes linking communities on both sides - gone now of course with Brexit.

In terms of Scotland, look up the sixth century Dál Riata, Dalriada kingdom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1l_Riata which extended from Ulster to Scotland and is largely why Scots Gaelic and Irish Gaeilge are similar. In many ways, the depised Ulster Plantation was just a reversal of this movement and of course many people from Ulster went for work in Scotland etc

Likewise it's generally thought that the kingdom(s) of Laigin/ Leinster shared territory across into Wales and the Lleyn area is named for same reason. Read a book once where the author claimed the Leinster clans invaded a large part of Wales at one stage.

In truth, the whole history between these islands is far more complicated than the usual '800 years of occupation' narrative. We were at it too and genetically there'd be very little difference between all of us.

I've met a few Welsh people and found them very decent and likeable, easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The thing is the Welsh are actually the English who were forced out of England and the English now are Germans who moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I think it’s a religious thing, Welsh were traditionally Methodist and pretty anti-Catholic. And there was no history of emigration from Ireland to Wales to develop diaspora ties

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Short, stocky pricks tbh.

Went to a British school and the Welsh kids were short, but nasty, and were at the vanguard with the Irish slurs, but seemed to really get offended when I would reference their affection toward the sheep so I guess it balanced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Good to see a balance between the comments that have some substance and the buffoonery of "because they're pricks"

But it is After Hours so I'll be expecting more of the latter than the former

And being from Wales and being Welsh... I'll not generalise as the buffoons would do, but like all places, Wales & Ireland have their fair share of "pricks"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Very interesting OP. Shame about the responses. Some Irish really are loathsome.

Wales is famously associated with mining, which I imagine was an indigenous industry. Irish people would have emigrated to industrial cities to work in factories, so ended up in London, Scotland and the north of England, not Wales.

But even with our extensive links with the rest of the UK, I don’t notice any flourishing cultural connection with Scotland. There are historical reasons for that, chief among them being that Northern unionists trace their lineage back to Scotland. But if Irish nationalism were a mature, virtuous movement, it would have sought to forge connections with Scottish nationalism.

• Advertisement

Cardiff is a great town to go drinking in.

Advertisement