Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Cailin Ciuin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Okay, that answers that ;)

Were you at a screening with a Q&A with filmmakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah I went to a preview screening - Q&A with the director and some of the crew - twas a fab night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I was talking to someone about the film and they told there is (or maybe they was) a Gaeltacht area in Waterford around Ring - which is apparently where the Kinsella farm is supposed to be.

I don’t think any filming was done in Waterford though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Filming was done somewhere in Meath, and yes there was (and still is) a Gaeltacht pocket around Ring/An Rinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Heard him praising it on Brett Goldsteins podcast. Great publicity. Totally deserving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I saw this last night in an almost packed theatre. What a beautiful film, very nostalgic for me, and for most of us watching, judging by the laughter and response.

One of the earlier scenes with Eibhlín and Cáit going to the well for the first time together, wow, simply stunning. And that's probably what made it work so well, it seemed very low tech, very normal, easy going and believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Only repeating what others are saying, but what a beautiful film!

As an earlier poster said, Irish critics can go overboard in their praise of any half-decent Irish film, so I was a little suspect beforehand, but boy did they hit the nail on the head with this one.

I almost never enjoy child actors' performances, as they are almost always overacting, but the little girl (Catherine Clinch) was just magnificent. Her understanding of the nuances and subtlety of human behaviour/expression was amazing for someone so young.

Highly recommended.

2 mates in Sydney say it last night as part of their film fest - standing ovations.. loved it.. one said it didn't even need words at times.. wow.. they had Q&A with crew and some cast too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There any hints or suggestions where this might turn up on Streaming at all?

no idea..

but you gotta see it in cinema.. for the impact.. (big screen, audience, ambiance and lack of distractions)

• Advertisement

TG4 were involved with production so I imagine they’d have the right to screen it first?

Great to see 100% review on rotten tomatoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s actually available on VOD on the likes of IFI@Home and Volta from today. It was released on Curzon on Demand on release day in the UK but think they held it back in Ireland to go full theatrical.

TG4 rights will probably mean it’ll be delayed a bit showing up on catalogue sites.

I see this was put forward as the Irish entry for Best International Film at the Oscars. I know there's a world of extraordinary movies being made, but you'd have to imagine this will be right in contention. It's such a slight little movie, but it packs such an emotional punch and was so beautifully shot.

yes I heard this tonight too.. well deserved.. and I am v particular

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Saw this recently enough. Absolutely bawled. Gorgeous film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Can you cast these movies to the tv if you buy them from IFI/Volta etc?

Would def consider paying if it would work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can indeed - I've watched a few IFI films at home and I've been able to AirPlay them to my TV without issue. Their guide says Chromecast is supported too. It's been a while since I've used Volta but I'd imagine it's the same deal with that.

IFI has a test film if you want to test your setup: https://www.ifihome.ie/film/test-your-setup/

It's also available on the likes of iTunes and YouTube Movies now.

Also, while its Oscar submission is wonderful news (it should be a genuine contender), don't forget the film's most historic, unprecedented achievement: managing to generate a boards.ie thread and not attracting a single negative comment in three months 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I haven't heard a single bad word about it at all!! That's a new one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Deleted

Post edited by Christy Browne on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

A fabulous film. loved every minute. I rented it from Sky Store don't usually rent anything, subscription expensive enough but it was a fiver well spent.

I rented it too. Didn’t lose anything in its 2nd viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

What a gem. I both hate and love how little attention it gets on an Irish movie forum compared to whatever the latest Hollywood superhero movie is. It deserves the plaudits it does get.

I haven't bought a movie in years but would love to own a copy (and support it). Where would be the best place to buy it, YouTube? I presume it will be released on DVD too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone got a Twitter account that they could send this thread those involved in the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

I watched this last night, it's not really the kind of film I would normally watch but I did out of a sense of patriotic duty I suppose. Incredibly powerful and emotive, one of the best movies to ever be made in Ireland without a doubt. The ending couldn't fail to get a reaction from even the most cold-hearted person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had to pause this halfway through because of other commitments: but ... oh my god.

Is this the most artistically beautiful film Ireland has produced? Like, ever? 'cos I'm genuinely struggling to think of a film this accomplished, so precise and immaculate. It has been astonishing to watch.

All the film has needed to do is settle the camera on Catherine Clinch's constantly wounded look, and I'm barely holding back floods of tears.

Finally finished this and honestly it just blew me away. Didn't genuinely think Irish Cinema had that kind of visual identity and nous in the first place, nevermind being able to produce something this effecting.

Anyone who says they didn't well up at that final, single line of devastating dialogue, is a goddamn lier or robot.

My concern in terms of Oscars etc for this is the English parts of it, non Irish people aren't able to understand. I watched it with some fluent English speakers, but as their second language. They had no idea about any of the other dialogue aside from the Irish that was subtitled. So I hope they subtitle it completely for foreign distribution otherwise it won't get the recognition it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Is this suitable for children? I bought it on blu-ray, but not watched it yet. Would it be okay for a 10 year old?

The case suggests a bit of bad language, which I don't mind.

Advertisement