Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Cailin Ciuin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

A fabulous film. loved every minute. I rented it from Sky Store don't usually rent anything, subscription expensive enough but it was a fiver well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I rented it too. Didn’t lose anything in its 2nd viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

What a gem. I both hate and love how little attention it gets on an Irish movie forum compared to whatever the latest Hollywood superhero movie is. It deserves the plaudits it does get.

I haven't bought a movie in years but would love to own a copy (and support it). Where would be the best place to buy it, YouTube? I presume it will be released on DVD too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone got a Twitter account that they could send this thread those involved in the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

I watched this last night, it's not really the kind of film I would normally watch but I did out of a sense of patriotic duty I suppose. Incredibly powerful and emotive, one of the best movies to ever be made in Ireland without a doubt. The ending couldn't fail to get a reaction from even the most cold-hearted person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had to pause this halfway through because of other commitments: but ... oh my god.

Is this the most artistically beautiful film Ireland has produced? Like, ever? 'cos I'm genuinely struggling to think of a film this accomplished, so precise and immaculate. It has been astonishing to watch.

All the film has needed to do is settle the camera on Catherine Clinch's constantly wounded look, and I'm barely holding back floods of tears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally finished this and honestly it just blew me away. Didn't genuinely think Irish Cinema had that kind of visual identity and nous in the first place, nevermind being able to produce something this effecting.

Anyone who says they didn't well up at that final, single line of devastating dialogue, is a goddamn lier or robot.

My concern in terms of Oscars etc for this is the English parts of it, non Irish people aren't able to understand. I watched it with some fluent English speakers, but as their second language. They had no idea about any of the other dialogue aside from the Irish that was subtitled. So I hope they subtitle it completely for foreign distribution otherwise it won't get the recognition it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Is this suitable for children? I bought it on blu-ray, but not watched it yet. Would it be okay for a 10 year old?

The case suggests a bit of bad language, which I don't mind.

No, I don't think a child would enjoy this. It's not a kid's movie but a slow, wistful story that happens to start a girl coming out of her shell - a 10 year old would likely be dreadfullly bored.

Okay, thanks.

I might give it a go anyway. She watched Petite Maman when we all watched it together, so probably worth a try. Would be nice to attempt an Irish language film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It would be very similar tonally to Petite Maman, just without that film’s more whimsical side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

In my opinion, a 10 year old wouldn’t be emotionally mature or patient enough to appreciate it, but there’s nothing bad in it in terms of violence/sex scenes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Cried again on the 3rd viewing.

Impossible not to be moved by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Crossed the million at the Ireland & UK Box office

Finally got around to watching this. Slow moving, deliberate, goodlooking film. A very sombre tone, but not downbeat. It was engrossing and we didn't notice the time pass in spite of the slow pace. Acting was excellent all round (I don't recognise any of the actors): Cáit made for a very sympathetic character and was well played, especially for a child actor.

It makes for an interesting double bill with After Yang: not just theme-wise, but also the aesthetic (both spend a lot of time in moving cars 🙂).

My daughter sat through it. She didn't understood everything that was unsaid, but there were enough events in the story that related to real life that drew her in (the wake, the run to the post box etc). Some bad language, but nothing I would worry about. It's worth watching with kids. A nice change from the usual stuff aimed at kids. We watched The Secret of Roan Inish last weekend and both our kids' attention wavered more during that than this. I don't think they'll be looking to watch it again, but I'm glad they sat trhough it once!

Rotten Tomatoes ranked it as the best movie of 2022. Getting a limited release in NY and LA next week ahead of a more general release in the States in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wow. That seems awfully high up. I don't think that the story really hooks you if you didn't grow up in that kind of environment - Ireland, and especially in the 70's and 80's. I liked the movie, I actually thought it was reminiscent of some things Bergman did, with camera shots of trees from below while laying on the seat of a car. But I thought overall as a movie with basically no surprises, with characters who seemed to be very predictable in their backstories and behaviours, it was 'o.k..' Kind of like 'Once' which was widely acclaimed here, but really was also sort of 'meh' without a lot to the story or the acting. The music was good though.

Not that I can come up with a competitor for 'best movie of 2022.' Probably in the running for best Foreign Film in the Oscars. It's gotten zero golden globe nominations, although the "Banshees of Inisheerin" have a couple. Likely that doesn't bode well for Oscars.

• Advertisement

going to see it for a 2nd time this week - can't wait - I think I will enjoy it in a different way on the 2nd viewing - at least I won't be on the edge of my seat so much.. looking forward to being absorbed in it... such a hypnotic work of art..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,501 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Mangold a fan

Ha; I was already a bit of a fan of Mangold as a total pro, but this just bumped him up in my estimation. Fantastic to see the film being boosted and getting its due praise.

i went to see this again last night - what an incredible journey.. and I ended up bawling again - and I don't cry easily.. but the look on Sean's face as he's saying goodbye.... good grief.. and then she runs after the car.. heart wrenching

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see it's made it onto the short list for the Oscars this year. Hopefully it makes it to the nominations now too, but even if it doesn't, it's still a great achievement.

also, on the 2nd viewing I appreciated the soundtrack so much more - wow its just unreal.. this movie almost doesn't need words.. the acting, scenery and music along evoke and tell so much

It's rather spectacular really, given the relative size of the film as a whole - and its deeply Irish sensibility. Obviously it translated fine more than I would have guessed, as i had presumed it was simply too specific to Ireland (and to a specific era of Ireland at that) to work overseas. Guess not.

Always helps mind you when the final film is utterly gorgeous to look at; I'm still in awe a microbudget film had the space and time to make as many precise images and scenes as it did.

It's been an interesting experience reading the Letterboxd reviews for it. It's surprising, as you say, how much of it translates outside of Ireland, but every now and then there's just a completely wild take on it. The most recent one I read was a long rant about how nobody seems to care that the dad is sexually abusing Cait?! He even complains that critics don't mention it in reviews because its so unsubtle that it's not open for interpretation.

There's also quite a few "I didn't know Irish was a language" ones.

it deserved to be short listed for a lot more categories but meh the Oscars.. rubbing grease on fat pigs bums kind of affair..

Q do ye think it will be re-released in cinema's after the Oscars? a mate of mine never got to see it in cinema..

• Advertisement

Some cinemas were still showing it until fairly recently, and I see a few like the Lighthouse in Dublin are showing it as part of their best films of the year event.

If it makes the nominations in January I'd say there's a good chance it would get another wide run here. Other than that some of the smaller independent cinemas might show it again if there was a few requests for it.

Woof, that's some interpretation. I mean the dad was clearly a total piece of shít but abuse seemed like a stretch. Funny that it took me a minute to think "... Oh, the real dad", as opposed to her adoptive one

The director is on letterboxd, cos at the risk of being smug, I'm moderately sure my review got a like from him lol. I'm glad the communal response has been so positive if so, cos god knows you can get sucked into doomscrolling negativity. Would be curious to see their previous but I think it was some TV4 docudrama.

They're so convinced in their review that I even stopped for a second to think if I had missed something. But nope, I think they've wildly misinterpreted the whole film. Funnily enough they still gave it a 3.5 star review and a ❤.

I think it's the directors feature debut, so we're getting in at the ground floor, so to speak.

The cinematographer is another one to watch. Kate McCullough, she did Arracht too, and a few familiar documentaries. Her next film seems to be The Unlikely Pilgramage of Harold Fry, with director Hettie McDonnald. She won an award at the recent European film awards too.

I've seen people say it's not difficult to make such a beautiful place look lovely, and I'm thinking it's a field in Meath?! It's hardly the rugged Kerry coastline.

director and cinematographer are married.. I was at a Q&A of the screening with the director.. a v humble quiet guy

His wife is one of the producers, not the cinematographer.

Oh god this was gorgeous

i loved every single bit of it and absolutely bawled at the end. I am going to rewatch this again and again. Some poster here said it was like they wernt watching actors…that’s so true, and to me growing up in farmhouse in the 80s, I felt I was right with them or something…I could picture myself in that kitchen.

this must be a boards Christmas miracle is it to have not a single negative review on a film thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

Going to see this this week, will get me out of the house as the old cabin fever can set in after a few days. Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

When trying to stream this movie, any idea when the subtitles kick in? Are they onscreen? Embedded or only for select scenes?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No piracy talk please.

The film is legitimately available on multiple VOD platforms. It’s a tiny, small budget Irish film: it deserves your support.

IFI and Light House have it back for end of year encore screenings at the moment, and I know arts centres like the Mermaid in Bray and Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire are also bringing it back in January, presumably due to the level of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I enjoyed it as an Irish made film with references to a time I recognise. At the risk of saying the king has no clothes, I also thought it rather over hyped. Lot of promotional help & people pushing it one suspects just because it's an Irish language film. Be surprised if it gets far in the Oscars thing. Maybe better on the big screen rather than TV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah well it was good while it lasted 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lot of promotional help & people pushing it one suspects just because it's an Irish language film.

Or. It's a good movie people have championed because good Irish movies are like hen's teeth. Going double for ones with legitimately amazing cinematography. There isn't always an angle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To get 95 posts in before the first negative comment is an absolute miracle on this site.

well i hope the director et al are having a fab new years eve - they 100% deserve it.. wow wow wow.. xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Rented it on Google tonight. My wife and I were blown away. Beautiful piece of film making and emotinally draining and rewarding Both of us spent summers in rural Ireland but in happier surroundings

I did feel that the 'real' Dad was abusing too. At the start the kids go quiet when he enters the room when they are having breakfast before school. Then Cait asks her new 'mom' whether the trip they are taking is to be kept secret. Finally, at the end, did the eldest sister have a bruise?

• Advertisement
Advertisement