Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many penalty points allowed to be given in one sitting?

Options
  • 06-07-2022 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,

my friend recently got stopped for speeding and got two other tickets for seperate offences, they total to 7 points which is off the road for her being a learner driver. she needs car for work etc so was planning on paying two fines and going to court asking the judge through a solicitor for amnesty.

anyway the solicitor has rang her two days ago and said that they cant hand out 7 points in one sitting that he has confirmed that with the rsa so pay all fines and they will only send the 3 points for the highest offence on the day.

now im no expert but i think its bull and all points will be added on once fines are paid and the rsa will ask for the licence to be surrendered for the 6 month ban.

anybody know the correct answer?

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I once got pulled over for 3 offences, driving down north Frederic street (bussed only apparently), speeding (to overtake a bus in my way), and parking in a handicap spot (was just running into burgerking for a quick one) - guard that pulled my over pointed out these infringements and stated the penalty for each, said he could only do me for one, and actually gave me the choice of which one to be done for, so I took the latter for a small fine and 1 penalty point.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

You only get the higher of the points of the offence ie if two offences were 2 points each and another offence was 3 points then you only get 3 points. They don't add up to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

so she will only get 3 points when she pays for the seperate 3 tickets. well thats good news for her, i thought they totted up per offence good to know!

Yep, happened to me when I was caught for 2 offences. Paid both fines and recieved just the points from one of the offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭User1998

So moral of the story if your going to break the law you might as well break several laws at once😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Offences totalling 7 points is not easy to achieve.

Your friend would want to wise up in a hurry if she wants to keep driving. Her insurer will certainly be interested in her penalty points.

speeding, driving unaccompanied and no L plates but as other poster has mentioned she will only receive which ever has the highest point the rest will be scrapped.

And they last 3 years 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 68,095 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If she needs her car for work, she'll get another driving unaccompanied quite quickly by the sounds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

You get the fines for any offence but you only get the points for the highest offence at same time they were all committed. You do not get points for every offence commited as the same time. Worth nothing she would then be on the gaurds radar as having committed multiple points offences so she should stay by the book if she expects to keep her licence going forward.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement

Has anybody go a ladder here to help Henry down

Yeah she was repeatedly told to do driving test when 12 lessons were completed but what can you do! you can only lead a horse to water as they say! I was just wondering for future reference in case i ever get more than one offence doubtful but never say never having a full licence i can have upto 11 not that i ever want that many i have 3 coming of in less than a year be back to 0 then 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I feel quite justified in both being critical of this driver and of offering some relevant advice too.

What's your issue with that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As someone visiting from the UK said its like Buy One get as many as you like for free.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Fckin hell what did she do to get 7?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its a real pity they dont give all 7 at once and keep idiots like this off the road for 6 months.

It should be part of the road traffic act.

sorry needs the car to get to work! i don't know tbh i was just wanting to know if she were going to be put off the road for totting up to many points. i agree that she should have done her test driving about 3 years now madness

No idea as i wasn't there probably running late maybe? only speculation though think she said it was a 60km going into an 80km. can't remember how much over she said she was but obviously enough to get pulled

But you didn’t offer any relevant advice, just hopped up on the high horse.

Incorrect. Read my original reply again.

I don't think it should be beyond the ability of a learner permit holder to comply with her license and insurance conditions.

If pointing that out means I'm high horsing it in your view then I'm afraid you'll just have to live with it.

• Advertisement

In her defence she could be on N plates as there is a lot of confusion coming from people who sat their test long before the N plate system came in some folk don't understand it but both have 6 point limit.

I remember relatives asking me was I able to drive on my own with N plates on my car or was I able to drive on the motorway with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The car should have been crushed on the spot.

She'll only get points for one offence. I wouldn't mention the points to the insurance company. Probably best to get the test sorted sooner than later and ignore the high horse brigade on boards (there are a handful of people in Ireland who have never, ever done a single thing wrong in their lives - and they all post on boards).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

N plates are only fitted after you have passed your test and need to be displayed for 2 years. You can drive unaccompanied on N plates .

The op said his friend never sat her test after taking her 12 lessons.

So she was driving without L plates, speeding and unaccompanied. She should have been put off the road for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The friend can't be on "N" plates if she hasn't taken and passed a driving test. She is driving on a learner permit to and from work, so she is basically driving with no license and insurance. We can be pretty sure there is no licensed driver with her. It would be safer for everyone to see her learner permit revoked. 3 years and no test application? There's procrastination and then there's taking the mick. Garda should have taken the car off her.

Stay Free

Missed that part apologies and yes I'm aware of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I love all the holier than thou posts here for something that was common practise until not THAT long ago (until the powers that be saw an opportunity to further monetise getting on the road under the guise of "safety").

I wonder how many of those pontificating got their provisional and took to the roads at will? Without any/minimal formal lessons perhaps? Not that I expect any to admit it.

OP's friend was in the wrong. Will pay her fines and get the points under the law. Her insurance will increase accordingly and being a learner she has less future leeway/tolerance so it's more likely to have a lasting impact on her than a full license holder for whom the first 3 points are meaningless in most cases. You'd think she'd killed granny or something the way some of the replies are here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You need to head over to a place where they still practice public stoning. You'd be in your element there. Ordinary members of the public can join in and throw stones at the condemned in some of those places, get all the aggression out of their system and walk home with a contented smile on their face knowing justice has been served

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP your friend will have to behave herself. She will have to sit here test and get here N plate. However for the next two years she has only no leeway. A speeding offence will put her off the road. Any minor in a car she is driving not with a seat belt, on a booster or whatever appropriate safety device they should be on will see her without her licence.

She is literally on her last chance

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Delete

Post edited by mikeecho on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement