Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreadful..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Person should do the maximum amount of prison time and never, ever be allowed to drive and a lengthy community service after.

A career potentially ended but these trauma of it is probably going to take some coming back from.

Possibility of it being politicised to finally make some system for taking complaints seriously but also simplifying the process.

Best of luck to the victim though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she's a mother of young children AFAIK, so a long custodial sentence would not be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

She wasn't worrying about the kids when driving under the influence, and leaving an injured man on the road to die..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭standardg60

I really don't understand statements like this. So if it was anyone else the book should be thrown at them?

Whatever happened to justice being blind.

If she was drunk then who's to say the kids would be better off without her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Horrific stuff, she has to do time for something like this but knowing our soft justice system I wouldn't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

That's for the investigation to determine, but other media outlets reported she was at least tested for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Same, feck other circumstances, every action should be punished for what it was. Kids and their family life should have nothing to do with it! She severely injured someone and should be punished accordingly. Driving off, and if reports are correct, under the influence exacerbates it for me and judges really need to start doing their job! She'll get feck all for this, she shouldnt be allowed drive again and should see a cell. That poor guy has to live with that for the rest of his life, she should feel some tiny piece of his pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If driver was a young father what then?

Maybe if the mother looking behind her doing 120km/h on the N40 had been jailed less people would be inclined to take chances with the safety of other road users.

If we don't jail someone who runs from scene because she's a mother, when do we jail a mother?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you and a few others. maybe a discussion for the legal forum rather than here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible. The poor man.

Only utter scum leave the scene of an accident having injured someone. Spare me the excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Please God let it not be Judge Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Do we let all mothers of young children away with committing any crime? Murder someone, ah she has kids so forget about it.

From what I read in some reports it was her own partner who called the Gardai after she landed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Horrific stuff, thankfully someone managed to tourniquet the leg before he died. But his life has changed forever.

I have to wonder about all these close passes, intimidation & punishment buzzes and general state these people are in when they decide to get behind the wheel.

I'd given up cycling to school with the kids a year ago. To many chunts making it uncomfortable, blaring their horns when I'm overlapping the back wheel of my 12 year old girls bike, close passing, overtaking and turning left 2 metres away, pulling in on top of us, overtaking with oncoming traffic, ignoring my very obvious hand signals and blocking us, revving behind us to move us along...

I'd love to be cycling, the kids are excellent cyclists, the went from balance bikes to proper bikes, they know the rules of the road, I was a cycle courier, I lived in Dublin City for 12 years without a car fully reliant on bikes...

But they're on the scooters and skateboards until things improve.

The chunts won.

As would anyone with any morals. Christ if the missus arrived home pissed with a foot hanging off the car i'd like to think adopting the Mrs Lovejoy approach would be the last thing on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It is terrible to read this. I thought it was reported the driver was under the influence of alcohol. Not sure the accuracy of that information.

Custodial should be mandatory if a driver leaves the scene but in Ireland who knows what the judiciary will sentence on any given day. A mother is unlikely to be given custodial sentence in Ireland for something like this due to a lack of female prison accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

His foot found lodged in the car... sweet Jesus. Her kids would be better off with her locked up

• Advertisement

Lord knows how far he was dragged before it gave way, wonder what distance there was between the bike and where he was found

I didn't see that in the article, anyway, hope the poor man recovers well, terrible thing to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's awful. I didnt know that. The poor man. Goes for a short cycle and will never return to the life he had/knew before that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You forget when you shout at someone for nearly hitting you that they didn't just nearly hit you, they nearly changed your life in a way you cannot imagine unless you have been through it, or ended it permanently. This needs to be the full wallop for the drink driving and a custodial sentence for leaving the scene. Every driver who skims you to get to get to a red light or the back of a queue, whether they realise it or not, this is the value they put on your quality of like, between 0 and 30 seconds, typically closer to 0 seconds in towns/cities. Thats how much you are worth because typically, thats what they save. Alas precedent has been set to let people off the hook so she won't face much punishment I fear, we have had vehicular manslaughter charges where the defendents punishment was they had to leave the country, thats it.

and as a mother of young children its ok to get behind the wheel of a car under the influence of drink?

yes, that's the exact conclusion i wanted people to draw from that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Absolutely disgusting statement.

You need to get your head checked out.

Surprised you haven't blamed him for not being on a cycle lane.

looks like it's going to be a morning of people putting words in my mouth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Feel free to clarify your words I guess. Seems you've ignored the father in your statement entirely.

• Advertisement

i'm not sure i want to be drawn into a debate where (some!) people have shown a willingness to wilfully misinterpret what i said.

but to clarify; i did not state she does not deserve punishment. i did not state it's OK for her to have done what she did. i did not state the cyclist was to blame in any way, shape or form. HTH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement