Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think Seamus’ name is written all over this. He looks very laid back and probably hasn’t been at his best over the two days, I just think the course suits him so much that he’s been solid without needing to be spectacular. I expect him to put on a bit of show over the weekend and shoot a low number today, he seems to be absolutely buzzing with the whole thing. Ultimately, he’s surrounded by players that are ranked pretty low in the OWGR and with the crowds that he’ll have on his side I think it’s going to be very difficult for other players in that atmosphere where they’re all only shouting for one player.

what a story it would be if he does do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Really couldn’t get over how well built Seamus Power is - Only noticed it in person

Tall, Stocky etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle - sure didn't see that coming.

Shows what pressure and the weight of expectation can do to freeze the brain . Ah well , nothing for it only to sleep it off and roll in with a pointless 66 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There was a medical emergency in the crowd whilst Seamus was playing 1 today. They waited until it had been dealt with before playing on, and apparently a rules official told them they were on the clock because they’d delayed. Seamus said in his post-round interview that his rhythm had been thrown off by that.

Seems very unfair to be put on the clock due to something that happened in the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

fair enough but didn't seem to have had any adverse effect on Jack Senior though...scored 10 shots better than SP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Followed him today for 5 holes, was fairly disappointing to be honest, just never got going, huge crowd following so lot of pressure I'd say.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Seamus is in quite a marquee group with Cam Smith and Brooks Koepka for the first two rounds of The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

First target is to make the cut. If he does that he will have made the cut in each of his first four majors, which in itself would be no mean achievement. If he gets to the weekend anything is possible. Think he has a decent outside chance, will be under the radar a bit, unlike the Irish open. Top 15 would be a great outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

He is taking a long time off - hasn't played since the Open. Thought he'd play once or twice before the FedEx to build some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Not a great round yesterday but a good start today, need a couple more I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Not sure what's happening with Seamus, between not playing in comps and missing cuts, its the polar opposite to how he started the season. Hope he rediscovers his form soon, not sure if his confidence has taken a hit over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The pressure is off Seamus now to retain his card for the PGA tour and his world ranking is fairly well intact also. Sometimes when you don't have as much to play for, your game can go off the boil a bit. He fought like a dag for his tour card and then to get comfortably into the top 50 in the world. He rightly earned a break, but its tough to get back into it when you dont actually "need" to get back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He had no worries about his card. He won the Barbasol last year.

He has no coach so when his game goes off he has to find a way to fix it himself. That can take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I wonder if he would be tempted by the LIV tour? For a late bloomer like himself, he may just be going through his 18 month peak (as Padraig said). He's not particularly well known in the US or Ireland and I think he would avoid much of the flack that higher profile players get.

His prolonged break after the open just makes me think he might quietly be joining LIV after the playoffs.

God I hope not, I'd lose all respect for him then. He really benefitted from the pathway the PGA provides, and the money that can be made by a "journeyman". To go on join a tour that essentially torches all of that would be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Given his situation up until a few years ago, the lure of setting himself up for life would be very big imo. He's made serious money of late obviously but LIV is a different ball game and I'm sure he would have to give it some thought from a financial point of view.

However I reckon the chance to play in the Ryder Cup, the fact that he's just recently got a taste for Majors and has done very well in them, would be huge factors to staying on the PGA. And the more golfers that go to LIV, the better the chances of him making more money on the PGA as well. That could be a factor coming more and more into play.

It's would be a very big decision for him imo. I wouldn't like to see him go but I would understand it more than a lot of other golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Not a chance Seamus is defecting. He’s as pro PGA tour as any player out there. He fought his way up to the PGA tour from the lowest possible starting point and the PGA has given him everything he has at the moment. The man is too honourable to switch to LIV and by all accounts the money isn’t that important to him.

Regarding his current form, he’s possibly just wrecked tired. His main goal at the start of the season was to reach the tour championship. I think the last 12 months is possibly catching up on him now and moreso the last 3 months. He played and travelled a lot in a short enough space of time. Someone mentioned his coach, or lack of a coach, and it’s not an issue. Simon is a +6 golfer and is as good as any coach as he knows Seamus’ game literally inside out. Seamus has spoken many times about how different coaches over the years just didn’t suit him and it’s only since he’s gone and done his own thing that his form has improved dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

LIV wouldnt want Seamus. End of discussion

Considering their goal is to have the 48 best players play, and he's ranked 39, I'm sure they would want him. They currently only have 5 players ranked higher than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

They want the 48 most high profile players, not the best. They'd happily take him I'm sure, but I doubt they'd pursue him.

From his point of view it would be a lot more understandable to see him go than the likes of poulter or mcdowall. I can't imagine he has millions in the bank like a lot of those others. Going into this tour would set him up for life. Whereas staying on the pga tour, if he has a dip in firm could actually eat into what he has earned.

But I would lose a lot of respect for him if he goes. Some things are more important than financial security for your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Because he simply doesnt fit the profile of the players that they have pursued

Most golf fans in America or outside Ireland barely knows who he is. They would rather have Bernard Langer to just pick the most random....literally hundreds of players ahead of him from LIV point of view

They would even want a college kid with massive potential ahead of him

That's for the initial players but ultimately they'll want as many in the top 50 in the world as they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Your first paragraph is based on what exactly? Do you know him personally? Genuine question btw.

Now you are completely working on YOUR opinion

I based mine on facts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Are you trying to tell us that LIV haven't approached all players inside the worlds top 50 with a least 1 offer?? Look at some of the no named dross they have signed up in that last few months??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm sorry , you know who they've pursued and who they haven't?

Can you share the insider info or is this pure opinion?

Hes Irish so would take an entire countries following with him, he's irish so would take Irish American followers with him. He's inside the top 50 golfers in the world so would take status and talent with him.

But emm yeah that doesn't fit the profile some randomer on the web has arbitrarily assigned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

LIV's goal is to try get in the spotlight. They are snapping up the most well known golfers in the world rather than the best. They'd likely pay 5 times more to current world number 173 than to what Seamus would be offered. In saying that, I'm sure they would like to have another in the top 50 in their ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah lads, don't get carried away with yourself regarding seamus pull. If there's in any way a decent field he won't get much attention, unless he really gets himself into contention. Even in Ireland, we've been so blessed with top golfers he doesn't cross over the sport a whole lot. When we've had paddy, Rory, Gmac, Clarke and Shane all win majors and mcginley captain the ryder cup team, a barbasol win isn't going to capture the general public imagination. And even in the golf world he needs to stay at the level he's at and win a decent standard tournament at least to become a bit of a draw.

Right now I'd say he's one of the least recognisable names in the top 100.

Advertisement