Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

Wow, that dropped fast...only 1 left as of now. Pretty sure there was 20 odd of them earlier. Someone may have bought multiples in order to scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

With the FPGA boards shipping soon (I hope), I took the plunge and ordered up a case/RAM/IO/USB hub addon. I think it works out as much as the man board itself - not a cheap business!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Where are you guys ordering the extra bits from? Need to get some RAM myself!

I'm waiting for a Mister Multisystem from rmcstore, it consolises the whole thing and comes equipped with usb, ram, scart etc. The ram is removable if needed.

Recently ordered from MiSTerFPGA.co.uk (UK, lets see if import charges hit yet) & UltimateMiSTer.com (Portugal)

I did buy from MiSTeraddons.com (US) for my current MiSTer last year, but they don't have a whole lot of stock.

I did have a brief notion of buying the RAM PCB + RAM ICs from AliExpress but I just couldn't be arsed waiting and the cost isn't a whole lot more buying built/tested. I'd really want to build many many RAM boards and sell them to make any sense/saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

The slomo 960 FPS feature on the galaxy s21 ultra phone lets you compare input lag on the CRT. It's pretty cool that you can count the frames by watching the CRT electron gun scanning the tv glass in slow motion. It got me thinking about comparing the mister input lag to a real PCB as it's a big selling point that I haven't seen confirmed anywhere.

Since I have all the equipment I thought why not test it out myself and measure the actual input lag from the time you press the button on the controller to the number of frames it takes the character sprite to react on screen.

I hooked up an led light to the supergun and taped the led to the CRT glass. Then I record the screen for 5 seconds in slow motion and press a button on the controller.

You can just count to the number of frames it takes for the sprite to react once the led light changes after the button press.

I've tested so far

1 real PCB to supergun

2 mister to jpac to supergun

3 PC with stock mame to jpac to supergun

4 pc with stock groovymame to jpac to supergun

5 pc with groovymame configured with "frame delay=7" to jpac to supergun

6 pi3 running retropi to pi2jamma to supergun

PCB, Mister and "groovymame with frame delay 7" were the same.

stock groovymame and mame the same as each other. Usually 2 frames added depending on the game

pi3 was 5 frames extra. I might look into this more as it's an older set-up from a vertipie image (seems to be running mame2003??) and a bit unfair to the pi. I'll update the retropi set up and try with the "run ahead" feature.

So far I tested CPS1, CPS2, Jackal by Konami and have partially tested NeoGeo but I just can't find my MVS anywhere to test the real PCB.

I have a good few more PCB's to test out. I see pang is in Mister now so will test that one next.

I might also try a few consoles as I bought several of Lastbandit's console to jamma interfaces and could hook them up to the super gun to test the consoles. But what are the best emulators to test against for the PC test? Higan for SNES. Megadrive? NES?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cool idea, didn't realise cameras on phones had gotten so advanced !!

No idea on what the best emulators to try out are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

ordered this morning from Terasic website, have fedex tracking for 1/07/2022 already, no hiding from the import charges with them though:(

Just trying to figure out whats the best value JAMMA board available at the moment, anyone know?

I see the mister JAMMA is €199 on AliExpress

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you're paying the fees as CoD, then make sure to have enough to cover it fairly exactly. The Fedex guy who delivered mine wasn't carrying any cash to provide change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Either way you will also get stung on import tax on the Irken labs one or the Mistercade.

I have the Irken labs Jamma Expander, works well, lacking USB ports though, it only has one.

So to update it i just SSH to it and run the script.

Would have preferred the MisSTercade as it wasn't shipping at the time. Seems to have better support but I've had no issues with the Irken labs one.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

DE10 delivery pushed back yet again, 29th of July now. 4 more weeks to go...

Bought my Mistercade back in February, had it arrive in April... this is turning into quite the wait!

I still have July 29th on my Mouser order from when I ordered it back in April - fingers crossed that doesn't change. I now have all the other components awaiting this now

Mine is still June as of now too, but I'm in zero rush for it as I've no way to use it currently! Waiting patiently on RMC store to restock the Mister Multisystem mainboard, then I'll be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What's the story with the SCART socket placement on the Multisystem mainboard? Is that the only option for analogue out?

Nevermind, I see a DSub-15 on the back

Well fedex stung me for €80.96

Anyone using one of these?

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/jamma-adapter/

I know its not as aesthetically pleasing as the mistercade but its cheap and....not in stock

SSH is my preferred method of connection anyway so that's not an issue for me :)

not in stock either :(

Mistercade, then IrkenLabs adapters would be my order of preference. There's also Jammix, which fits in a small ATX case but has a JAMMA edge too, but it's totally out of stock.

If you use Mistercade's config file, you can run update_all from your cabinet and see the output anyway without having to bother with ssh if you're so inclined.

i also got stung for the €80.

Maybe a JPAC?

Would do the job, but you'd need analogue IO and to sort sound amplification so a bit more of a mess.

I've got a JPAC I don't need and a few small amps I never used if anyone's interested.

I'm using a spare jpac with an amp on the mister and it works great. What's the benefit of the Mistercade and IrkenLabs over the jpac?

A few things that may or may not be of use to you, and I'm using a Mistercade, so I'll focus on that.

1) It's all integrated together and sources power from the 12V rail on your arcade PSU and give you a JAMMA edge. Plug and play.

2) Mistercade has a Github repo full of curated controller configs that "just work" better than my experiences with a JPAC

The IrkenLabs device looks a bit more straight forward but the biggest advantages are they're more plug and play.

This is the whole thing:

• Advertisement

Yea it looks much neater. I never understood why Andy the jpac developer never integrated the amp to the jpac and tapped the 12v from the jamma. All my jpacs I solder the amp 12v feed to the 12v pin on the jpac jamma pin anyway. Very odd design choice.

The folks mentioning €80 customs/duty from Fedex, was that on top of the order direct from Terasic for the DE10 Nano?

Yes on top of whatever price you pay, customs want a piece of the pie.

Yep, so direct from terasic

$215usd for de10 nano

$66usd for 3 days shipping (only option)

€80.96 fedex (duties, taxes and fees)

so an expensive day out, I’m not sure how much you’d save holding out for mouser, I didn’t think it was worth waiting because I wanted it now, despite having no way to use it

There was a €30 (ex VAT) jump in price between my first DE-10 Nano in Jan 2020 vs Sept 2021 for my second. Glad I jumped at getting an extra one when I did.

Mouser ships the de10 for free, and covers all import duty/customs themselves. Currently listed as 225 ex vat, so even with vat it should work out cheaper...availability notwithstanding.

So probably €60-70 cheaper but need to wait out for supply.

I think I'll bite the bullet and get the mistercade when it becomes available, I'll try hunt down a jpac now to get me started

Master of the Universe

Would it be possible to connect a USB wifi dongle to a DE10 Nano board and update the software on it and such without actually removing it/it's SD card from the arcade machine?

Removing the SD card is a fairly simple process and all, but being able to basically 'update an arcade machine' over wifi sounds incredibly handy.

So I'm pretty sure you can do that and connect via ssh with the devices IP address with PUTTY and update

something along the lines of this

https://www.retrorgb.com/remotely-update-mister-via-ssh.html

• Advertisement

Yup, you can updates files over SSH/SCP - a windows/mac easy way Cyberduck.io

That would really only to pop over new games for console/computer cores (or non-public cores), arcade supported systems have their packs auto updated when you run the 'update_all' script and the Mister is connected to your wifi.

Just ensure you have a compatible USB wifi dongle or ethernet wire the DE10

Advertisement