Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

With data roaming in the EU the apn changes might be to do with the sim setup.

Look for sim toolkit (sim settings etc) when you open sim toolkit you should see a menu, when travelling in UK/EU in menu select when abroad, you might then see belgacom or proximus which is a Belgian telco network operator, they contracted to handle roaming for 48 because 48 has no network of its own to do roaming deals.

This change of settings in sim tool kit might help, & change the settings back to when at when you are back in the Republic of Ireland (26 counties).

This should help if apn keeps changing and blocking data/calls/texts

BTW which network or networks are available in northern Ireland?

Has anyone done a network check up north of the border.

Gomo uses EE, not sure about any other of the UK that gomo might work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just worth mentioning. I have been with 48 now for a year, on the 7.99 a month offer. It is excellent, absolutely brilliant in Ireland. However I have been doing a lot of travelling this year and every country I have been in (UK, Portugal, Dubai) I have been unable to get my roaming working... This is even having spent a considerable amount of time messing around with APNs and all the rest as recommended online. Look for 7.99 I can't really complain, but just something to bear in mind. My GF is with 48 as well but she has an iphone, and when we have been away she has managed to get roaming working (albeit with considerable fiddling around) so maybe this is an android specific issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

3 phones on 48 here all no incoming or outgoing calls for the last hour or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

3 done a technical upgrade last night, may be related. Restart the phone and try again.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Back to normal again all phones working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

48 connects to EE in N.I. which is owned by British telecom.On the dowtime issue today.I lost i/c and o/g calls today from 4.20pm until 5.50pm approx.Data and SMS were unaffected

Is anyone on virgin mobile? Was there any issues? Or any people on tesco or lyca mobile etc, any network issues? Asking because I think tesco, 48, & lyca mobile were all o2 irl before 3 bought them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

There are 3 main mobile operators in this country - ROI.All the others are MVNOs

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

I've been a Spain a few times over the last few months and I had no issues with roaming at all. Just had to restart the phone and everything worked as expected.

However I went to Italy last week (also with a new phone) and I couldn't get my phone to register at all on any Italian network. Every few minutes I would get a popup saying refreshing SIM data etc. Luckily I had in the second SIM tray a Vodafone SIM so I just enabled that to give me data. I left the 48 on to see it it would eventually register. It didn't all it did was drain my battery. My friend who is on 3 bill pay had a similar issue registering on the network but after a few attempts they were able to manually select a network.

Next day I read the trouble shooting guide and I couldn't see anything I was doing differently. I did then read that in some countries they have turned off the 3G network so I decided to try limiting the network mode only to 2G as at least that wouldn't be oversubscribed and once I did that I was able to finally register on the network. I then changed the network mode to 2G/3G and the data started working too. After finally getting this working I turned off my second SIM and for the rest of the week I worked off the 48 one without any issues.

So TL;DR try limiting network mode only to 2G then after successfully registering switch to 3G.

Also think if you have a dual SIM phone just pay the 5e for the Vodafone 5GB for 28 days when abroad and use that instead.

On a unrelated note when on a bus travelling on the M1 and I noticed at some parts my phone had connected to a 5G network. Ran a speed test and got back 300Mpbs. See other people have noticed it too and given more technical detail over on this thread https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Any prospect 48 will go 5G in the future. I'm getting a 5g phone which will work on 3's 5G network as it has the required bands.

I know 3 now have a payg 5g plan for €25 a month. I'm be happier with my 2 X 48 sims plan but the problem is data has been slowing down to annoying levels at peak times lately. I'm quite close to the mast so I know 5G would be better for data but I'd still rather have 2 sims than one.

I did read elsewhere I might get a better data connection anyway with a 5G phone,on a 4g service. Is there any truth to this, sounds a bit technically off.

I suppose I could get a one off month with 3's 5G's plan to see if it's worth it. I'm close to the mast so should be faster anyway whatever about peak times.

I know it's hidden at the end of long post about roaming but if you read the bottom of my post just above your one I've stated I've been able to connect to 5G masts using 48. I found more technical information given here https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html on it. However I doubt they will offer 5G to everyone and it's only in cases were the only available mast just so happens to be a 5G one that you can avail of the 5G network. I remember when 48 launched you could only get 3G and 4G was only for people on O2 network.

As for you speed it sounds like your node/mast is oversubscribed at peak times maybe try and connect via 3G (instead of 4G) as I would suspect that network isn't as heavily subscribed to and you might get better speeds.

Check out https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see if any of the masts near you are 5G (NR) as you have to be pretty close to the mast to avail 5G as the signal doesn't travel as far compared to 4G etc.

I know it's hidden at the end of long post about roaming but if you read the bottom of my post just above your one I've stated I've been able to connect to 5G masts using 48. I found more technical information given here https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html on it. However I doubt they will offer 5G to everyone and it's only in cases were the only available mast just so happens to be a 5G one that you can avail of the 5G network. I remember when 48 launched you could only get 3G and 4G was only for people on O2 network.

Yeah I sorta more meant if there was any chance they might offer it as a membership option in the future, like 3 are doing now, at an increased charge. I suppose noone could know that here. Time will tell.

As for you speed it sounds like your node/mast is oversubscribed at peak times maybe try and connect via 3G (instead of 4G) as I would suspect that network isn't as heavily subscribed to and you might get better speeds.

Yeah probably is. Never thought of using 3G to get faster speeds! Seems counter intuitive but I see what you mean.

Check out https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see if any of the masts near you are 5G (NR) as you have to be pretty close to the mast to avail 5G as the signal doesn't travel as far compared to 4G etc.

Yeah checked that already. I'm like 100 meters from an NR.

I'll see what I get next week on 48 when I my new phone arrives. If no improvement I'll trial 3 for a month. I'll report back on whether or not I get a better data service with a 5g phone. I'd never get anything like 300mbps or even 100, more like 12 lol.

edit: just read that confusedbird link your provided, looks promising as as i said I'm very close to the mast.

Post edited by AllForIt on

@not1but4

I took my new 5G phone and my 4G+ capable phone near to the tower today. I got 150Mbps on the 5g phone and 12Mbps on the 4G+ phone.

The curious think is (I used Network Info Lite app) which shows the frequency bands were being currently used, and both showed the same band (band 3)

So I don't know why I got 10 times the speed on the 5G phone when it's using the same band as the 4G phone.

edit: I'm hardly 1KM from the tower and in a black spot, anyone know anything about mobile signal boosters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Has the service been absolutely brutal for anyone else lately?

I constantly get disconnections, data being down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

i'll leave a link to the other "48" thread here, in case someone else needs help with roaming.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119085143/#Comment_119085143

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks came here just for exactly that. Heading to Paris next week for the Champions League final so could really do without any of the hassle I had with 48 roaming the last time I was abroad

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You might still need to call them, but at least you can try that ^^^ first, it might just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The unlimited membership with the 200GB fup does that show up as 200GB or unlimited in the app

Do you have to keep track of yourself or what's the crack . Currently on the 100 GB but might change up

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ooter

I have a 48 sim that I haven't used in a while but was thinking of using it again but at the moment I can't receive calls or texts. 48 network appears on my phone and when I log in to my 48 it appears as if the sim is still active, does anyone if I'll be able to make and receive calls again if I top up?

tried to get an answer on their chat but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I travelled this week (to the UK) and was fearful I would have the same issues I had last summer (no voice/data for 8 days!!) but this time I followed the instructions here and before I got to baggage reclaim I managed to get service. The relief!!!

Also on the way back it worked much quicker than usual. I have an iPhone 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's called "All Data" but the terms say the limit is 200GB. You could get another SIM for the 200GB plan and keep your current SIM on the 100GB plan until you're sure you want to change plans....you can't go back to the 100GB plan if you change plans on your current SIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

So if u buy the 12-99 add-on when renewing your stuck with it ?

That doesn't seem right can you not just choose the 100gb next month?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm on the 7.99 plan. Browsing YouTube in the boonies of clonlara, county Limerick, and I guess they got a new mast.

5G where before on the same handset I was lucky to get 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Has 48 sorted out the EU roaming problems as in switching over to a local network without restarting the phone and keeping everything crossed that it will work?

My young adult kids have used 48 for a long time and travelling a few times in the past year they have given up and relied on wifi. and friends. Not good if travelling alone and have to make a call on arrival at the airport. They have all switched to virgin €5 for 5 months offer as it finds the local provider in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How can I tell if any given mast is 5G or not? What am I looking for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My parents went to Turkey last week.

Both on 48.

My mams phone auto connected to the local network but my dad had to go into the sim application settings and charge the network selection to auto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think you would see NR as one of the services.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Anybody have any service right now? None at all for me....

The 48 roaming problems continue on for me anyway. Was in Belgium, France and the UK over the last 10 days and the only place it worked was France. I followed all the APN settings they list on their website and on this thread and it still wouldnt work. Ive no ideas how it worked in France but not Belgium and the UK (and Portugal before that).

Anyway needless to say I cant trust it to work and in the UK after almost an hour trying the various settings in the airport upon arrival I went and bought a Lyca mobile sim for £25 to cover my trip there. Since arriving home Ive complained to 48 and asked for that £25 cost to be refunded and supplied them with a photograph of the receipt of the £25 sim. They are currently offering me 3 x 7.99 free memberships but Im pushing for four of them so Im not left a penny out of pocket, otherwise its off to Comreg and they will deal with it. Its just ridiculous now at this stage, they've known about this problem for well over a year and it still hasnt been fixed.

If you are not receiving calls or texts you are probably outside the 90 day period for renewing your membership since your last membership expired.I think your best option is to contact 48 webchat again and ask if your number is still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you enter your number into the gift shop web page, it will show what memberships are available to buy. If the number is recognized then it will probably work once membership is bought.

https://48.ie/gift-shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

1. Fair Usage Policy (FUP)

Our fair usage policy will be changing from 10,000 minutes and 10,000 text messages per membership to 5,000 minutes and 5,000 text messages per membership. After the expiry of your current membership, your membership fair usage policy (FUP) will change to 5,000 minutes and 5,000 text messages. All other allowances and limits are unchanged

Strange one?

Strange one to implement.

Maybe pushing the few to cancel and move and reduce the numbers on the lowest cheaper €7.99 plan?

yeah possibly but its hard to think of many people who would use more than 5,000 texts a month, like that is 166 texts a day when most people are using Whatapp anyway. With calls its almost 3 hours per day on the phone, some people could do that some days but Id doubt theres many doing it every day throughout the month

I’d be similar. Between WhatsApp and iMessage I wouldn’t come close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭dermo2014

3. Misuse of 48 Services

Our provisions relating to suspension and termination of 48 services will be updated, where 48 has the sole discretion to terminate or suspend accounts without notice to you if it has been reasonably suspected by 48 that you have violated 48’s terms and conditions. For example, 48 reserves the right to disconnect any SIM cards, if more than 20 SIM cards have been ordered on your account within a six-month period with the same delivery address. We also have the right to suspend or terminate the use of 48 services if we suspect you are using your 48 SIM in a gateway or similar devices.

• Advertisement

uh-oh, sounds like a clamp down on using the sims in routers might be on the way. I wonder how they can "suspect"a sim is being used in one? Would a complete lack of voice calls & text messages trigger it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

Oh was this only targeted at the €7.99 plan? I typically use whatsapp for calls and text so it doesn't effect me, I hope they don't reduce the data allowance next.

a reduction in usage allowance could be on the way as they cannot increase the sub anymore in the current market.

I'll be interested to see if 48 now start to offer 4G while roaming after the EU regulation came into effect today.

There is a thread already on this over on 48.ie https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/4g-roaming-new-EU-regulation-1-July-2022/m-p/57977

I would imagine it will depend on when proximus.be implement it seeing that they look after roaming for 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

If anyone has a €7.99 sim that they're not using, I'd buy it from you please for a friend.

Thanks.

If it's still active,that is.Well past the 90 day expiry limit for a topup.I'm in the market for a e7.99 sim too,if available.

Wasnt the 7.99 deal sold by them as "for life"? At least thats the way I remember it so they can't increase the price beyond that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Does data roaming not work in Germany ?

Post edited by cullenswood on

price unaffected

• Advertisement
Advertisement