Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Deadly, can't wait. Going in November and was looking at which parkrun to pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Be careful if you decide to buy into the "support your Parkrun, buy the merch" message that comes up every now and again. Decided to get a barcode wristband and as you do, oh the travel mug looks nice, so does the water bottle. Just short of €80 worth of stuff. Dispatched from the UK. The UK. Just get a lovely text and email from An Post to say they are adding an extra 10% to that for Customs charges. Not Parkruns fault, I know but it will make me wary of getting other merch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

Yes I've had that experience too. First time I've ever had to pay 'UK' customs charges.

There should be an EU supplier of Parkrun merchandise now. The UK is too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Many UK retailers sort it so that duty is paid at source rather than on delivery. Prodirect do it for the milestone tshirts. The same could easily be done for the parkrun merchandise but it just seems that parkrun have little interest in doing it for Irish parkrunners. parkrun Ireland has enough events and active parkrunners to be self governing but it still seems that parkrun view Irish parkruns as a subset of the UK rather than their own entity. Sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Will be in Clare in a couple of weeks and eyeing up some Parkrun tourism.

Looking at Lees Road or Vandeleur, they both seem about 30 mins drive away. Has anybody got a hint as to which might be nicer (flatter etc.)? Also, I would potentially have a single or double Buggy with me, so interested in running surface...? Doesn't have to be pure tarmac, but would certainly influence my choice of single or double!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yes friends of mine whom I got into parkrun ordered wristbands after seeing mine (mine is years old). They got stung with customs on it and I felt bad cos I'd recommended they get them - and they aren't cheap. I'm tempted to get the apricot singlet and I find that my apricot tshirt (it's an old one) a bit heavy for this time of year - and the possible additional costs are putting me off.

If you're up north Clare, Coole Park is a nice flat-ish course with a very friendly crew and a nice tea room on site. (Technically its south Galway outside of Gort but its just over 30 minutes away from Ennis on the motorway.

Thanks, we're down near Spanish point, so about 45 mins from Coole Park, so might be a little far unless Lees and Vandeleur are totally unsuitable! :-)

Yeah, just saw your location on maps. You'd be doing well to get up to Gort in 45 minutes. Maybe you can find a Facebook page with some photos of the courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lee's Road is my favourite one in Clare. Nice wooded area that you run through

Edit - not flat though but not much is flat in Clare 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Lees Rd wouldn't be suitable for a buggy, I don't think, if racing it anyway. It's on a mixture of grass, gravel/trail, and a bit of sand. There's a section through the woods that goes up and down some twisty steep bits too.

Yeah, I've a specific running buggy, which is pretty rugged (and has 16 inch wheels) so can take a certain amount of uneven ground..Gravel/Fire Roads/Smooth Grass would all be fine (if not for all out racing), but potholes, narrow twisty bits etc would be a ballache.

But if it's mostly like the below, it would be grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be a bit rougher than that in general. Is Mungret an option? Not flat but good surface as is Clarisford.

I haven't done Shannon so can't comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Got stung there getting a volunteer pin as a gift for a regular. Duty nearly as much as the pin!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

There must be a better way of doing things, we need an Irish or at least 'European' merchandise supplier. It's now extremely expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lees Road is grand with a buggy, once its a proper running buggy. Bit lumpy, but have done far hillier, muddier and more crowded runs with the buggy. Clarisford was also great, although narrow in parts, the numbers meant that wasn't a problem.

Edit : I've not done the Shannon parkrun, not going to attempt to spell it, but I have run along the route a good few times and pushed the buggy around the trails there a bit. Unless the route takes some funny twists it should be grand around there from what I remember for pushing.

Post edited by robinph on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

Where would people recommend as the best park run location in the ROI for a quick time?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Very biased opinion but I'm going with Marlay, the standard is one of the highest around, it's one big loop and if you manage the opening hill well, it has an electric fast last km.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Marlay is my local and I really enjoy it but it's definitely not one for a quick time. The bottle neck at the start, then the hill and then a couple of sharp U turns will cost you time.

• Advertisement

Fair point regarding the concert field turns. I've run Shanganagh and Poppintree, which would both be flat but Marlay still has my two quickest times. I've heard good things about Malahide and it's on my to do.

Yeah, for me shanganagh is miles quicker than marlay. Wide tar paths, pancake flat and reasonably sheltered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Darndale and Naas both very flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Of the limited number in the south of the country I've been to, I'd say Killarney is about the fastest.

Midlands/West I would vote for Portumna Forest Park. Is there any official Park Run record?

Yeah we were saying that we'd like to order some of the apricot clothing - maybe a singlet or 1/4 zip. But it costs too much with all the extra charges. I know a friend was strung for extras costs for a barcode band. I manage by local parkrun's social media and I no longer share the details about the parkrun merch because I don't want to be that extra cost on participants. Before Brexit many of the regulars at my local parkrun got parkrun barcode bands and they were very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The Irish parkrun records are at the bottom of https://www.parkrun.ie 16.41 for Meghan Ryan and 14.19 for Sean Tobin.

Unfortunately they don't say at which parkruns they were run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Malahide's is familiar and 14:19, Sean Tobin, from 16/11/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cicks

There are no additional costs on the apricot range or anything from Pro Direct, I think they can ship from EU. The additional costs seem to be on anything ordered from the parkrun website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well if you’d only asked Id have recommended Amagerfeld also. 😁Lovely course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

University area is nearby to Ormeau Park (within a warmup jog) and plenty of options on booking.com for a one night stay.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

There is at least one regular buggy runner at Leesroad, hard work im sure, but they usually have a smile on their face.

I haven't done it with a buggy myself, as my youngest hasn't taken to the running buggy as well as the older lad did, but it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Darndale is off this sat. 18th. - made in Darndale festival is on.

Donabate is off 2nd July. - flavours of Fingal.

Post edited by reservoirdubdub on

No parkrun or junior parkrun in Marlay for the next 3 weekends due to concerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just leaving this here....

To give people more context, the ex CEO Nick Pearson was getting a commission from Contra

We discovered that our previous Chief Executive Officer Nick Pearson had an undisclosed and unapproved agreement by which he was receiving a commission from a third party supplier in regard to the creation of the clothing brand CONTRA in 2018. At no point was this conflict of interest disclosed to the Trustees or anyone else involved in parkrun.

Full statement here.

I think Parkrun needs to be more open about how much they get from merch partners and how much gets filtered down to the run events themselves, especially in Ireland. It's bad enough we have to pay a Boris bonus to get our armbands, if I hear most of my money goes towards the nearest run to Downing Street I'd be very unimpressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

You should be fine in Lees Road if you have a decent running buggy. Biggest issue is the sand on about 50m of the course other then that surface is good for buggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

While the optics are not good as an ED I think that the ethos of parkrun is driven by core teams and participants and this will pass

• Advertisement

I never really got the point of the CONTRA brand. I understand that a portion of the sales went back into parkrun but is that not also the case with any of the offical parkrun merch - the wristbands, bottles, apricot tops, other official parkrun stuff. I would have rather bought something with parkrun on it to support and promote it, rather than a relatively unknown brand with no visible link to parkrun.

The independent investigations have not identified any other areas of concern. Nick Pearson has repaid the funds in full to parkrun. He has also committed to covering the costs of the investigation.

I found it interesting on the press release from parkrun HQ that it doesn't say anything about Pearson apologising for his misendeavour. You'd have thought after being CEO for 7 years that he would at least offer an apology for the press release.

I'd say legal teams are involved and that he's been advised to shush in by his representatives.

I agree with you. I find that of my experience of parkruns in Ireland, most people aren't interested in the politics or intricacies behind the scenes of parkrun - to most it's a free 5km event every week, local, community, fitness etc. A lot of people won't know who Pearson is or what the press release was about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

He posted an apology on his Twitter account, but his account is protected so only followers can see it, I think.

I never saw the point of Contra either, though I didn't see this coming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Part of the motivation for Contra was also about having running gear for people who don't look like runners.

It seemed like a massive waste of the brand of parkrun to not have just stuck that name on the clothing instead... But that would impact their charity status so needed the seperate entity.

I'm sure Pearson was brought in specifically for his experience with Sweatshop and so being able to deal with suppliers and manufacturers for them. Not sure he did anything majorly different from normal in the running of a commercial entity, it's just he didn't know that as a charity he couldn't do that stuff. Doesn't sound like the sums involved are anything massive or that it was even cash, could have been a corporate golf trip day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"We discovered that our previous Chief Executive Officer Nick Pearson had an undisclosed and unapproved agreement by which he was receiving a commission from a third party supplier in regard to the creation of the clothing brand CONTRA in 2018. At no point was this conflict of interest disclosed to the Trustees or anyone else involved in parkrun."

https://www.parkrun.com/blog/news/2022/06/23/trust-tested-at-parkrun/

"Receiving commission from a third party supplier" ain't no "Corporate Golf trip day"

I had the fun of spending the night in Heathrow last Fri after a delayed flight meant I missed a connection. As there was lots of time to kill 'til Sat afternoon I tracked down the closest parkrun to the airport and headed there to walk around as I had no running gear available. In case anyone is stuck in the same situation, Bedfont Lakes is the event name & you just take the tube one stop to Hatton Cross & then walk (~3k) or take a bus from there.

Post edited by opus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Is it back this weekend? They seem to have a volunteer roster for 16 July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Must be. parkrun tend to keep launches of new parkruns pretty low key to avoid swamping new volunteer teams. Presumably they would take the same approach with a re-launch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement