Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yep, I think the Samhain thingy is on there this weekend, although I don't remember it being cancelled for that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No sign of any activity around Mountbellew this morning. Dreary weather for it anyway. Launching a new Park Run around this time of year is a bit of a gamble anyway. Hope the new Dublin one went better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

According to Mountbellew's page, they are starting next Saturday too.

I'd say that's who Duzzie meant but thanks. Lets hope it's a drier weekend next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Does anyone know of any parkruns taking place for the special days this year? They'll both end up on Sundays, after parkrun days. There probably won't be many if any.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Malahide normally do Xmas day. I don't see why Xmas being on a Sunday would make a difference?

On new years we usually get double parkrun days (St Anne's and Fr Collins for me). Again I can see no reason that this won't happen again (although I have not heard anything about either to date).

The New Year's Day doubles are no longer allowed.

The reason I would think there may not be as many on would be because core teams would be organising events two days in a row.

We will have

Xmas Eve

Xmas Day

New Year's Eve

New Year's Day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That's a pity if doubles aren't allowed as that was one of the highlights of the parkrun year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Agreed.

Was a shame that they got rid of them worldwide, when there was really only a problem in a small number of locations in the UK... And mostly down to event teams not communicating with each other properly.

There was definitely issues with crowding and people rushing between events, but could all have been solved with events within range of each other scheduling to prevent such issues.

Unfortunately it has got rid of doubles for developing parkrun countries as well, where there was no issues and it was just starting to become a "thing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Was at Vicarstown parkrun yesterday en route to the RDS for DCM expo. What a lovely event, there is a rowing club located at the start/finish line and that can host some pre/post run chats, shelter, tea/coffee and a portaloo. Real community feel there.

Route is a flat (bar one bump for a canal bridge) out and back on a gravelly concrete surface. Well worth a visit if passing through, not far off the Cork/Dublin road.

Could somebody explain to the newbies what you are all talking about regarding the Christmas schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Parkrun used to have a New Year's Day double. Some events would start at the typical time of 9:30am, then other events would start at 11am. This allowed people to do the New Year's Day parkrun double. Not all events participated.

Each event is allowed to have one non standard parkrun day, ie. Not on standard time/day. This was usually filled by the above double. With the double no longer a thing, last year quite a few events in Ireland did a parkrun on Christmas Day. Whilst this might seem against the whole Christmas ethos of spending time with family, parkrun plays an important part in many people's lives from a social/mental/physical perspective.

Due to how Christmas and New Year's Day falls on a Sunday this year, that could result in the scheduled mentioned above of parkruns occurring on Christmas Eve (Saturday), Christmas Day (Sunday - not all events will be open), New Year's Eve (Saturday) and New Year's Day (Sunday - not all events will be open). The event page shows what parkruns are open on those extra days. Events page for Christmas 2022. It's empty right now but will fill up over the coming weeks.

Other countries use their extra day for days of national importance, ie. Independence Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Parkrun permits special (non Saturday) parkruns to be held on special days which vary from country to country. Typically these are national holidays. NY's day and Xmas day are also permitted, though it's always at the discretion of the local team. So some events will be on these days and some will not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Each event is allowed to have one non standard parkrun day, ie. Not on standard time/day. This was usually filled by the above double. With the double no longer a thing, last year quite a few events in Ireland did a parkrun on Christmas Day.

Almost right.

The non standard extra day is on a country wide basis. The UK that day is Christmas Day, and I think it has always been an option for Irish events on Christmas Day as they were created by the NI country manager and they used that day also, just few events took up the option previously.

Every country can also do extra events on New Year's Day, but that cannot be switched to another date.

Start times for both the extra day (Christmas Day for Ireland) and NYD can be different to normal, but would expect them to try and make events in close proximity have the same start times.

Yeah. I loved the double.

I didn't really agree with the reasoning, ie that people would drive stupidly to get from one event to the other. It's up to people to take responsibility for their own driving. They could have maybe just started the earlier event 30 minutes early, for example have them at 9am and 11am. That would give plenty of time for participants who were doing 2 parkruns in close proximity.

I must say I am very excited to possibly get to do 4 parkruns (hopefully new ones) in just over a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Would it be fair to say that a lot of events might not bother with the days falling together so closely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It could prove difficult to get enough volunteers for the events to go ahead all so close together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Was there myself at the weekend. It is my local and is always a very nice crowd there and a great effort put in by the volunteers. Would definitely recommend anyone passing by to pay it a visit if they get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Yup for sure, in Cork city not all of them will be operating on both days as far as I know.

Yes. There should be a few though. They're adding more and more every day to the Uk compendium. Still none in Ireland. But surely there'll be one or two going ahead in Belfast. Comber is on on NYD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

New Year's Day will be on a Sunday. That will cause a problem for parkruns where there are junior parkruns using part of the same course.

I think that the policy is the junior event takes precedent in those cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I need Christmas Day to go ahead.. in at least a few locations.

Aiming for 50 parkruns in 2022 (gold obsessive award for anyone with Running Achievements app) and running all the Saturdays left in 2022 will get me to 49!

Also, praying there wont be be a big freeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm in the same boat. I've managed to do one per week plus a couple of extra ones abroad. I'll manage the platinum obsessive award if there is one on Christmas Day and there isn't a big freeze. 56 is possible.

Based on prior years, there is one in my county at least on Christmas Day but i'm not sure it'll go down well at home travelling hours on Christmas morning!

Fair play on the (potential) 56 - I mightn't do ten next year!

Yup exactly that, one Cork event had to wait 'til the junior made their intentions known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Going to a gig in Cardiff tomorrow night, if I feel up to it I'll do Cardiff parkrun.

Checked out their page there and it got over 600 last week. 73 of them sub 20. Holy moly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Where is your county? Waterstown is normally on in Dublin. As is Ballincollig in Cork. None in the Republic confirmed yet.

Wallace in the north is on xmas day. I heard Stormont is on but it's not on the compendium.

Antrim and Comber are both on on New Year's Day.

It is a very fast course. Out and back on good tarmac path alongside the river. The start is very narrow though so can be congested if you don't position yourself correctly.

Loads of parking in the big Tesco nearby.

Cheers Robin, I'll be getting a taxi or maybe jogging to it if it looks like a simple enough route.

Won't be racing it though unfortunately, the legs still have a fair bit of DCM in them.

Oranmore Parkrun is called off due to a fallen tree obstructing the course.

Nice turnout in Mountbellew, about 140 barcodes, nice easy forest trail although the cross over on the figure of 8 got a bit congested and I think they might need to shave roughly half a kilometre off the route going by some of the Strava recordings I've seen. Blessed with a nice day for it as well.

• Advertisement

It was a lovely morning. Agree that the finish area is congested with 3 different flows at the same location. Definitely long too, 600m long by my reckoning. Lovely course though and very friendly volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent turnout too in Dodder Valley, helped by the cancellation of Bushy. 341 participants for the inaugural event. Enjoyed it - the course is pretty good, not as hilly as advertised earlier, but a bit exposed in places so the headwind was a factor today in the closing km. Great to see a new parkrun in Tallaght and I hope it's a success - certainly looks like it will be.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Excellent turnout in Cardiff this morning.

I believe.

Copious pints and 1am Indian Street Curry ended all dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Ah a Jalfrezi and a naan out of an actual tandoor, on the street. Can't be beat.

Alarm went off for parkrun but it got punched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Five runs in a 5km radius makes me wonder will they just be cannibalising each other.

Thought myself that they could have done the larger lap first and finish with the shorter but maybe they have a concern with the finish area then being busy/blocked by those towards the back.

As long as each event is viable on its own though, more local parkruns are better than a small number of big ones. All depends on community adoption. SoDuCoCo seem behind this in a big way but unless it’s supported by local runners and volunteers it could struggle - but there would certainly seem to be a big enough local population to make it work, as long as people get involved with volunteering and the core team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Did Narin Beach parkrun when visiting Donegal yesterday. Absolutely stunning. Tide was out so made for better running conditions than normal. My second time there. Conditions were less kind the first time.

14 finishers. A busier than normal winter event. But they get up to 80 in the summer months.

Well worth a trip!

First photo is the start/finish area. Second one taken mid-run.

Nice. Did the inaugural event there on very soft sand and a long course - went on forever at the time! Beautiful setting alright.

Coincidentally was on a beach myself on Sat at Inch, weather was very kind I have to say.

Westport is normally on so I'll be there hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Waterstown is all go for Christmas Day.

In Cork city, Ballincollig are doing both xmas day & NY's day, Tramore Valley are doing NY's day & I think Glen River are doing both days but not confirmed just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Did Zuiderpark parkrun this morning in The Hague. Fantastic parkrun with very friendly volunteers. Well worth the trip if you fancy a bit of foreign parkrun tourism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement