Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The twelfth is upon us again

Options
  • 24-06-2022 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭

The twelfth holidays and associated community celebrations are about to get going. I realise not everyone in Northern Ireland wishes to take part but why can’t those uninterested not just let those who want to participate get along.

the nationalist politicians and the media outlets have began already to demonise the celebrations. We can all pick holes in most community events in NI and point out inappropriate aspects and things we’d prefer weren’t continued but it seems to be only the unionist celebrations that come under that scrutiny.

here is an example just from this week where nationalists are trying to wind up local unionist young people. These young people have spent months preparing their fire, for it to be wiped out in one sectarian action. The local community will now work to focus the young people’s energy into rebuilding rather that being sucked into the nationalist trap of retaliation.

why can’t those who don’t want to participate not just leave us alone, rather than sneaking into areas in the cover of darkness to carry out their actions of hate?

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/11th-night-bonfire-builders-in-portadown-call-for-calm-heads-and-vow-to-rebuild-3742808

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Why? Because these aren’t festive “celebrations”, these are vitriolic racist and bigoted hate spreading mass events which have no place in any society.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A Northern Ireland delivery driver used to deliver 5 days a week to where I worked in Newbridge. We'd a normal friendly working relationship, a bit of a chat about the weather, traffic, what's happening at the weekend etc. This had been going on for about 8 or 9 months. We were getting on grand. Then one day I wore a white tee shirt with a blue and white stripe on the shoulder. He asked me if I was wearing it for the holidays (I didn't even notice that it was near the 12th nor did I notice the tee shirt had the Union Jack colours, like why the fcuk would I?). I replied "It's not a holiday where I come from". He never ever spoke to me after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's Europe's own KKK

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah the Neanderthals and their bonfires. Is that the time??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The twelfth holidays and associated community celebrations are about to get going.

Holidays? Celebrations? What exactly are you celebrating?

Traditionally, the period around the 12th has seen a mass exodus of people from NI who want to get away from the annual crap-fest inflicted on NI. These people are from both sides of the divide. If it is so much of a holiday, why do all NI people of all colours not want to participate?

I realise not everyone in Northern Ireland wishes to take part but why can’t those uninterested not just let those who want to participate get along.

It is a festival rooted in sectarianism and bigotry. Why would anyone who wants to see an inclusive society want to participate in that kind of activity?

the nationalist politicians and the media outlets have began already to demonise the celebrations.

Proper order! Would you celebrate a KKK festival?

We can all pick holes in most community events in NI and point out inappropriate aspects and things we’d prefer weren’t continued but it seems to be only the unionist celebrations that come under that scrutiny.

What non-unionist celebrations are not put under scrutiny? What non-unionist celebrations that dominate NI society involve sectarianism and bigotry?

here is an example just from this week where nationalists are trying to wind up local unionist young people. These young people have spent months preparing their fire, for it to be wiped out in one sectarian action. The local community will now work to focus the young people’s energy into rebuilding rather that being sucked into the nationalist trap of retaliation.

Did you not read the article? From what I can see, SF have condemned the activity - what do you want them to do?

Sinn Féin described the incident as ‘reckless and irresponsible’ and also called for elected representatives and community leaders to help reduce tensions.

why can’t those who don’t want to participate not just leave us alone, rather than sneaking into areas in the cover of darkness to carry out their actions of hate?

What do you mean sneaking into areas? Are you encouraging a policy of people not being allowed to move about freely? Do unionists really want no-go areas where nationalists are not welcome?

Also, what evidence is there that it was nationalists and not just some random people, possibly teenagers, doing it for kicks?

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/11th-night-bonfire-builders-in-portadown-call-for-calm-heads-and-vow-to-rebuild-3742808

What is most surprising about that article is that it is filed under Heritage and Retro.

You're blinded by your bigotry or else you're trolling - which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

According to a few on Twitter there is a long standing tradition of rival bonfire builders burning each others fires in order to have the biggest one.

Why would anyone stop these people as they make their annual display of bigotry and sectarian taunting? 'Never interrupt your enemy...' etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

The celebrations are a kind of military triumphalism.

Most Europeans left that behind them after 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I think the OP is just looking for a internet echo chamber argument. Like why bother posting this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The 12th is a really tense time in a lot of the North, I hate it.

Obviously people burning up that bonfire was wrong, it's kind of mildly encouraging that SF condemned it as well as unionists.

A lot of unionists wouldn't really understand it, but the Orange Order is seen as a really hateful organisation by Catholics, and there are genuine reasons for it. Members are prohibited from marrying Catholics or even going to something like a Catholic funeral. Because the North is so dysfunctional and anti-Catholicism is so deeply ingrained, the Orange Order gets something of a pass among Protestants. Mervyn Gibson, it's leader, would be on TV and the radio, even though the organisation is so anti Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CarProblem

as wind up OPs go this is definitely better than average on this site tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

A daring raid on a bonfire seems more in keeping with the event itself than peaceful observance!

Next time guard the bonfire better maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You do this knowing exactly what's going to follow... pages and pages of the same arguments going around in circles.

What do you get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Community Celebrations?

You mean when a bunch of unemployed, inbred, fat drugged-up thugs set fire to some old pallets draped in their Kindergarten-standard banners?

Yay!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They can't ignore it because the Orange Order insists on shoving their hateful bile down Nationalists throats. You know that, Downcow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yay - cant wait for the hooligans out looking to bate a taig off the streets! Used to be quare fun getting the **** kicked out of me by a gang of drunken orangemen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Ah yes,those were the days walking down the street after a few pints, getting a hiding from skinheads with union jack t-shirts and doc martens.

Back in those times we took it on the chin,head and rib's. No other choice and you'd be lucky to get a broken rib.

No jobs either, a lot moved down to Shannon in the 70's and 80's. They had their own community on the east side of the town, settled in quite well. They drank in the Shannon Knights bar all you'd hear was northern accents and even the grandkids have northern accents.

https://youtu.be/NGYdSBRr4H4

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He sounds like a fella from Monaghan I once ran into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We love the 12th. It's always great to welcome so many visitors from the North, who come on their annual holidays to the republic in the 2nd week of July each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Why do unionists feel the need to burn our national flag on the bonfires, to keep parishioners trapped in churches as they parade loudly banging their drums of hate, why don't they just march in places where they are wanted. Before you deflect, orangemen should exactly their calibre by singing a song about a murdered woman on her honeymoon. Anyone who attends these bonfires with above on top of it is a bigot, end of and in any other state would be charged with a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least the BBC have decided to stop giving it live coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see GB News are going to take their place 😂

I recall in the 90's Sky News would have the Drumcree march live from outside the church awaiting it all to kick off after the mass.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

why don't they just march in places where they are wanted

Where is the fun in that? It is more craic to wind up the dirty Taigs!

I know of one 40+ years ago that sure as **** wasn't burned early by a "rival". 🤣

The memorial to soldiers killed at narrowwater hasnt been damaged since one william frazier departed to his ethernal reward.....go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah ya see the unionists haven't left the 800's yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭downcow

All so predictable. Pathetic really. Just picking isolated incidents and trying to label weeks of celebration. I could do likewise with any aspect of Irish cultural celebration.

if you believe your inputs are representative of what goes on then I guess your attitudes are understandable - but it says so much more about nationalist prejudice than it does about July celebrations

Advertisement