Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2022 , Round 9 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

They do , along with Albon I think and Gasly for something else and ZHOU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Even if Verstappen goes off into the distance, should be good between Alonso, Sainz and Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

If the Merc bottoming out and scraping repeatedly is now being referred to as "bouncing" and "not porpoising" do they still need to do something about it? It still looked very bouncy on that straight, you could clearly hear it as well.

Ted Kravitz on that friggin skateboard was giga cringe....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Verstappen is more than likely going to have an easy win tomorrow but If Sainz doesn't get passed Alonso early on and finish 2nd then there's no hope for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 649 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Yeah I didnt ever see that working out. It was nowhere near dry enough in the 1st sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭thefa

Will be there interesting if Russell can clear the Haas’ and Ocon with Hamilton getting held up by Alonso. LeClerc and Perez will need to get past some decent drivers too for good points. Potential for a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I had to watch the last five minutes of Q3 back as I feel asleep bizarrely. Great to see alonso on the front row. Alonso and verstsppen on the front row is good stuff. Poor call by George Russell/ Mercedes’ to go to slicks on a track that was drying but not that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There was a discernible dry line on most of the track but T1, T2 were saturated and T3, T5 was still wet so it was a really bad call.

The run down to the hairpin is lined with trees so track would have been tricky there too

The Mercs were bouncing badly down the back straight as the inters wore down and the dry line appeared.

Still think Perez and LeClerc can have a say in the top 5 as I expect a safety car will be needed at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hopefully we'll see a bit of a battle between Russell and Hamilton, I'd expect Russell to catch up to him pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They can call it whatever they want bit it's still the same thing. Even running higher due to the wet weather it was still dreadful. They most definitely have to do something about it so I expect to see them finish down the field today as they just can't get any performance out of that car and not do damage to the driver's.

The Ferrari looked awful on the straights as well so interesting to see what happens there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for Alonso. I really hope he gets a podium today. Really stupid by George Russel to think slicks would work in that and then to drive into a puddle to with them crazy. Looks like a great race or it could end up being boring either. I look forward to watching it tomorrow morning while I eat a nice fry for breakfast :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Rewatching Verstappens onboard of the pole position lap, it was a masterclass. The pace he had going a second faster each lap with the lack of viability and the level of car control in that weather is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The winner of the race is sorted, only question is whether perez will get second

From Formula1.com

Clearly there's no smoke testing on this kind of stuff. Why would anyone do strategy 3 and start on mediums and then pit before the guys who start on softs instead of starting on softs? Because no-one checked. 🤣 Damn it I hate the state of journalism and content these days.

Looks like they're expecting a one-stop anyway. Maybe the green track will cause higher wear. With the short enough pitlane time-loss and everyone having loads of fresh tyres hopefully we'll see some mixing up through the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Why would anyone do strategy 3?

That could happen if starting on strategy 1 and a safety car?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd say strategy 3 world only work with a safety car. But it would work equally well for for either soft or medium tyres. Early first pitstop and then go aggressive for relatively short stints on hards and softs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For strategy 3 you could also use up all the life of the tyres knowing you're on a two stop, see Perez last week in Baku doing too much on his and losing pace

Strategy 2 would see you extending the life of the soft to make a one stop work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Toto apparently threw a tantrum at a TP meeting with Domenicali yesterday over the technical directive. And netflix were allowed in with camera in tow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 649 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I'd say Toto has very few team principle mates in the paddock.

And rightly so. As a big tall (and fat but anyway :P ) bastard I've had to learn the unfortunate lesson that if I behave like a 5 foot 8 120-pounder does then it's "threatening". He doesn't even do that, he's always come across like a bully and the "**** you!" shouting at the camera and the victim complex that apparently comes from years of dominating a sport.

On paper mediums will cost a spot off the line and possibly more. Actually thinking about it there's been some serious scrapping this season in the first handful of laps when possible, cars really are following better. Anyway, for the loss of a spot or 2 the advantage of starting on mediums and hopefully be able to push harder doesn't really add up. Unless of course there's unexpected catastrophic tyre-wear. 😅 Unless it's traffic or some other outside reason (massive gap ahead of Alonso ;) ) it's incredibly rare for someone to deliberately go shorter on harder tyres than they would on the softer tyres.

Probably how the race is going to go

I hope Alonso gets off the line well and goes full troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A blazing row with Horner and Domenicalli if reports are to be believed.

I mean I have sympathy for Toto, if the shoe was on the other foot and Merc were flying I know he would let stuff be changed to help others out.

After years of dominating he has an ego that can't handle it at the minute, must be killing him with Russell outperforming another ego and him having to massage that ego too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think I love Guenther 😂

Danica Patrick loves telling that shoe story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would like to know what kind of shoe it was. Was it an Adidas Superstar or a Next brogue? Who knows...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement