Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Electricity Bills: Then Vs Now

• 09-06-2022 2:29pm

People have been asking me if my panels have been worth it

Just looked at my most recent bills and I have to say, yes, it is.

Bill this cycle is €147 including all the crazy price upswings this year.

Bill this time last year, before increases and before solar install, €180

Even ignoring the increases to electricity base rate; That €30 saving AND the mortgage drop in getting a Green Mortgage means that my array is already cost neutral to me. The savings are completely covering the loan on the install.

Accounting for the increased cost of power, the extra savings are covering the winter shortfall.

And that is before I go into the oil I save not heating water for a family which seems to have showers several times a day.

Edit: I really do need another battery though

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bills are a poor measurement, you need to look at usage and habit change

Oh I know that but with a young family our daytime/evening usage will always run high.

This is where my savings come in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm open to correction here but is that €30 saving every two months on your electricity bill compared to when you didn't have the panels fitted?

Vs the massive increases this year. Would have been way north of 200 considering I am WFH full time also

Our unit usage is also way down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

How much was the loan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

This isn't a great example of the possible savings sorry. We have no idea the size of your system or the amount of KW you consume. 30 euro off a bill is not going to excite anyone thinking about investing.

You mention you don't have a battery... are you getting one? Did you build hybrid so that you can add one easily? Without a battery my self consumption rate would be less than 50% of my solar generation. That would mean less monthly money saved but also less money invested on the system.

If you are happy with your outcome that is great but don't go into marketing or sales please. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

U have a lot of KWp but only 30e savings. Must be a big change in usage, any idea how much oil you are saving OP?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone else eagerly awaiting their latest bill from Electric Ireland.?

bills have been issued in mid Nov, mid Jan & mid March, but no May bill yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

I dont think it is a big saving to be honest. These are the best months in Ireland in terms of solar radiation and 30eur in 2 months does not sound like a great return to me (even if prices have gone up or whatever).

You really need to crunch the numbers to figure out what your return in investment really is worthy in your case. It isnt as simple as the different in your bills now than pre-panels.

Also, people do forget to mention that inventors have 10 years lifespan and panels 20 (generally speaking).

I got my may bill from EI. still in credit from the 300 euro switch (plus the 200 gov money).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I'm still in credit after 200 from Gov. May bill was 33Euro and most of it is standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

After two bills im still in credit, €41. next bill will be about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

My day rate units for the month of may were reduced by 80% compared to last year (8kw array installed in April). I’m working to try and get that down further.

Do you have a battery? I can go days without any daytime import... still need a few night rate - mostly to heat water for morning showers. i only have a 5Kw but it makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How much we talking to install solar on a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Nearly all homes are different. Roof type, orientation to the sun and personal requirements. Get some quotes to gauge the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

I only have a 3.6 kw battery. I think I’m using import units when the battery cant supply enough kw at once to cover a high power appliance or the heat pump.

Post edited by Faiche Ro on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking for some advice here, I kicked up a fuss about swapping out my day night meter with a smart meter with the FIT coming in and got this back from BG

==============================================================================================

Please refer to ESB Networks email below. Can you please confirm that you wish to exchange your day night meter to a smart meter?

Please be mindful that once you have switched over to a smart meter you will be placed on a 24 hour rate. Once the meter is operational, you can request to switch over to the smart tariffs. With the smart tariffs there would be a day, night and peak rate.

You can have a read through the various different smart tariffs here: https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/residential-smart-meters

The different unit rates for the smart tariffs you can have a look through here: https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs.  

Please be mindful of the following points if you were to switch over to the smart tariffs: 

Once you switch over to the smart tariffs you cannot go back onto the 24 hour tariff

If you have level pay on your account you would not be able to continue with the level pay as the smart tariffs have the option of monthly billing

You are free to switch from one smart tariff to another if you are not happy with the smart tariff you are on.

When responding to this email please include your first and last name, account number and full supply address.  

I hope you have found this information helpful.

==============================================================================================

I'm wondering what the best thing to do is, I've heard the smart meter pricing isn't great and I've heard people say stick to day night.

Do you have solar or a battery? Need more info to advise.... but unless you have a way of avoiding peak rate, why not stickwh night rate and load shifting....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Dont rush to get rid of your day night meter.

Remember the minimum fit is 0c.

Also if your on a day night you get an estimated export rate until you actively refuse a smart meter.

There is time of use tariffs on smart meters but you can't use the traditional day night tariffs. Which currently have lower unit rates than smart meters but watch out for the standing charge.

I'd be hanging onto the day/night until more providers show their hand! Regarding a fit and figure out how much you actually export!

When can we expect that "estimate" payment? I havent been keeping up with the news (or lack of it) on the FIT thing - I am holding on to my night meter for reasons above. I have a polite "No Smart Meter Please!" yellow post-it note on my meter outside.

Still using up the gov bonus - would love to get a few quid from FIT to offset the dark winter nights Nov/dec/jan.

3.3kw pv upgrading more soon.

installing 10ah battery as we speak

Any idea how they estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

and they know that based on that PV registration thing that I still have to do?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I know there's another thread on this so apologies for double posting, I can't seem to find it.

What is the basic minimum I need to do to fill out the NC6 form, panels are in a few years so trying to track down original installer for a sig will be painful.

I saw something about being able to just attach the cert for the inverter as proof but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Hi, I don't thinks the OP is making much of a saving per month and as someone sitting on the fence I have some concerns over the payback of solar. Usage and orientation are important in any calculation.

Anyhow the number one issue IMO is the fact that the grid connection charges have not gone anywhere. ie. Standing charge and PSO levy. When the 'real' savings are calculated it doesn't make since for me. I've seen bill from houses similar to mine and the savings are ~€40 per month.

The second issue is the climate in Ireland and the fact that there is little energy generated by solar when we need it, ie. Evenings, and during the winter months. A battery will help offset this but the payback duration is the problem. A DIY solar system is something I am looking into due to the high cost of SEAI installation.

A smart system that uses the energy when the sun shines, or the wind blows would be the ideal.

Has to be said there is some brilliant info on here about the DIY route. Thanks to these posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

If you were talking about ~€40 a month reduction and that was in relation to "wintertime", that sounds about right, but it's too simplistic to only compute the math off Dec&Jan generation. If you have the consumption, let's say north of 5000 units per year.....you'll do pretty well out of solar. I've been tracking mine since I got it installed

Aside: I'd an issue with my battery in late Nov/Early Dec, so they should ahve been about €40 but the battery was offline and the May increase is mainly down to the explosion in day rate lately from SSE to €0.31 (up from €0.22)

So I'm 7 months in and just broke €600. To be fair, I'm a little unusual, as I can pretty much "self-consume" my generation. But many here are also in the same boat if you have

a) an EV

b) teenagers in the house

c) generally high consumption from heat pump, lots of washing, etc.

It's been said many times on the forums, for many households, you can expect a ~10 year payback is achievable, assuming they don't buy the "magic panels" or gold plated battery. Whether or not your specific case is applicable, I can't say - but for the vast majority of people out there a solar installation is probably one of the smarter investments someone will make.

Advertisement