Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so many stupid people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watch the movie idiocracy, it’s been prophetic to a degree.

I remember when John Kerry was running for the presidency and one of his biggest issues was that he sounded too intelligent and people couldn’t understand what he was saying. They were less intimidated by Bush. It’s one of the reasons Sarah Palin, Trump and Bojo appeal to so many, they can talk (just coherently enough) simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I don’t believe that there are more stupid or ignorant people around today that at any other point in time. The bell curve distribution is the same as it ever was. It’s just that there are so many loud, self-aggrandizing individuals today, whose inane thoughts and opinions are amplified on social media.

Growing up, my parents had very little money. The both left school at 14/15 due to coming from very large families back in the day. However, they were both naturally very intelligent people and filled our house with books. They pushed us all to succeed academically knowing that education is a passport to a brighter future. My family was seen as ‘odd’ by the neighbors, because we studied hard and had ambition.

This anti-intellectualism is ever present even today in modern Ireland. My eldest daughter is 5 and has started school. I do some extra reading with her and teach her some simple maths and a few words of a European language that I speak. My wife is teaching her Irish. She’s a very bright little thing and absorbs it all like a sponge. I love seeing her learning and developing an intellectual curiosity. Needless to say, I’ve heard cousins of mine bitching behind my back saying that we are driving our children too hard and putting them under pressure. It’s total BS of course. We’re just trying to foster a love of learning.

This is viewed suspiciously by some segments of society, almost as if it’s a perversion. I guess it’s more socially acceptable to spend your evenings glued to Love Island..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

As you say, you grew out of it.

We all did stupid things when we were younger.

These people short of a few picnic sandwiches are the same ones that take the "liveline gold" moments very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Reads thread, decides to post something that has nothing to do with thread. Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Altogether now......

https://youtu.be/W4XN8dsnBZk

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Wasn't the internet great before all the dumb-dumbs arrived thanks to social media?

A lot of people are happy with their level of knowledge I find . Some of the most content people I've met are people I wouldn't want to be sitting next to at a table quiz, but some also been extremely nice people.

There's more to a person than their intelligence although as highlighted on this thread some of the utter cretins that have found fame through the modern internet would make any same person's toes curl.

Humans are complex creatures, ourselves included, we all judge each other as a matter of course, but it's probably wise not to draw conclusions without first gaining greater insight into the people we meet.

I'd prefer to judge people on their honesty, decency and integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

People who think that 50% of people are of below average intelligence need to learn the difference between mean and median

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Its hard to believe that's one of the most popular progs on radio, i think he is a clone of uncle Gaybo.

• Advertisement

I do that here sometimes, i usually get a yellow card and got completely banned once, i had a go at the farmers, the Gardai, Dublin airport and a few others, the mods get really pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Stupid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Basically if there are 5 people in a room and Elon musk walks in, the average net worth is about 50bn. That does not mean 50% of people are worth over 50bn. The median is just the middle person's net worth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Wealth isn't normally distributed though. IQ, which seems the most accepted measure of intelligence, is normally distributed, so the median, mean and mode are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As a doctor said to me recently- all the wrong people are having children !

a couple of long term never employed are having 6 or 7 children , aren’t interested in how the cost of providing for them and are dependent on welfare and handouts .

whilst a hardworking couple with both working in reasonable / good employment might have one or two because they want to do things right and can’t fund anymore

the 7 from the first family becomes 49 in one generation whilst the 2 from the working family becomes 4 .

it’s a huge problem in rural communities as the sharp young people with brains head to Dublin or abroad whilst those who don’t work multiply going nowhere only upping the percentage of low brainpower people in a town .

Yes indeed OP, yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Well I could say that the fact that you need to ask the question shows that you're stupid. Are they really stupid? Or are they just stupid in a different way to the way you're stupid... which you mightn't have realised about yourself yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Now that they've created all the inventions and infrastructure, they're not needed any more!

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Yellow boxes at traffic lights. I don't know who's more stupid, the person who created such a system or the person who drives into the yellow box when their exit isn't clear and holding up traffic. Nobody is going anywhere the longer the idiot sits in the box but then they can't go on red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hehe, and then there's stupid...

or do I 'mean' ignorant?

or just plain f***ing daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I just have to look at my previous posts to realize that op.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just saw an unstable young lad at Body & Soul festival, knocking with his knuckles on the entrance to a tent.

No answer,.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

With a normally distribute bell curve they're pretry much the same.

Like the guy in the mental hosp goes around pulling a string behind him, asked why are you going always around pulling a string behind you.

Reply... do you want me to push it in front of me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There’s not more stupid people as such , but 20 years ago only a certain demographic had internet access , through college and work etc , now every cnt does and we’re seeing a large volume of uneducated opinions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's an element to that alright. To get online in the early days generally required some knowledge to get connected in the first place and some more to end up finding anything, and it tended to be people who were more likely "nerds"(which brings its own angles) who were more likely to be or appear "intelligent". Now anyone with a phone has an open channel pushed to them, so you get a much bigger spread of people and intelligences at play.

And it depends on how you define intelligence anyway. TBH I don't bump into too many truly "stupid people". I bump into different people with different strengths and weaknesses, IE people. If I go looking online, well yeah you can bump into a few dopes, but again IMHO you have to go looking. For all the back and forth on this site, I can't think of any truly stupid people, or they're very much a minority. People I might wildly disagree with, even find a bit daft to my eyes, yeah, but stupid, not nearly so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

I blame plugs. Once you weren't able to wire your own plug and they all came moulded to your toaster, people didn't have to achieve a certain level of competence or dexterity. It was the start of the state safety net for everything. Believe me, in the future you'll be able to trace the downfall of humanity to the day that moulded plugs became commonplace.

Advertisement