Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so many stupid people?

Options
  • 15-06-2022 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Is it shortcomings of the educational system, societal failures, or were there always just this many completely stupid people in the world?

I think social media has probably drawn the curtain back on the high numbers of complete dimwits - so maybe they were always there, through the ages?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comments

None of the above really in your first paragraph OP

The Stupid TV and Radio Ads on Irish TV and Radio MUST WORK, if they get worse and more cringeworthy year by year - Take phones and cars. And the "common sensical" ads. There is a measurable audience for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The media are playing their part in dumbing down the population. Producing sh1te like Love Island etc. where the celebrate the likes of Joey Essex etc. Also, have you seen what passes for journalism nowadays? No research in many cases, a load of cobbled together twitter screenshots etc.

Mobile phones are also chopping away at people's attention spans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

So what gives you the right to decide people are stupid? most people seem to do pretty ok, i know loads of people who are different and quite a lot of them seem to have pretty ok lives with modest means, often more contented with their lot than so-called intellegent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The OP is expressing an opinion, which he/she has every right to do. If they think an awful lot of people are stupid, that's their right. They may be right or wrong, but they are free to think and express it.

You are right, most people do ok whether they are stupid or not. You can be very very clever and be poor. Look at Tesla for example. Very intelligent man who died in poverty. Being content is no indication of being stupid or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anger clouds judgment. There’s a lot of angry men out there, not happy with how the world is “changing” and leaving them behind.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I don't think most people are unintelligent. I do however believe that an awful lot of people are ignorant and/or incompetent in a lot of the things they say and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Think how stupid the average person is and then think half are stupider than that 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When I was in school I remember itching to get out so I wouldn't be around stupid people anymore. Being in all male Christian Brothers school I would say the general atmosphere was like a prison. Many of my fellow students were working and thinking at some base level. Many just didn't want to learn and gathered information from friends. So one person who didn't understand something could spread information to a group so they all didn't know and would agree with each other.

Went to college and things were different but there were certainly a new type of stupid I met. People who memorise things but not understand them. Amazing how people like this function and it works really well for certain subjects but useless when they have to work out things. These people can excel in college and get good paying jobs.Along with some lecturers who were so out of the loop they wouldn't be able to do entry level work in the industry.

Anyway once in the real world and working I realised stupid people don't go away and pop up in my work life here and there. Some people get jobs just because they speak the right way and have a college education. I worked with one women who I couldn't understand how she kept her job for a long time. Every project she was put on she was removed from after causing problems due to her constant mistakes. She did have an English degree but somehow was working in IT.

It turns out her family were very rich and basically she grew up with many of the richest part of the population. Her family therefore knew many top executives around the country. So when presenting to a client they would bring her along as she would undoubtedly know some of the top people in the company. Once the project started she would mess up and they would move her. She eventually left and became a lecturer in a university. So incompetent person with no real skill nor ability now teaches others. Spreading stupid around.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Maybe your father got around OP 😉

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

social media etc allows stupid people to make a lot more noise that they used to. it used to be the case that stupid people could only advertise their stupidity to those directly within ear shot.. now they can broadcast it across the world. Coupled on top of this that stupid congregates in a crowd as they find safety in numbers, therefore that stupidity considers itself the consensus, the mean, the normal reality. That leads to that group of stupidity viewing people of intelligence with suspicion and hatred. Then we get what we have in the US with science and intelligence is dismissed as "your facts, not my facts" and we end up living in a world of "alternative facts" where stupidity has a free reign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I really envy the perpetually thick- they seem so happy, all the time!

They go around creating disaster after disaster, often completely oblivious and the people who actually give a shït go around worrying about it and dealing with the fallout.

They're definitely on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There have always been stupid people but to be honest I think people are more educated now than before. Social media does have an effect. Fellas who would have been holed up in their stone cottage in Ballynowhere 60 years ago can now broadcast to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭growleaves

People with connections will always win out in competing for jobs because what is most needed at a company - any company - is someone who can definitely be trusted, which is why a hyperintelligent person will always be a distant second to somebody's cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭growleaves

A LOT of jobs involve rote tasks which just have to be done, and for which basic ability plus withstanding boredom are the only requirements.

Roles are made to be fungible because otherwise the employee would have too much leverage in salary negotiations and would be a nightmare to replace.

What organisation wants super-intelligent people walking around unless it's totally unavoidable? Only if complexity is tied to profits will such people even be tolerated. They can potentially make managers look bad and feel insecure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's less stupid people than you think because some of them have multiple accounts! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

More stupid people have come to the fore through social media & that seems to make it ok to be that way.

It's almost a fashion statement in publicising how stupid a person that you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mama says stoopid is as stoopid does

You can say what you like about the OP's father. He might not have been the sharpest tool in the box, but he was damn good at delivering milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I've said it before and I'll say it again, take the danger sign off the back of bottles of domestos and the like, for the sake of humanity.

I know what you mean. It put so so many people off curing their Covid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't think there is any difference between the distribution of IQ and common sense today and in the past. It's just that the social media allows for the validation and long life of misinformed views. In the past if you had a misinformed view and met 6 people who told you it was wrong you'd feel the need to reevaluate you position. Today even if you do meet the same six people, you probably have another 20 on social media telling you they agree with you, so no need to reconsider your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In fairness this is the only time I have seen this. There are other people who have parents that give them a lot of help with "companies". Basically the family sets them up with funds and/or contracts to have a company. Ireland is relatively equal and doesn't have the old boys club of the UK or USA.

I don't know about your family but I wouldn't trust my cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

You all taste the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Just as vice versa I believe level of distaste and lack of refinement can lead to bad choices. Stupid isas a society permits it do, but then you run into the idiots directing it too.

Worth keeping in mind just as clown world doesn’t quite extend in being effectively just Westworld for every awtist here administered an aerosol by their tutor to celebrate say african culture there’s at least 100 kids at the grand piano the other direction reciting Bach. Bad choices can lead to bad, bad, bad 2 tha bone results…

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭NiceFella

OP, your post is vague. What do you define as "Stupid" as Stupid is a relative term. For example, next to Einstein we are all stupid.

My definition of stupid has nothing to do with some IQ score. It would be someone who is incapable or unwilling to learn from experience. Yes many people will and do make the same or similar mistakes over and over ..... etc.

It's the unwilling ones that piss me off more. The ones who have more interest in maintaining an ignorant viewpoint rather than being open to be challenged or to change there mind when confronted by opposing evidence.

It's probably just that after putting that many willies into your mouth, they all start to taste the same to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Most people are plain stupid but probably well meaning. I don’t think the ratio changes really over time.

There is always an imbalance because they will always outweigh us superior ones in numbers. You don’t get used to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Advertisement