Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free houses or not Free houses ... "tenants" to be sued

Comments

€50 a week... the rest of us work our asses off to fund this.

I'm sure these tenants are paragons of virtue in other aspects of life: what fraction if any own a TV Licence?

How many times is the same Netflix password shared I wonder between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Great little country. The rent is 10% of the incone. So that's €500 a week.

To have a take home pay of 500 a week you need to earn over 37 grand. Which is decent enough money.

Imagine someone earning 37 grand a year saying they can't afford €50 a week rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭Furze99

What works is when an example is made - evict them, have all the cameras there, fully expose these freeloaders to the public. Give it loads of air time and as much publicity as possible.

Knowing this country it would be a scandal to kick them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sure DCC is owed 50 million in arrears from these type of wasters.

Ah sure there is no free houses blah blah.

No one is scamming the system blah blah.

The usual army will be along soon to make excuses for these poor unfortunate souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JuanGreen

I guess we don't have to imagine it... This is the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I lived in a council house for years I can't fathom how you could run into arrears. The rent is calculated so there is absolutely no hardship on you, your looking at about 15% of income. It should be deducted at source anyway to avoid this crap (by revenue or social welfare).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There should be no way it could get that far.

It shouldn't but it's way too lax the system. These are people flat out refusing to pay rent, 20k in arrears is a **** joke. Deduct it at source is the best solution, I can't understand why it's not done already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Only 10% of income is rent? I thought it was closer to 20%. SDCC must be one of the cheapest accommodation providers in the State

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The dole and council houses money tree badly needs pruning.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

It's absolutely galling.

What's the point in working? Paying 1500 a month in rent for a 1 bed here and could be evicted due to landlord selling up at any stage.

This country really is no country for working men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The main reason for arrears is extra income in the household not being declared, or being declared years later, and then the differential rent is adjusted upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭DubCount

So, after the tax payer pays a load of money to chase this through the courts, they get a fiver a week court order.

If the tenant still doesn't pay, they get evicted and become homeless - then the tax payer pays for their homeless accommodation.

What a great deal for the taxpayer - heads they lose, tails they dont win.

Na the main reason is they just don't want to pay it. The council's are unbelievably reasonable if you get into arrears, they'll put you into generous repayment plans provided you engage and stick to them.

For information on how rent is calculated in SDCC.

South Dublin County Council Differential Rent Scheme 2021 (opens as PDF).

I do think Differential Rent Schemes across local authorities need to be standardised.

I think getting people to pay what they owe should be the first priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Amazing that it cant be deducted from welfare payments. Madness. Zero point taling it to court. Just start deducting it source including arrears.

I don't disagree, and they should have a robust method of collecting arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Social Welfare recipients can sign up voluntarily to have their rent paid automatically, (The Household Budget Scheme) but the issue is those who don't pay.

There's a whole quagmire of legal complications around debt - and I don't have the links to hand but in a nutshell, social welfare is considered a substistance level of income, and if the State were to take involuntary deductions from social welfare payments, it could put someone below the level of income they need to sustain themselves - so they won't do that without a court order.

Getting a court order is another story.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As for evictions for non-payment, all it takes is for one eviction order to be followed by a (non-paying) tenant suicide, and no judge has the balls to evict again for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Emotional blackmail should never be allowed as a cover for law breaking and theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is the reason why all our councils got out of social housing. They can't evict and the debt hangs over them for ever, much easier to fob tenants to private landlords and let them take the blame for the state of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What chance do landlords have when this can go on with a public body with all the resources at its disposal.

The annoying thing is the little rent that is to paid month on month most likely is also tax payer money

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

A lot of bitter Brendans and bitter brendas in here. I repeat again, there is no such thing as free houses. Again, there is no such thing as free houses, no matter how much certain People spout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr Hindley

But if someone has a house and they're not even paying the 50 euro a week for it i.e. they're paying zero, then it's a free house, right? I mean, it shouldn't be, by the rules, but if they're getting away with breaking the rules, then they're getting the house for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It should be deducted at source, perhaps not at first but if there is rent not being paid rather than wait and allow the debt to rise the local authority should be more proactive in tackling the non payment.

I work with a girl on lone parents living in an apt, I think HAP. Anyway she pays 100 per week towards her rent out of her lone parents payment and its deducted at source.

Advertisement