Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The new modem is definitely much better than the white yoke, I'm getting over 400 everywhere around the house I'm on the 500 BB only deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Very pleased with the speeds from eir fttc , 100 megs but very consistent around the house .@CoBo55 is on the ball with white modem I was getting speeds on my internal network of 10Mbs with the 250 virgin package.I`M getting 40/50 now on the eir fttc 100 mb package .

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I cancelled after the VM price rise. 6 days later they have offered my broadband package at half price. A saving of €36 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

How did you get in touch with them ? I've bene trying all methods and no luck as I too want to cancel with them after that price rise

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I used 1908 phone number. But on the landline which is provided by VM. The number does not work for me using my mobile. Phone at about 9 15am in the morning when they shouldn't be too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

I used an Asus router with the hub in bridge mode, I got the full 360 wirelessly with that setup. No need to dig out the Asus with the new black modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭garyskeepers

Just called to cancel.

Upgraded my broadband from 250mbs to 500 and stuck it at half price for 9 months.

best result from VM yet for me,.

Nice one, 35 for 9 months and a much better router that's a great deal.

So just an Update on the above.

I still have not received my upgrade. I am currently on my 5th call with VM, all 4 calls have lasted more than 1 hour before being answered.

Here is a timeline.

Saturday: Called to cancel, was offered the deal, so accepted. I was told to expect the new internet hub on Tuesday and they wont cancel my TV subscription until the new internet box arrives. About an hour after the call, the TV subscription is removed.

Tuesday: Coming towards COB i called to see was my delivery on the way. Was told that the automated ordering system was down and my order never went through and they will put in the order for swapping out the new hub now, and it could take 24-48 hours.

Thursday: I called to see if my box was on the way. I was told there wasn't a box ordered as I didn't need a new box as my old hub can do 500mb, but I would need to organise a VM engineer to come out and reboot it. I Told them I wanted a new box. And If i don't have it the next day, im cancelling. I tell them i still havent received my upgrade and I don't want to pay for a service I don't have yet. I was told "Ah yeah you will be charged for that". I told them i WILL NOT Pay and am told i will have to call billing after my bill comes out. I was told by sales that the other people i was speaking to ( I was transferred from 2 different departments) "must have been spoofing me".

Friday: The new hub arrives. I check the speed and its coming up at 250mb. I check my back office and see i havent changed from the 250mb yet. Twitter tells me they see its in transition and can take up to an hour. This was 11am. I called at 5:30 to see what the hold up was. I get through at 6:30 and was told it's a billing issue and billing closes at 6, but they are open tomorrow.

Saturday: I call and billing is closed. I contact twitter and they tell me it can take up to 48 hours for the profile to update. (from 1 hour to 48 hours)

Monday: (today) I spend 35 minute on hold only for the phone line to go dead. I am not on hold again.#

Update: Got through after about 25 minutes and confirmed my details, and they asked me did i get anything delivered to me, whilst in the middle of speaking, the line went dead. And get this, I didn't get a call back, had to go wait in line again.

So i got through to another chap who couldn't help me, and told me the same BS excuse i had gotten on Tuesday, the automated service failed and the order didn't go through. He put me on hold for another 20 minutes and i actually got through to the 1st person to talk sense and give me some information. After talking to her for 30 minutes she said she would call back and let me know if the order has gone through.

i told her if its not done today, im cancelling my direct debit and putting the equipment onto the street for them to pick up.

Lets see how long it takes.

Great service huh?

Post edited by garyskeepers on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭EarWig

VM CS is crap.

I cancelled when I couldn't get a good offer. They later called back with a good one so I said I'd stay.

Then a few months in I realise I'm still paying for the old account as well as the new one. And of course half a hour wait just to get through to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭paul321123

If you are coming upto or are currently out of contract and paying full price with VM you are paying too much, just ring them up and tell them you can not afford their product, quote eir/ Vodafone as they have better prices, they will come down in price, they will try six months at half price but hold out for 9minths at have price keep quoting other suppliers prices, don't be afraid to go through with cancellation as they will ring you back up within days with an offer, there is a lot of money to be saved if you just ask them what's the best deal they can do.

Hi Paul.

Yes I was out of contract. So 9 months half price broadband was a good deal. I cancelled my TV service as I don't watch it.

Finally went through yesterday so I have the upgraded broadband, after 8 calls and 7 hours and many lies and no shows.

Now to deal with my bill and making sure I get the money charged for the time period in between is refunded. Theres another 10 calls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

That's some runaround!

When you say that you checked your Back Office to confirm speed, would you mind sharing how you checked this please?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This actually doesn't always work especially when you have the full bb, phone and TV package. In my experience the only way to get cheapest rate is to cancel and sign up again in a spouses name. Keep switching each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭paul321123

@ sheep shagger, for about 8-10years now, this has worked for me. I have BB, TV + phone, only once did I have to say I am cancelling and within 3days I had a call back asking if there was anything that could keep me with them, if its price that is too expensive just say but do you home work and have the deals what the likes of eir, Vodafone have which will always be better, if you don't ask they will not offer it to you, always be polite and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Ozvaldo

the 1 gb broadband any good ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yep its the only way to get the best rate, done it 3 times now. You can sign up in Mickey mouses name if ya want it doesn't matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MickyD

Ok Hi SheepShagger, when do they start to charge the new account ? is it only when you switch over or they start from sign up ?

I presume one has to cancel first before the other 'username' can sign up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭TheRona

Just did my annual dance with Virgin Media after receiving notice of the €4 increase. Probably the easiest call I've had (apart from the initial hold time) and also the best deal I've had.

Currently on Gigabit at €85/month, going to €89. In a rough position where I can only have Virgin here, so can't threaten to leave, although I am planning on moving soon to an area that has Eir.

Told them I'm about to be paying €90/month when I could be paying €50/month with Eir with a Gigabit connection for 24 months. She put me on hold and offered me a 12 month contract at €40/month for 9 months followed by €80/month for 3 months. Works out at exactly €50/month for the next year. Can't complain. Done deal.

Day you activate the service- not when you sign up.

If you close your account, how soon after can you reopen one under a different name and how long does it take to get reconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Cookiee

You can open an account under someone else's name right away once you close your account, if they say anything about someone else at that address say you just moved in

When we switch accounts between each other there are 2 accounts at the same address. They'll give you a day service will end on the old contract and we tend to switch the gear over and activate the new service the day before so there is no interruption to service.

I see now there is a €50 activation fee on any new accounts....never had to pay that before I don't think. Still quids in over 12 months rather than paying their out of contract rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

This thread was great for the last few years as was able to get some great discounts, Will be switching over to three with a 4g router as it's much better value as I can get 100mbps+ for 20 quid a month as Virgin is getting too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭EarWig

Yes that can work surprisingly well and with luck you'll only have to do it for a couple of years until EIR's fibre arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

How does the three plan work? I have great three coverage and was wondering if it could be an option for me - is it mobile broadband, is the deal bill pay or PAYG - excuse all the questions tech is not my strong point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭AH92

Yea it's just the 20 euro pay as you go deal with unlimited data, You just have to source a 4g router yourself like a huawei b535 (Make sure it's unlocked) and that should do the job, Have a look around the house on your phone to see where the best speeds are(using speed test), Mine happens to be on the master bedroom window allowing it to reach 150 mbps+

Advertisement