Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

I noticed that and lolled. Soon these Mickey Mouse dealers disappear the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,878 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No you aren’t , the people replying to you are showing their true colours, it’s pretty obvious to see who they cater to to be honest.

off topic now but have a look at the withdrawn adds in TC12 profile. All 1-3 years old. Look at the prices. Puts the current pricing in perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,878 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd agree with you on that one. 893 is bang on regarding the issues with the watch and the defensive BS from the others on that thread highlights the lack of honesty and acumen by others on the thread.

It's basically unserviceable at RSC and you are being lumbered with someone elses attempt at a Tiffany dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

swop wit my adds lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Any watch traders using Instagram as their main store or using “kettle” in their name need to be avoided at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There was a Lambert guy that was trading as JMRKettles a half attempt at being a dealer. Load of datejusts and iced out stuff. Pulled out of a deal on a rootbeer with me last minute I was not impressed, and in hindsight he missed out on a good few grand profit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"harf pric" Jaysus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Down the rabbit hole today on aftermarket parts for a Seiko refurb. It'll be a couple of hours before I'm over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

morning, any idea what the import charges are from the usa? am i liable for vat as well?

thanks

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

4.5% duties and 23% VAT if memory serves me correctly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah jaysus, this is unreal. 😮🙂

Tried to buy from longislandwatch.com and 66 usd for courier. Asked why the UK was only 15 usd and was told they had a problem with an post and codes etc. Makes a watch too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

66 is a bit much when you have to add vat and most likely a customs handling fee as well. That being said i paid around 50 for shipping from Japan before.

I have also read stories of peoples packages being returned to sender by anpost/customs because the declarations weren't filled out correctly so maybe that's the reason they now only use fedex priority.

Came across scubo.nl diving gear shop. Did any of our diving lads on here ever have any dealings?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

I pulled the trigger on a Seiko with them last Friday. No sign of a shipment date and have not heard anything back since I emailed them yesterday to get an update. Having reviewed their website they call out that they have longer delivery times due to the fact that they don't hold any stock.

From their website:

At SCUBO.nl we deliberately choose not to keep stock. In that respect we are a kind of dropshipping company with a modern twist. Because we do not keep stock, we do not have to hire expensive staff and we also have no costs for a large warehouse. For these reasons you can enjoy diving cheaply with the latest gear!

Not sure I would have placed the order had I read this first!! Will see how it goes!!

thanks Dev

Have people stopped accepting PayPal these days? Last 3 watches I tried to buy all under 400 euro would not accept. One seller insisted on collection only. Not every one is in Dublin or indeed even visits.... just my daily grump!

Folks, you know the way that life can throw you a curve ball every once in a while that leaves you thinking that some omnipotent being is having a laugh at turning your life into a miserable soap opera?

In a way that's totally unrelated to watches of course 😉 Well I've reached that point in this particular run through of my life.

My infinitely better half was diagnosed with cancer last week and is currently awaiting staging and treatment plan. Fingers crossed it's caught early and all goes well. The drumbeat of positivity weighed a bit heavily on me this morning tbh.

We haven't told anyone IRL what's up yet. For a couple of reasons, we have no actual staging or prognosis as yet. Our boy is in the middle of his leaving cert and there's no point in telling him anything until we actually know something. So we've been ignoring it until we know whats up.

A younger me would have raged looking for someone to blame, because it has to be someone's fault doesn't it?

Middle aged me? Well middle aged me is working through what she wants, what needs doing and when. There has been some very black humour regarding me knowing what to do as I've done it before.

I know the likelihood is that she's going to be ok. I know that. But?

Fear and a habit of gaming out consequences, well let's just say the worst possible thing you can be at a time like this. Is alone with your thoughts.

I know it's not particularly watch related... But? I suppose we could swing it so that it's time related? In that we never know how much of it we have!

In that spirit, make the most of what time you do have and do it with a nice timepiece on your wrist 🤷‍♂️😉

Thinking of you banie. We were there in 2013 and with surgery and radiation still here now. So things can look bleak they might not be. Does throw our hobby into focus though. Good luck to both of ye and its important to know that you will have to bite your lip on a few occasions. Look after your Mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

hey Banie we had exactly this happen in last 9 months. Its a major shock to the system. Fortunately for my other half she is out the other side of it and alls looking well. I remember looking at my watch waiting to go in get the news from the consultant. Time moves differently in those situations.

Fingers crossed all worked out well for you! Its an emotional time!

Thanks for that Mick, and very happy that your Mrs has come through it and is out the other side.

So often we hear "Cancer" and think it's a death sentence. When so much progress has been made in treatment and management. It's never an easy road but it's becoming one that is well travelled and travelled far more successfully than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Thinking of ye both Banie. My mate and his missus going through the same with three young kids but caught early and positive outlook, hopefully ye get the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's tough for you and the family, @banie01 Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best wishes to your better half Banie, and to you and your family too.

It's a tough time and a massive shock to the system, but there are so many cancer survivors out there, which goes to show its can be treated and defeated.

Stay as positive as you can, and all the best.

Lads, thanks a million to every single one of ye who commented or PM'd. It really means a lot, especially the good news and remission stories. It's all too easy to fall into the misery trap and think the worst. So hearing those stories really has helped.

We are in a waiting game now until the Multi disciplinary team review the biopsy and scans to stage the cancer. We are due back in on the 21st, it's a hard, hard wait but all the messages and stories really have helped give my head a little peace.

So thank ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Hard to know what to say you at a time like this Banie. All I can say is I'm wishing you and the missus the best. Do your best to stay positive and don't forget to look out for your own mental health and wellbeing at this time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Second that on the mental health and wellbeing. There's a ton of great support available from places like the ark center. My missus has done a ton of councilling sessions and group meetings that she found very beneficial and it's all for free. It's a scary time and word. Like telling the kids and family was hard especially our parents..I think the older generation hear the word and think the worst. Our situation was freakishly discovered from a covid vaccine side effects.. otherwise would have been there probably for another ten years before being discovered and potentially a lot worse.

Fingers crossed all works out well.

Mick