Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange New Worlds 1x06 - 'Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 09-06-2022 5:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Strange New Worlds 1x06 - 'Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I must sat great start to this episode.

There is something I have a problem with do.

I do not think the Enterprise would have cadets assigned to communication or engineering or security because it is the flagship of the fleet.

I know the Enterprise -D had Wesley but he was a child genius.

We see here what happens with an incompetent person at the controls of weapons. I think anyone would be trained first before being allowed anywhere near them on the flagship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ SPOILERS and episode breakdown will soon be published in that link.

Enjoyable episode, who would have thought that Pike was a bit of a ladies man?

"I thought about you--us-- often, and wished that you would have come with me."

"Chris, I didn't need to. That's what I'm trying to say. They brought you back to me. Not the real you-- it's illusionary, of course-- but the part of you that still lives inside of me. We spent a lifetime together."

"I'm glad...I'm glad you're not alone."

"All this time, you kept me sane. Kept me tethered to what I once felt. Even though I was never the person you thought I was."

"You didn't deceive anyone, Vina. I felt it, too. But you're here now. This is real."

"As real as it needs to be." - Christopher Pike and Vina (DIS: "If Memory Serves")

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I actually thought it was pretty good - Interesting for sure

The fact the Prime Directive wasnt mentioned (or general order one) is interesting - although the more i think of it, perhaps it was correct to leave it out

It was decent - im gonna have to rewatch it - i think it still qualifies as a good episode IMHO - by my reckoning SNW is knocking it out of the park now - 6/6

Needs a rewatch though

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Plot/Script has been compared to the short story

"The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula Le Guin

Star Trek Strange New Worlds Ep 6 "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach" REVIEW

Not enough world building to establish that the Planet was a Utopia!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ms

The music in it was spot on almost movie like. In fact I think this whole episode would have made a great movie.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Great stuff, again. Star Trek does whodunit melodrama.

Wouldn't be my favourite of the season so far but that's fine. The planet they were at was really interesting. I don't mind at all that there isn't more time for (rather literal) world building, my imagination filled in a whole lot of stuff and I'm cool with that. No need for lengthy exposition.

This show is such a joy. I love that I've got no idea what to expect next week. Comedy? Action? Suspense? Horror? New planet, new adventure. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I was just coming on here to say that exact thing. Last scene with Pike and I felt like I sat through a decent quality Trek movie, they packed a lot in there.

First twenty minutes or so I was like, okay got the gist of this one. Help a shuttle, turns out the people they saved seem a bit dodge, captain sleeps with their leader, transporter shenanigans, find yer man, learn a lesson etc.

But Jesus did that take a dark turn! Got very heavy and with a bit of a massive slap to the face of a conclusion, and done perfectly. Excellent, excellent stuff. Good Trek basic plotline of a decent episode, a confounding moral or philosophical question, and a dark, but somewhat optimistic ending. And just the right mix of the darkness of a lot of the new Trek. A bit like DS9 was a good bit darker than TNG, but still had the right essence of the precursor that it worked.

Honestly, this is the show I had hoped Discovery might have been. Could you imagine if they had managed to launch this five years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Weakest episode so far, I would say, but when I say weakest it had a lot to live up to and was still brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed

Amazing that SNW can tell a whole story with depth and intrigue in just one episode and Disco can barely do it over a whole season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was still solid, but also the weakest yet. The twist of the boy's fate was obvious from the start, with the only real surprise being that there was no neat saccharine ending.

Ms

I disagree in calling that a weak episode. It had most of what you want in a Star Trek episode. It had the moral Dilemma. It had Pike trying to be the Hero but not being able to and it had Dr.M'Benga coming close to getting a cure for his daughter but unable too.

It also had a way out for Pike to change his course in life but that would mean him leaving the life in loves and potentially mean the deaths of the cadets in the accident ten years from now.

What I do not get is since Pike knows how his life changes and what happens to the cadets can he not just make sure that does not happen? Maybe it's one of many tests do and he does not have an exact date. Who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Although I don't like the M'benga/kid plot overall, I did like the way it was handled in this one. There was a forlorn, lost cause undertone to it, ending with a hint of hope but no simple answer.

Ms

Honestly, this is the show I had hoped Discovery might have been. Could you imagine if they had managed to launch this five years ago!

That would have been great. Sometimes do you must stumble and fall before picking yourself up again and I guess that is what Star Trek has done for a while

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Now, my one major fear, considering the way this society runs, and the allusion to the "elders (or whatever)" saying they needed to hook up kids to a computer to regulate society. Don't do another Borg thing, there's more than enough without that chain to be yanked again.

One unintended benefit of the return to enclosed episodes is that we're not going to see some ham fisted attempt to link everything together into some big cobweb.

Haven't seen the sneak peek of next weeks episode so yet!

Sadly, Youtube's recommendations system has already spoiled that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I liked this one. I’d say it’s ranked lowest out of the 6 so far but only cause the others were so good.

Some Thoughts…

• Pike getting some sexy time with an alien is good. He really is a throwback Captain.

• Not much for the crew to do on this one. Very centred on the Captain and M’Benga.

• I want to see his daughter cured by the end of the season, if not the next. I fear that she won’t be cured though.

• It felt like a TNG storyline but with a cruel ending that didn’t save the child. I think that helped the episode.

A small detail I noted, at the end he's staring out a window at what appears to be a pulsar, presumably the one where it all started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed it. You could see the ending coming a mile off (I've seen far, far, far too much sci fi) lol.

But it was still very interesting, music was brilliant, lore was good, ending decent. The whole thing worked.

Six out of six so far for me!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was so obvious from the get-go but I thought they explored the story well and did a good job trying it into Pike in two ways. First how he looks at people and accepting their fate.. the overarching plot... and second his values and how he reacted to what had happened in the end.

lol, totally sus early on when she objected to an investigation combined with the episode not-showing of the crew of the other ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Echoes of some Babylon 5 technology, where we saw a lot of instances of technology merged with a sentient being.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Spoiler based on the above: -

So that is the New Non Binary character?

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ To Introduce Nonbinary Character Played By Jesse James Keitel ~ Link

Honestly didn't know that, I was talking about the

Tholian web

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

One of the most socially relevant Trek episodes in decades. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did they say how long each kid is hooked up for?

I was thinking it strange that for such an advanced race, their ships seemed pretty crap.

Oh and I had double dose of Lindy Booth tonight (not a bad thing), watching the new episode of The Flash before this.

They were noted to be fairly isolationist several times, so not much need for ships if you don't want to travel anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

because we hook kids up to computers which drains them to death?

Maybe it works better as an analogy in the US with their habit of standing idly by while kids are killed.

I think it is more a mirror to the fact that our society uses a lot of goods that are made with child slave labour.

• Advertisement

No, because we hook them up to factories and mines in China, India and Africa to make our fancy goods. We know it's happening but we turn the other way.

Advertisement