Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's not true to say that there's no Park n' Ride in Galway. There is an excellent one in Oranmore Train Station.

Obviously though there should be far more, but it's almost as if Bus Park n' Ride is banned in this country. Our friends up North are far more progressive in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Council workers hanging around Woodquay all day long, waiting for car owners to return and move their cars so they could pedestrianise it. All day long! They should just tow them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you read the document? It acknowledges that you say, and points out that would take years. What is planned can be done in months, using the existing land .

Someone asked re the Briarhill bus stop move. I've been in Briarhill BP about 50% for the last 3 months, so have been observing up close and personal. I can see why it's suggested: it's hard for inbound buses to pick up at the current stop and move to the RHS lane, and the outbound stop obscures the view for people leaving Briarhill junction. And it suits me: unless traffic is very heavy or light, I always go to close to where the planned crossing is to cross anyways. But it adds quite a bit more of a walk for people going to Briarhill School or for residents from around there (there are quite a few of both).

Bus lanes right to / through junctions are lovely if there's space. But in the interim, bus lanes what get buses past long queues of cars are a very good first start.

I'm under no illusion that it would take longer.

However what is proposed will be built, at some stage, and then left for a decade or more before any further action is done, at which point they'll argue, again that to do it right would take too long, so they'll do a stop gap measure again and around we go.

Sometimes its better to do the harder solution if its the better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭cgcsb

3 or 4 more of those corridors and some actual cycle network Galways traffic problem would be greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

Does seem a bit ridiculous, like what is the hold up almost 20 years after they committed to it?

They've been "identifying sites" for the last few years.

It's come up a few times over the last year in council meetings so I'm honestly hoping we're going to hear something concrete in the next few months.

Either way, it will still be years before any actual infrastructure comes online.

Personally I think they could build 7 of these on the major routes into the city

• R336 around Barna
    • N59 before Dangan
    • N84 before Ballinafoyle
    • N83 before Claregalway
    • R339 before Cregmore
    • R446, before Oranmore from the west
    • N67 before Oranmore to the south

For them to work effectively they would need to be done to encourage usage, with high frequency, reliable journey times and motivation to avoid driving into the city.

To get that they would need buses serving every 10 mins from 6am to midnight, with bus lanes/bus priority at junctions and workplace parking levies (the levies are a proposal already under review) along with vastly increased parking charges with no "all day" or weekly/monthly rates, only hourly.

No doubt they'll do all this eventually but I'm betting we'll all be dead and buried a long time before the city gets to this level of infrastructure.

What could possibly speed things up is if the ring road gets killed in the courts. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Population growth for city alone is projected to be 115k by 2031. That increase alone will cause massive transport issues. We ain't see nothing yet

This here is exactly why I’ve left. Galway needs a population cap for the transport infrastructure it has, and that extends into Connemara. Only a certain type of person would be able to move in (types that don’t require their own transport), and those who do require their own would be on a register, their numbers capped & only allowed move in on a “one in, one out” basis.

Draconian, but it would be the only way to avoid the Dublin-Airport-Security-on-roads situation I fear is looming. I predict that in the years to come, someone will die in the back of an ambulance stuck trying to traverse Galway City, and the story of this will put the problems in stark contrast. We will fail them, as 2A fails schoolchildren in the US.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness, I'd say by the time you actually "leave" the ring road will probably have been built.

Reported. I live in Athlone now. I’ve had enough. The scum can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I hope you reported yourself for trying to equate traffic jams and children being murdered because of some fantasy scenario you've invented. New low for the thread. Shocking stuff

I live in Athlone now

Same, lovely spot, needs more bus routes though and cycling infrastructure.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the numbers cycling in spite of the lack of safe infrastructure in Athlone. Have yet to see any kids cycling outside of housing estates though, a real shame as it results in parents driving kids everywhere

How's Baile Atha Luain for overpopulation these days?

It sneers at me, spits in my eyes and breaks my nose daily, because it’s a human storage unit, not a home. My home is Galway, but there is no room for me. Everywhere else on this island is nothing but a waiting room for the day I leave to find my home in another country, like the thousands before me over the centuries. I am scum to the Power because of how I want to live, and what I want to see built

I’m going further, abroad, when I scrape enough together. If I come back it will be with enough resources to utterly destroy (as you would see it) both Galway & whatever legal delays are thrown in our way.

So, realistically, never.

I am a homeless Galwegian. So it will remain until the Power are kicked back into occupying trees to stop hated building works.

I will die with utter hate for those who took my home from me for their politics. And my children will carry it forward.

Quite ironic that you're homeless but "the power" (wtf) live in your head rent free.

I really hope you're just trolling but on the off chance you aren't please seek some professional counseling. Your posts are coming off as unhinged.

• Advertisement

Reported. For the simple reason that it has nothing to do with Galway traffic. My determination to utterly destroy (in metaphoric terms, violence is for the protesters to prove their lack of worth with) the objection cartel/racket/system/whatever that has destroyed Galway should I ever acquire the means to, and the statement of long term effects of banishing a “certain type” from Galway as a result of inaction is relevant. Inaction drives people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Park and ride is over hyped. Only a miniscule % of commuters on any PT network got on at a park and ride location, it consumes massive space and ultimately just moves the problem. Once you are in your car you are driving, there is no incentive to change unless there is no parking option at or near the other end of your journey.

Post edited by cgcsb on

You've hit the nail on the head, incentive to change.

That incentive can be the carrot or the stick, different ones work for different people. Examples

• if bus lanes exist, PT would be the quicker option
    • free parking at P&R
    • Increased parking charges in the city + no day/weekly/monthly rates
    • No congestion driving = less stress
    • Cleaner air
    • Workplace parking levies
    • Removal of on-street parking
    • Lower fuel + maintenance costs
    • For park & Stride, increased exercise & health gains
    • etc etc

Most of the above applies for most other options too walking/cycling/PT within the city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It might help if factories were encouraged to engage with bus operators in the same way secondary schools do. How many parents would take a bus to work if it cost as much as the school bus for their kids and picked them up and dropped them off in a similar fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There used to be a dedicated bus for Hewlett Packard into Eyre Square (and further?) in the morning & evenings. It wasn't on a dedicated bus route so didn't need to make out of the way turns or make any stops. Often, it would take the 'quickest' route to Eyre Square if Tuam road was overly busy etc. It was a very reliable service.

When the 405 changed the finish point to the HP office, the bus was discontinued and the 405 route became extremely unreliable, with 45+ mins waits for a bus being very frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya I agree - focus should really be on the bus services from the towns around the City and provide at least a service every 15min from them from 07h00 -> 19h00 Bearna, Moycullen, Claregalway, Oranmore.

Any case study's done on the P&R in NUIG by its academia I wonder? Looks to me to be underutilized but I am only passing through it the odd time during the college term. They still have too much car parking around the main campus area's. The Quadrangle provides parking around on all sides of it. Mad really when ya think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It may have been dedicated back in the 1980s, but wasn't by 2007: was used by people working in Boston and various other companies in the wider estate.

The fare was the same as any other city bus, and I'm pretty sure that there was an official route, but many drivers didn't know or didn't care. The issue with the magical mystery tour approach is that you never actually knew if the bus would go where you wanted to go. And the best things done for reliability were widening Wellpark, and adding bus lanes in Forster St and Bóthar big-hill (the one no one knows the name of, between Prospect Hill and the coach station.

Factories running bus services sound good, but is fraught with issues - especially getting enough people regularly going to the same place at the same time. Unless companies target their hiring, this is difficult. And potentially it leaves people working for smaller companies in the area without a service

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It was still in use around 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I had these clips for a few weeks but had forgotten about them but for some reason the recent events (Galway and Louth - the incidents involving trucks and pedestrians) reminded me.

Had to travel to Briar hill a couple of times in the not too distant past and was pretty amazed by what I saw traffic wise. I always wondered why I was hearing about traffic on that road to 'Bóthar Na dTreabh' on the morning radio but now I know. I would not fancy sitting in that every day! https://streamable.com/6h6uaf

Also on that road that goes to Briar hill there was a huge amount of traffic I guess for the IDA Park. What was strange (or maybe not if you travel there every day) was the automatic assumption that cars move to the middle of the road to allow other car 'undertake', often using the footpath too. I didn't do this as I wasn't comfortable driving on what looks like a cycle lane and definitely not the footpath but I was let know by a few motorists that I was in the way! What also struck me also was the cyclist felt it was safer to cycle against oncoming traffic rather than follow normal rules of the road. https://streamable.com/lwt8za

I added the music cause to me it seemed appropriate!😕

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement