Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-binary person hospitalised following vicious attack in Dublin City

• 09-06-2022 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Scumbags everywhere, but "According to Gay Community News which first reported on the incident, the attack took place after one of the survivor's friends wrapped a Pride flag around them." - I'm trying to understand, and I know it's pride month, how the attackers knew that they were non binary? Any chance it was just some scumbags having a go at innocents in general? Plenty of people being attacked by assholes, but not always related to sexuality.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't think the attackers particularly cared which of the LGBTQIA2SNBPKQA++ letters the victim fell under, or what pronouns they preferred...

the bigger question is who goes walking around the city with a baseball bat and knives,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did the hospital have a specific non binary ward to deal with the patient, I'd have doubts the victim would have wanted to go in to a ward that dealt simply with males or females? If not whoy not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus Christ shut up for fcking once. Innocent person gets beaten near to death and your response is the same sh1t joke your like always wheel out. Cop yourself on and have some respect for yourself even if you can't extend it to anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

I don't know if you're interpreting the headline wrongly or if I'm misunderstanding your OP, but I don't think they're saying the attackers attacked the person because they identify as non binary. The article is suggesting they were attacked after they wrapped a pride flag around their shoulders. The only reason non binary is mentioned at all is because normally these headlines would say "male attacked" or "female attacked" and this person wants neither pronoun to apply to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Am I correct in saying the non-binary person wrapped a pride flag around the accused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wards n Ireland aren't segregated into male/female. They are Unisex. No idea what you are trying to say, but it's probably not as clever as you think.

Hospitals have dealing with people who are genetically non binary for a long time. There is not issue with choosing a ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s funny that the attackers managed to flee the scene, presumably with their baseball bat? I mean that’s the noteworthy piece in the article (which is sparse enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Article is sparse in detail. The genders of the victim and the attackers is mentioned but no detail in the race of the attackers.

What kind of lunatics are out there. Walking around armed, it's crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Is binary for the snow flakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's something off about that story. Person stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat in Dublin City Centre (why were they carrying a baseball bat btw?), On Dame Street at 7pm and it took the media 6 days to find out about it?

I will imagine this story will just disappear.

• Advertisement

A "vicious assault" with a baseball bat and multiple stabbings on dame st at 7pm on a thursday? Very unusual to not see other news outlets leading with that story.

Thank god for Gay Community News.

*Edit..pipped to the post by previous poster*

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Attacking another person like that is the act of a scumbag, attacking a person because of their sexuality is disgusting. The article mentions the homophobic attacks in sligo where two gay men were lured to their deaths and slaughtered by a Muslim extremist immigrant. They left out the Muslim extremist immigrant part.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

a nonsense headline like "Non binary person attacked.... "

I instantly lose sympathy , what does "non binary" even mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Yes, Islam is a sacred cow of the left, so is LGBTQ, so they get themselves in a real pickle when something like this happens.

Usually they ignore it or find a way to blame the mythical "far right" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"Genetically non-binary" - you mean a hermaphrodite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gay person gets the shít knocked out of him in broad daylight and boards posters are arguing over where and who he sleeps beside in the hospital due to his gender...

Boards.ie never change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No it is someone who does not identify as male of Female but who might feel male one day and then another day feel more Female then somedays not feel as either.

So if they were Amab they still have all them bits or if they were afab they still have all their's.

They are complex individuals.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

But their genetics dont change depending on their feelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Feels like more people on this thread would be afraid to see a non-binary person walking towards them than a guy with a baseball bat and a knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well maybe their genetics are different. There some people even born with both sets of organs.

Not all minds are the same either. It could be wired differently. There is still so much we need to understand about the mind.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I think its more that people are rightfully skeptical about a news story that is pretty much a copy and paste from the Gay Community News which has very little detail in it.

I would have expected an assault with a baseball bat and someone being stabbed multiple times on one of the busiest streets in the capital, in broad daylight, would receive a little more coverage, or at least have some video clips floating about.

Something doesn't add up.

Obviously if it turns out to be true, it is a terrible and awful incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Posting absolute nonsense at 3:14am? Might want to dial back on the booze.

So what, in your mind, is the difference between non-binary and genetically non-binary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Most people dont even know what Binary or non binary means ?

I would have assumed that non-binary would have meant that they believe their gender (not their genetics or their sex) is something outside the realms of just male or female

From what I know, it's that they view gender the same way as sexual orientation; that it's not an either/or but rather a scale. Most people are on either end of the scale, some might be leaning more towards the middle (ie. effeminate men, tomboy-ish women), whereas non-binary people feel more in the middle. That regardless of their genetics, they neither identify as male or female (it's easy for people to say "Well what does it mean to identify as a man, I don't feel like a man I just am one" or whatever, but that's the thing, we don't really notice how it feels when our gender matches our body because that's just what it is, whereas you're more likely to know when something doesn't feel right). So it's the idea that the "binary" is you're on one side or the other, whereas they're non-binary because they don't identify as either. Genderfluid would be that sometimes you feel more on one side of the scale, sometimes more on the other.

Likewise sexuality, most people are heterosexual or homosexual, but some people are bisexual because they're more in the middle of the scale. Some people might be predominantly straight but would also have no issue with being with someone of the same sex either.

I'm open to correction of course from those who experience such things, as the above is just my own understanding from reading and listening to people rather than sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting "BUT WHAT ARE THEIR CHROMOSOMES???!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

very odd a couple would be walking around with a baseball bat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

The problem I have with all this stuff, is that I have no idea what they mean when they say they 'feel' male or the 'feel' female. I don't know what it means to feel male or female. It's like saying I feel tall, or I feel short, or I feel blonde, I feel brunette. I don't have these feelings.. I walk down the street and feel human, or I feel alive.. But to be male in my head or female in my head doesn't make sense to me.

Being gay totally makes sense to me. I know exactly what it's like to be attracted to one single sex. So if a guy tells me he only fancies guys, that makes total sense to me because in my head a similar chemical reaction or feeling is felt with women.

I suppose if someone close to me actually goes through this sort of thing I will learn more at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would have thought most people would know what binary means from maths / it's use in computing? On/off, black/white etc.

If you want to extend that to gender, then male/female would be binary options. So 'non-binary' would be neither of those.

*a caveat, I'm not of the screaming 'THERE ARE A BILLION GENDERS!' persuasion, just the above seems obvious enough.

There are seemingly infinite amounts of genders you can identify as so that's absolutely impossible to be binary. If someone wants to identify as whatever they want, it's up to them. That's their personal choice

With sexuality, I find it hard to understand how any sexual attraction can't be quite easily summed up as straight (only interested in people of the opposite sex), gay (only interested in people of the same sex) or bi (attracted to people of either sex, no matter how slight). There are people who wish to reject those terms and invent other terminology for themselves (queer, gender-queer, etc) and that's their prerogative. That's their choice

With sex it is binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Scumbags attacking people is awful regardless of their sexuality or what they identify as.

I doubt these skangers would only target LGBTQ people so I doubt this was necessarily an attack based in prejudice, but that doesn't take away from the horrific nature of the incident.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Scumbags in Dublin and other towns/cities are attacking anyone , it doesn't matter who you are . law and order has broken down as theres no punishments in the courts anymore.

Look at that delivery driver in the East wall , ended up killing someone as he fought to save his bike to do his job, he and his colleagues have been attacked/robbed so often and now hes in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

D2 and D1 are very rough.

I was out with a gang of lads few years ago. One of them was black (friend of a friend, I didn't really know him). A group of lads came up to him on George's Street, one of them punched him in the face and walked on - never even spoke.

Last year I saw a group of kids fighting with a homeless guy on Grafton street. He punched one of the kids. I had to get the guards involved cause I was worried they were going to swarm him with kicks and punches.

As mentioned on another thread, I witnessed a 20+ person gang fight (guys and girls) on Nth O'Connell St last summer. Didn't take my phone out to record it, just walked clear. As dramatic as the kick-punch fight on Sth William St video which was doing the rounds at the time.

• Advertisement

I am open to correction but I'm pretty sure that people with various intersex conditions can be correctly identified as genetic males or females

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Genetically non-binary?? How does that work??

Link has now been pulled.

I don't care for this gender nonsense in the thread (even though I do think it's nonsense)

The important issues here are if this incident even happened? If it was fabricated then the Gay Community News and possibly the examiner need to be sanctioned for inciting hatred.

This story seems absurd. They wrapped an alphabet pride flag around somebody who just happened to be off to Baseball training....in Ireland. The baseball enthuast beat the person up and stabbed the person too. Because he is a knife enthusiast, along with baseball.

And all of this happened in daylight, on one of the busiest roads in the city and it took 6 days for any mention in the media.

It's fabricated and it's there to cause division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think the lesson here is believe what you want but don’t attempt force it on others?

We’re seeing the a lot of natural laws turned on their head; nowadays like a trend as if the last bastion of edgy even the greatest edge lords of our times chose to avoid and now all this whackiness is being exploited as if the last stone left unturned. It hasn’t - it’s been done; god knows but even as I trotted down the broadway in my stilletoes and faux mink fur not once did I actually believe I was a woman. And I certainly didn’t expect anyone to believe I was either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Even Gay Community News seem to have removed link. Hot Press are the only ones with the story still up.

this one even has a disclaimer that a user added the story.

All signs pointing towards our own Jussie Smolette.

Again, may be true. Seems unlikely.

Yes, there is a stink of Jussie Smollett around this. I would like to know how far this went. Was it reported to the Garda? Smollett did time for what he did. You'd never get that in Ireland but somebody somewhere made up a story to incite division and hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

To be honest I'd be fine with people playing up the LGBTQ angle if it meant that something would actually get done. Safer streets are better for everyone.

It's crazy when you think that someone may have been stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat in a busy part of Dublin City Center in broad daylight and there's almost no media coverage and doesn't seem to be any appeal from the Gardaí for information.

That's quite a serious incident regardless of the motivations behind it.

Edit: Looks like The Examiner has pulled the article so maybe we'll never know what happened here.

I think that the chances of this being reported to the police are slim to non-existent going by the looks of it.

I'd say more than likely this was a member of the community looking for attention on Instagram, getting a bit of traction from overzealous idiots just dying to play the victim and then being picked up by the impartial Gay Community News.

But if facts emerge that this was genuine, I'll be the among the first to voice my disgust.

I disagree entirely. I am not ok with anyone falsely playing the victim. It's such an insult to actual victims and does damage by creating even more doubt to genuine cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say it's true.

Go wrap yourself in a pride flag and walk around D1 or D2. You won't be long attracting the attention of the knuckle draggers who inhabit that area.

That said, it's strange that it wasn't picked up straight away by any of the mainstream media. They still aren't really giving it much attention.

And even more strangely, gcn.ie is returning a 404 message saying the story can't be found. And hotpress.com is also returning a 404 message. I'm starting to reconsider my statement above where I said "I'd say it's true".

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I don't mean people falsely playing the victim. Obviously if the story is made up then that's seriously wrong. I meant more in terms of even if the attack wasn't motivated by hate I would have no problem with the media pushing outrage over the hate aspect if it meant something would actually be done to keep the streets safe.

Of course, in reality, if someone is attacking people in Dublin city center with a baseball bat and a knife then it really shouldn't be the identity of the victim that determines how willing we are to take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fairly certain the honest to goodness gay lads don’t want to be tarnished with that. There’s a divide where folk within the ever broader “community” can devolve into diva territory; and beyond into quite divisive which are by their very nature overbearingly insufferable. Any good fella will tell you the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sex, as in genetic sex, is not binary. It's rare, but hospitals of all places would be familiar. The idea that hospitals have binary sex gender wards is pretty dumb.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement