Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-binary person hospitalised following vicious attack in Dublin City

Options
  • 09-06-2022 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Scumbags everywhere, but "According to Gay Community News which first reported on the incident, the attack took place after one of the survivor's friends wrapped a Pride flag around them." - I'm trying to understand, and I know it's pride month, how the attackers knew that they were non binary? Any chance it was just some scumbags having a go at innocents in general? Plenty of people being attacked by assholes, but not always related to sexuality.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't think the attackers particularly cared which of the LGBTQIA2SNBPKQA++ letters the victim fell under, or what pronouns they preferred...

the bigger question is who goes walking around the city with a baseball bat and knives,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did the hospital have a specific non binary ward to deal with the patient, I'd have doubts the victim would have wanted to go in to a ward that dealt simply with males or females? If not whoy not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus Christ shut up for fcking once. Innocent person gets beaten near to death and your response is the same sh1t joke your like always wheel out. Cop yourself on and have some respect for yourself even if you can't extend it to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I don't know if you're interpreting the headline wrongly or if I'm misunderstanding your OP, but I don't think they're saying the attackers attacked the person because they identify as non binary. The article is suggesting they were attacked after they wrapped a pride flag around their shoulders. The only reason non binary is mentioned at all is because normally these headlines would say "male attacked" or "female attacked" and this person wants neither pronoun to apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Am I correct in saying the non-binary person wrapped a pride flag around the accused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wards n Ireland aren't segregated into male/female. They are Unisex. No idea what you are trying to say, but it's probably not as clever as you think.

Hospitals have dealing with people who are genetically non binary for a long time. There is not issue with choosing a ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s funny that the attackers managed to flee the scene, presumably with their baseball bat? I mean that’s the noteworthy piece in the article (which is sparse enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Article is sparse in detail. The genders of the victim and the attackers is mentioned but no detail in the race of the attackers.

What kind of lunatics are out there. Walking around armed, it's crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Is binary for the snow flakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's something off about that story. Person stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat in Dublin City Centre (why were they carrying a baseball bat btw?), On Dame Street at 7pm and it took the media 6 days to find out about it?

I will imagine this story will just disappear.

• Advertisement

A "vicious assault" with a baseball bat and multiple stabbings on dame st at 7pm on a thursday? Very unusual to not see other news outlets leading with that story.

Thank god for Gay Community News.

*Edit..pipped to the post by previous poster*

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Attacking another person like that is the act of a scumbag, attacking a person because of their sexuality is disgusting. The article mentions the homophobic attacks in sligo where two gay men were lured to their deaths and slaughtered by a Muslim extremist immigrant. They left out the Muslim extremist immigrant part.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

a nonsense headline like "Non binary person attacked.... "

I instantly lose sympathy , what does "non binary" even mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Yes, Islam is a sacred cow of the left, so is LGBTQ, so they get themselves in a real pickle when something like this happens.

Usually they ignore it or find a way to blame the mythical "far right" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"Genetically non-binary" - you mean a hermaphrodite?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gay person gets the shít knocked out of him in broad daylight and boards posters are arguing over where and who he sleeps beside in the hospital due to his gender...

Boards.ie never change

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No it is someone who does not identify as male of Female but who might feel male one day and then another day feel more Female then somedays not feel as either.

So if they were Amab they still have all them bits or if they were afab they still have all their's.

They are complex individuals.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

But their genetics dont change depending on their feelings?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Feels like more people on this thread would be afraid to see a non-binary person walking towards them than a guy with a baseball bat and a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well maybe their genetics are different. There some people even born with both sets of organs.

Not all minds are the same either. It could be wired differently. There is still so much we need to understand about the mind.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I think its more that people are rightfully skeptical about a news story that is pretty much a copy and paste from the Gay Community News which has very little detail in it.

I would have expected an assault with a baseball bat and someone being stabbed multiple times on one of the busiest streets in the capital, in broad daylight, would receive a little more coverage, or at least have some video clips floating about.

Something doesn't add up.

Obviously if it turns out to be true, it is a terrible and awful incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Posting absolute nonsense at 3:14am? Might want to dial back on the booze.

So what, in your mind, is the difference between non-binary and genetically non-binary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Most people dont even know what Binary or non binary means ?

I would have assumed that non-binary would have meant that they believe their gender (not their genetics or their sex) is something outside the realms of just male or female

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I know, it's that they view gender the same way as sexual orientation; that it's not an either/or but rather a scale. Most people are on either end of the scale, some might be leaning more towards the middle (ie. effeminate men, tomboy-ish women), whereas non-binary people feel more in the middle. That regardless of their genetics, they neither identify as male or female (it's easy for people to say "Well what does it mean to identify as a man, I don't feel like a man I just am one" or whatever, but that's the thing, we don't really notice how it feels when our gender matches our body because that's just what it is, whereas you're more likely to know when something doesn't feel right). So it's the idea that the "binary" is you're on one side or the other, whereas they're non-binary because they don't identify as either. Genderfluid would be that sometimes you feel more on one side of the scale, sometimes more on the other.

Likewise sexuality, most people are heterosexual or homosexual, but some people are bisexual because they're more in the middle of the scale. Some people might be predominantly straight but would also have no issue with being with someone of the same sex either.

I'm open to correction of course from those who experience such things, as the above is just my own understanding from reading and listening to people rather than sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting "BUT WHAT ARE THEIR CHROMOSOMES???!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

very odd a couple would be walking around with a baseball bat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

The problem I have with all this stuff, is that I have no idea what they mean when they say they 'feel' male or the 'feel' female. I don't know what it means to feel male or female. It's like saying I feel tall, or I feel short, or I feel blonde, I feel brunette. I don't have these feelings.. I walk down the street and feel human, or I feel alive.. But to be male in my head or female in my head doesn't make sense to me.

Being gay totally makes sense to me. I know exactly what it's like to be attracted to one single sex. So if a guy tells me he only fancies guys, that makes total sense to me because in my head a similar chemical reaction or feeling is felt with women.

I suppose if someone close to me actually goes through this sort of thing I will learn more at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would have thought most people would know what binary means from maths / it's use in computing? On/off, black/white etc.

If you want to extend that to gender, then male/female would be binary options. So 'non-binary' would be neither of those.

*a caveat, I'm not of the screaming 'THERE ARE A BILLION GENDERS!' persuasion, just the above seems obvious enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement