Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why would they have to hide it?

A large van on the ferry or through the chunnel, a decent sized boat from mainland Europe.

My post clearly asked "I wonder how many times they would have to raise the price"

Criminals would of course be interested in it, as it is already profitable. Fake vodka etc was already being sold here without mup, it wouldn't be hard at all for them to do that on a slightly bigger scale (I have no idea how big a scale that operation was) if they wanted to. They can smuggle JCB's cars, people etc.. I doubt a few cases of beer (legally) from anywhere in Europe would make life too difficult for them. You seem to be imagining that they would be filling a ferry with it. They would only need to bring as much per trip as was profitable for them. Criminals aren't always about the massive money.

If MUP keeps rising in Scotland because it is ineffective, then people will sell it for profit when they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

Go up the north for big savings. Back to that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Criminals would need to hide it because its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭techman1

"The figues may also rise when they introduce clubs and late bars being able to serve until 6:30am."

The government has been very quite on this proposal about allowing clubs to open late into night. It was probably just a kite flying exercise by them to placate the night club owners and young revellers when nightclubs were closed for nearly 2 years during the Covid, there .

I bet the Alcohol Awareness groups will also be doing all they can to stop this aswell , all the usual killjoys will be coming out of the wood work to make sure this gets blocked or stalled.

Insurance and Compo culture have almost killed off the nightclub industry in Ireland as it is

No it's not, to bring in, and no they wouldn't.

• Advertisement

You were on about criminals taking a risk but now you seem to think it's perfectly legal for anybody to bring in alcohol and sell it to whoever they want.

Will you make up your mind.

No I wasn't. You were the only person that said it would be illegal, and first referred to criminals.

You seem incapable of reading correctly. I'll help. Don't read what I referred to as an example of something that happened in the past. Try reading past that.

Suggest you read post #7802, I'll help, this is what YOU said:

"I wonder how many times they could expect to raise the price before it leads to criminals seeing profits worth the risk of importing."

You are the first one to mention criminals taking risks importing alcohol to make profit, not me.

Ok, mentioned criminals first (i edited the above post a few times, so didn't notice), that was asking a question.

It wouldn't be illegal to bring it in, nor would they have to hide it, as mentioned a few posts up.

In any case, with the inflation of everything, MUP seems kind of moot at the minute. It changes almost everything in relation to how it is viewed.

For personal use its fine to bring in alcohol up to a certain level.

But bringing it in with the intention of selling it for profit, that would be illegal. It is clearly stated on the revenue website.

Once again, I'll help.

Rules for duty-paid alcohol and tobacco products

If you want to bring in alcohol and tobacco products (up to the indicative limits below) without paying extra duty or tax:

• you must be 17 or older
    • you must keep receipts (to prove you have already paid duty and tax)
    • you must transport and accompany the goods yourself
    • and
    • the goods must be acquired by you for your own personal use and you cannot intend to sell them.

• Advertisement

All of that, I am aware of.

They wouldn't have to hide it. Bringing it in is not illegal.

Its in black and white on the revenue website.

-Personal use - fine

-Intending to resell - illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I haven't read the whole thread so if I'm repeating anyone, I'm sorry.

Do you think the MUP will encourage a resurgence in home stills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Dont know about stills but I started homebrewing beer because of MUP.

buy my sprits up north

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are wrong about importing for resale.

It is illegal unless all duties and taxes are paid.

As for inflation rendering MUP moot, I don't agree.

Last year you could buy a case of cans for €20-24, now it's €42.

That far outstrips inflation.

Prices in pubs have gone which bites into the differential a bit.

But I agree supermarket drink has gone up a lot more than inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I'm moving to Co Mayo from the UK and alcohol over here is noticeably cheaper. Whilst we're not huge drinkers we won't have a big disposable income either so we'll be home brewing too. I'm looking forward to it too. I love cooking, preserving etc so it's really an extension of that.

Yes and they wouldn't have to hide it

How am I wrong? Where or when did I say it is fine to import it to resell? I'll have to correct it.... 🙄 (don't go looking, you won't find it anywhere, as i didn't say it).

I am not for MUP, I am 100% against it, but the case of cans (excluding the cheapest small cans) were only that price in sales. What I meant about it being moot, was that nobody is really going to talk about it now coming into summer and going to festivals etc. when it would be most noticed, because of inflation. I am not saying that the price isn't different, I am well aware how high it has become, and we can thank the worst government in my living memory for implementing it. I don't care that 'all parties agreed' and the worst MoJ trying to get rid of 'antiquated alcohol laws' or words to that effect so the family pub can open late when the lease is up. This time last year a case of beer wasn't on sale.

My local off licence is currently charging €11 for 4 cans of Guinness. Their massive profits already built into MUP and they decide to raise them higher.

Here you are again talking about criminals bringing in alcohol for profit, in brackets you say they can do it (legally)

It's only a few posts since you were claiming it was me who mentioned criminals into the discussion yet its you who keeps talking about criminals bringing it in for profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Glad we cleared that up, now we are all agreed that it is illegal to import drink for resale without paying duties and taxes.

Now that people are being hit with inflation in so many other areas of expenditure it would help if they were not being gouged by MUP.

I blame all the parties who supported MUP legislation.

You should consider leaving the high priced cans to your local off licence. Their representative body NOFFLA lobbied for MUP.

That post is from before then, it is the post I was referring to, and it is explaining to you again that you don't read posts properly.

You can't even read your own posts.

You said I was first to mention criminals then you later admitted it was you who mentioned it first.

You made reference to it being legal for criminals to bring in alcohol for profit then went around in circles claiming you you never said that.

Do keep going, it's funny watching you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭techman1

Another narrative before MUP came in was that the North would shortly be doing the same, well that was just false and is completely off the cards now with no government in Stormount and the Unionists implacably opposed to doing anything in tandem with the Republic and differential to Westminster even if the Scots have it

So this report from Scotland tells us that MUP has had no effect on alcoholics, and that some are sacrificing food and fuel in order to buy booze.

As someone who thinks that MUP is a good idea (not a great idea) I'm not one bit surprised.

MUP should be looked at in the long term, the higher base price should prevent people becoming alcoholics in the first place.

Price increases helped bring down smoking rates in the past, I can see how the same could work for alcohol.

And the report also mentions that there was no obvious evidence of a move towards illicit substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

It wasn't price increases that reduced smoking rates. It was the marginalizing of it and removal of sponsorship. Price increases alone did nothing for years

I don't think that can be stated with any certainty that price increases did not reduce smoking rates.

The advertising ban and the price increases all happened at the same time, and over multiple years.

I've always said that restrictions on alcohol advertising should be brought in, in conjunction with and even instead of MUP

There is no need for so much of it in sports like rugby.

The GAA have not had alcohol sponsors of any of their national competitions for a good few years now and it has done them no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Price increases created a flourishing black market which grows year on year with every increase in price they put on the "official" products, so looking at sales of tobacco as some yard stick to how smoking rates are moving is pointless.

The same will happen with drink in the long run if they keep to this road - I already know at least 3 "man with a van" schemes that are shifting drink down from NI (no money going to ROI coffers) and a load of other lads who are gone mad in to home brew. At some point you reach a level of diminishing returns with goody two shoes ideas like these - do you stop tampering with the price and hope people will accept it or do you continue to increase it to a point where you create a massive black market and get no money at all from it?

The 'man with a van' schemes are apparently running on instagram too. I'm not on it so I have no links, but not surprised, I've seen the weed/drug ones.

That's two reports now saying that MUP doesn't seem to be working, yet we are stuck with it, while the purveyors of alcohol are reaping the extra profits. I also don't think that a report was needed to tell us that it wouldn't work for alcoholics. It's enough of a price increase to annoy everyone else, but they would need to double the price, and then some, for it to have an effect on alcoholics imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

There is no "effecting alcoholics" the only thing it affects is their families. An alco is still going to buy his daily buzz worth for alcohol but for 50% extra in some cases. It's exactly like the time they removed 10 boxes of fags to "stop the children starting" and turned 10 a day smokers in to 20.

It's a redline issue for me come election time anyway, if you don't have some plan to reverse it then don't come near my doorstep

Advertisement