Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What sort of speeds would I need to run this? I have 15mb down on ADSL2+ in house A, I rarely watch broadcast tv anymore and it seems an appealing prospect to dump Sky and use the IPTV? I'm with Eir for broadband but don't know if I'd qualify or they would offer me this.

Alternatively I have two properties and the second will soon be connected to vDSL on 40-50mb and will get offered the AppleTV from EIR, could I just take that box over to the house with the slower connection and hook it up there or is there IP address restrctions etc. presumably to prevent expats taking these to Spain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It only works on their network, as the Eir TV content isn’t streamed on the public internet. It’s not “over the top” IPTV like Netflix, Now etc, but more comparable to a cable service using IP over fibre / VDSL instead of DVB-C over coax. It runs over their private network.

So you can’t plug it into just any Internet connection.

They only offer it on VSDL or full fibre - it’s using multicasting services built into those networks. It’s not available on ADSL lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The main eirTV channels are available anywhere, I regularly watch them on my iPad in Kerry. Your recordings are also available, which is great. However, you can have a max of two authorised devices.

The AppleTV eir TV service only works at your home address. From their FAQ:
    "The eir TV app on Apple TV is registered to your broadband line and will not work in other homes."

They only offer it on VSDL or full fibre - it’s using multicasting services built into those networks. It’s not available on ADSL lines.

Multicasting allows multiple homes watch a single stream, saving capacity. However, it is not used with the newer AppleTV based eirTV service.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Got a call a few weeks ago offering the upgrade to the Apple box. When installed I kept getting weak signal notifications so I rang up to activate the cooling off period and cancel. I was told there is no going back to Eir vision. They suggested an upgrade of my modem but that caused more problems as my broadband feed was reduced I had four different conversations who were all helpful but my broadband speed was extremely slow. I could not connect my laptop without it dropping after a few minutes and my phone could not access WO fi. When I called Eir I was told WiFi was only a complimentary service. Firstly they refused to send an engineer but eventually after a few days haggling they sent one. He spent an hour but advised he could not go near Apple boxes. He did sort the.broadband issue. I then managed to get the Apple boxes working. However there are no Sports. I had Sky sports and BT but now have to use Now. Now looks to be a lot dearer than what I had paid previously. Apply quality is decent but remote is too sensitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I read about remote sensitivity ages ago so did a google for you and found this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/234208/how-to-adjust-the-touch-sensitivity-on-the-new-apple-tvs-remote/

It looks a bit dated but may work. I have that apple remote and don't use it much and I cant recall if I messed with sensitivity but I probably did. I use the voice feature. Why they made it black on the front is beyond me. I watch in the dark!!

swoofer wrote: »
    I read about remote sensitivity ages ago so did a google for you and found this.

https://www.howtogeek.com/234208/how-to-adjust-the-touch-sensitivity-on-the-new-apple-tvs-remote/

It looks a bit dated but may work. I have that apple remote and don't use it much and I cant recall if I messed with sensitivity but I probably did. I use the voice feature. Why they made it black on the front is beyond me. I watch in the dark!!

That article says that you can't enter text using an iPhone or iPad, but you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

So Eir are just upgrading everyone to an Apple TV box?
    Do we have to sign up for anything?
    Increased charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

long_b wrote: »
    So Eir are just upgrading everyone to an Apple TV box?
    Do we have to sign up for anything?
    Increased charges?

No idea - but im holding tough with my evision box for as long as i can plus im out of contract in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

Can the traditional type remote only be bought through Eir or can it be bought for cheaper elsewhere?

https://eir-store.ie/products/eir-tv-alternative-remote-black

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure who makes that remote or if it’s exclusive to eir. However you can get the Siri Remote that comes with the new Apple TV (and has a proper D-pad) for the princely sub of €65 from the Apple Store. At €20 the eir remote is a darn sight cheaper than the Apple one…

First day or so using Apple eir tv with touch remote.

Few q’s

1. Anyone aware of a quick way to mute?

2. Let’s say I am watching a channel for 20 minutes, I then try and rewind and it won’t rewind, any ideas on this?

(I thought when watching for 20 mins without switching channel etc it should let me rewind 20 minutes)

3. Any quick way to show what’s up next on the channel you are watching?

Tried google etc but hard to find the above answers.

2 is down to digital rights management. It's a right PITA, particularly on the RTE channels.

2 is down to digital rights management. It's a right PITA, particularly on the RTE channels.

Hi. But it’s just rewind I’m talking about though.
    Seems I can rewind BUT it seems I have to watch tv, then pause it. And I can start rewinding from this point.

However if I don’t do this (i.e. pause it) I cannot seem to rewind.

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi. But it’s just rewind I’m talking about though.
    Seems I can rewind BUT it seems I have to watch tv, then pause it. And I can start rewinding from this point.

However if I don’t do this (i.e. pause it) I cannot seem to rewind.

Yeah, it appears you have to pause it first. I'm surmising that this allows the digital rights to be checked, to see if rewinding is allowed. To be be fair that is most cases.

I remember getting a demonstration of an IPTV TV platform, about 15 years ago. It was already in use in the US and included DRM and targeted ads. The example we were shown was a pop up ad for a local Pizza Company, that could be shown, for example, just before a sports break. At the time I thought we'd never tolerate being forced to endure ad breaks, or intrusive pop up ads. It appears that we're now headed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Have to say the picture quality on my Eir tv has been deplorable throughout the Euro soccer.

I rebooted everything and even deleted the Eir tv app and reinstalled and still dreadful.

Lucky I still have my old Saorview antenna piped to TVs even though I dread the Irish commentary.

I'm going to call Eir tomorrow and voice my discontent

Hi. I have eir tv for last few weeks. Happy enough with it. The remote is a bit fiddly though.

I have Rte player installed. All good. I go and find a TV show in catch up and press play, all good. I then select 'fast forward x2’ and all good.

the issue is when I try and ‘fast forward x4’ and beyond.

comes up with an error. “A playback error has occurred, resource unavailable”

bloody annoying, can only fast forward at speed x2.

has anyone else experience this?

any magic fixes?

Post edited by obi604 on

Does anybody know if you can get Sky Sports on eir tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Not sure if it is available through eir but if you running off the Apple TV download the now tv app and subscribe using that they have half price offers at the moment and no subscription so just pay for when you want it. https://www.nowtv.com/ie/sports-overview

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not any more, it was available on the legacy eir Vision platform but never on eir TV. Eir gently encourage anyone who wants eir TV and Sky Sports to take Now too.

I can actually get sky sports via a family member who has Virgin. i.e I have their login details

Now my question

Is there any way to watch this via eir on my actual tv? Download sky app etc and login with the Virgin media details

I know I can watch via mobile phone or whatever but is is possible via eir/my tv

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Anybody with Eir TV apple box - what stations can you not record - and does pausing live tv not work with these stations either?

It is mainly the Irish tv channels. Most programs that cannot be recorded are available on the various TV Players. It is rare for pause not to work, but common for fast forward to be restricted on the Irish channels. (For me, the biggest bugbear with recording is that recordings are only available for 180 days.)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Can I ask what people are paying? Being quoted €39.98 for 12 months for basic internet and eirtv.

No issue with that.

However €85.98 for eirTV after 12 months is up. Seems a bit high for pretty basic TV and internet.

Without the eirTV it's €65.98 for internet after 12 months.

I don't mind the extra 20 for tv. Just the €66 for internet seems at least €10 to €15 higher than others. And €25 above companies like Pure I never heard of.

Post edited by lenovo1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I am currently looking at swapping over to Eir and quoted the same as yourself, the guy on the phone told me that if I ring up in the last month of my contract I should get a better deal than the full price they are quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Is Channel 4 in HD on eir tv ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 done123

Yes Channel 4 is on HD on eir tv on apple 4k tv

Advertisement