Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I find having a fire stick comes in handy to pick up where Netflix leaves off on most series 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yes definitely I have one there with an iptv sub but still have the Netflix there just as a back up:) Over here in India Netflix is less than a fiver so no point in canceling it😉

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Episode 4 of this latest season of Stranger Things is one of the best episodes of any tv series

Fantastic

Especially for fans of 80s horrors like myself and most especially for fans of Freddy Krueger also like myself !!!!!

There is a very special cameo too…….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yup, exactly what I thought while watching it, brought me right back to the likes of the Hellraiser series, Nightmare on Elm street etc ... and I noticed the cameo too ;) took me a minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

I didn’t ! Until the name popped up in the end and then I guessed it . I did notice the tombstone nod to Friday 13th though. The drive in to the hospital and the doctor also seemed to be a nod to it . Just a fantastic episode. It to the writers credit that they have pretty much reinvented the show. It felt like they were running out of ideas in seas9! 3 with the grown up kids in ridiculous tiny clothes . It’s been a really good season so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just finished episode one and that was a proper scary ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The latest series of stranger things is the best thing Netflix have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭jj880

Dam. Just starting season 3 here. Need to get caught up asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭jj880

Thats a good shout. Forgot about that series. I've watched the first season. Really great. Must watch 2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Finished season 5 of Somebody Feed Phil, I absolutely love that show; I find it funny, interesting and really uplifting all at once.

It's such a tonic but it's a pity the seasons are so short! Give it a go if you haven't people (in my best Phil voice!).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's not even the best series of Stranger Things Netflix has ever done

Yeah the first couple of episodes of S4 were barely watchable if you ask me, I was close to giving up on the show as completely pointless at this stage. But it stopped the endless character rehash, 'remember me' dialogue `and like an old engine chugged its way into life so that by 6 and 7 it got to be pretty decent. I hope they close it up in the second half of the season though, the novelty has warn off and anymore of the same stuff in more seasons is going to reflect poorly and just be for the sake of $$$.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The best Stranger Things remains the first season IMO; that small, sleeper hit that had a neat, straight-line story with no fat. Nostalgic, but with enough subversions to make itself unique.

Subsequent seasons got increasingly indulgent and baggy, while none of the character arcs have managed to come close to Steve's. Easy to forget that the guy was an outright (high school) villain at the start, one who learned the power of not being a díck. His friendship with Robin and Dustin is a joy now, but it came from growth.

Everyone else from season 2 on have kinda stalled in that pop culture trap of only being what the audience know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

S1 and S2 were great.

S3 will just give you a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Haven’t watched the new season yet, but thought Maya Hawkes Robin was a breakout character last season. But TBF, this was more down to Hawkes than how the character was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bill Burr Presents: Friends Who Kill (2022) In a night of killer comedy, Bill Burr hosts a showcase of his most raucous stand-up comic pals as they riff on everything from COVID to Michael Jackson.

My Spy (2020) To save his career, a demoted CIA operative must cater to the whims of a precocious girl when she uncovers his surveillance mission on her family.

The Lancaster at War (2009) Using firsthand accounts from pilots, this documentary tells the story of a World War II bomber that played a crucial role in defeating the Third Reich.

Long March to Freedom (2011) Survivor interviews and dramatic reenactments chronicle the brutalities endured by Allied POWs during a forced march in Poland in January 1945..

Land of the Minotaur (1976) When tourists to Greece begin disappearing, Irish priest Father Roche investigates a satanic cult that worships a giant Minotaur statue.

50 Liters Life (2019) This documentary examines the severe drought in South Africa and what life looks like when each citizen is allowed just 50 liters of water a day.

A Real Life (2009) (French) A petty thief falls for a respectable teacher and tries to rebuild his life -- until the authorities close in, forcing the lovers to live as runaways.

Spaced Out (1979) Aliens crash-land their cargo ship on Earth and are delighted to explore the nuances of human sexuality in this bawdy, low-budget sci-fi farce.

Action Pack Season 2 (2022) With hearts, smarts and superpowers, the heroic kids of the Action Academy work together to battle the baddies -- and even bring out the good in them!

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bill Burrs last few specials have been fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What I'll say in favour of Dark season 3 is that while I never knew what the hell was going on, it felt cos I was too stupid to follow its complexity, rather than something like (say) Westworld where it always felt like a big bag of indecipherable nonsense. That if I had a flowchart I'd be set lol.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say barely watchable, but the split storylines were a chore at times. I think the Hawkins plot is fantastic, maybe even better than s1, but everytime they cut away from that it sucks a lot of energy out of things, and so far only one of the other storylines seems to have any clear point in relation to the main plot.

Definitely, and as I said in the main ST thread in the TV Forum, I'd be 100% behind a spin-off with Robin & Steve solving supernatural adventures in Hawkins; or not! If they just want to shoot the shít talking about girls they like, I'd probably watch it too. They have a fantastic Bickering Best Friends energy and once again ... it all kinda all came from Steve growing as a person in Season 3. I couldn't see Season 1 Steve handling rejection & Robin's (hitherto secret) orientation maturely at all.

There's an interview the 4 older teens did before S4 started where they're reading and reacting to fan theories, and one of them suggests that Nancy, Steve, Robin, and Eddie end the season adopting a dog and buying a van, and the whole season is a Scooby Doo origin story. So there's your spin off right there 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Will_Ray

I dont think so. They are lagging behind all stories. S1 and S2 are worth watching. Anyway me and my kids are eagerly waiting for the coming episodes. 😃 My kids are very fond of it. In my point of view, Breaking Bad is the best tv show I have ever watched. All the episodes are systematically arranged and the show dragged me with it.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been slow to chime in on the Stranger Things debate but that's probably because the first few episodes of the season have been such a chore to get through. I've been breaking each episode into two 40 minute sittings which may be blasphemous to some.

Just finished episode 4 and it's the first time this season I am genuinely looking forward to the next episode.

Given how slow each season starts I really do think the show would have benefited from being an Anthology series as opposed to what it is right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d say there’s a genuine case for the Hawkins stuff in season 4 being as good as the show has ever been, and that more than justifies watching it. But it’s been a while since I’ve seen a show so burdened with characters, subplots etc… that the writers clearly don’t know what to do with any more. The season’s bloated episode running times are mostly just the result of said burden.

Episode seven completely ignores one of the ongoing subplots and several main characters… and really you don’t miss them.

That said, I think it’s still a very watchable show even with the bloat - compared to shows like The Handmaid’s Tale or others that just drag on and on beyond their natural shelf life, I still think it’s a dynamic and entertaining show that at least finds solid enough narrative reasons to justify extending its main story beyond what could easily have been a one and done limited series. Just a shame they can’t find reasons to justify all the extended cast staying onboard.

What's most frustrating about the amount of characters on Stranger Things is how good they actually are at introducing new ones. Max in S2, Robin in S3, and now Eddie in S4, have all brought something new and fresh to the show, and in S4 all 3 of them are part of the best group/storyline. Meanwhile characters that have been there from the beginning and have long past being necessary, are languishing in the most boring and unnecessary side plots, and as I mentioned in the dedicated ST thread, after the first part of S4, its impossible to see how several of those side plots/characters are actually going to be brought back into the main plot in any relevant or interesting way.

I'm only two episodes into Season 4 but I'm getting the impression Eddie isn't going anywhere? If so, great, cos trauma notwithstanding he & his character really made an impression within a small space of time.

If they dropped the entirety of the Byers family, this show would be better for it. And I include Hopper and 11 at this stage.

Well... technically the theory came from fans before anyone had seen the new episodes, so I can neither confirm or deny how long Eddie is or isn't around for.

Yeah, as much as I love Winona having a resurgence, their whole family could have been dropped after S1 really. I really hated Hopper in S3, and even then I felt like the ending for him was really good, it should have stuck. Eleven is a tough one because I guess they kind of need to keep her, but her arc in S4 is quite dragged out before it gets good, so again, maybe they could have gotten rid. I'd get rid of Mike too, tbh.

Funnily enough I was just reading an interview with The Duffers where they say they actually regret killing off some of the characters that they did over the seasons, so it could be an even bigger cast at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there a plan to add season 2,3 & 4 of Killing Eve on netflix? I don't understand why they only add one season.

Advertisement