Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your dream jobs if you were financially sorted already

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....maybe we should have pushed a little harder and forced frontline workers to work from home also. i know plenty of folks who worked hard from home during it, and some still actually are.....

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭MakersMark

no, no dream, this is reality! its just we have decided to fcuk frontline workers over even more, by not paying your dues, not only do you deserve your covid bonus, you also urgently need a pay rise, and extra paid leave. oh and please dont talk down other workers, in both the public and private sectors, theres hard workers in both, all are equally needed, to keep the show on the road, and by supporting other workers, you might just get whats only right....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

If all the back office civil servants did no work while at home, then you survived 2 years without getting paid so clearly you're already financially sorted so no need for you to be figuring out your dream job for this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s it. The last thing anyone would want after becoming financially “sorted” would be to be bored from 9-5 every day.

People have this, skewed, view that the Civil Service is some cushy “number” that anyone could do but they don’t realise that if you don’t have an extremely high tolerance for boredom you wouldn’t last a week.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

....so emergency personnel spent most of their time bored in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

They're not civil servants, they're public servants...the civil service is the 38k that mainly sit behind a desk doing the boring policy/legislation/bureaucratic work (small minority are frontline like customs in revenue or vets in agriculture)

The other 270k are the public service including guards, medical, etc - the real frontline workers - although almost 100k are in the education sector so certainly more boring than emergency personnel work!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Self employed already running a small business in an area I like working in. So I'd just continue as is, might take on some more staff and let them run it a bit more, so could take some time off. Couldn't imagine anything worse than filling in days in hotels and on beaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wildlife ranger/Vet on some national park in Africa.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd spend days out walking in fields with rescued greyhounds.

And occasionally road trips round place to festivals.

Figure out what's a good hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

photography would be my dream job, not that i'd expect to make money from it. the lotto win would want to be fairly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think this is a good thread. Making people think about what their real motivations and values are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

No such thing, work sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I used to be a marine biologist when I was younger. I spent some time in Scotland working with a group studying bottle nose dolphins and common seals. Then spent 4 years in the field doing my PhD, catching, tagging and tracking marine mammals. If I was sorted financially I’d love to that again. It was great fun and I realise now how lucky I was. That said it was very physical so not sure how my almost 50 yearly body would hold up.

If I didn’t have to work I’d train for an English Chanel swim. It takes about 2 years apparently if you’re coming from a decent swim base (I would be). That’s help pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

I’d stay in my line of work but on my own terms. Work with kids in disadvantaged areas maybe set up something similar to a mens shed but for young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Amateur archaeology and metal detecting in my local area would be great I think. Could be wrong, but I'd say doing it professionally could be frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the civil service was such a great place to end up the competition to get in would be insane and only the best would be chosen. I know people who have left public sector jobs for the private sector and I know people who've gone the other way. I'm pretty sure one isn't universally better. It's a real grass is greener kind of situation.

Personally, I'd prefer to be my own boss, but that comes with its own risks that you don't have as a PAYE worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭NiceFella

I like plants so maybe be an a horticulturalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's tough running a b and b or a pub, long hours, dealing with customers, suppliers, paperwork , bureaucracy, you work 7 days a week , no holidays. Demand varys due to weather , winter, summer

Maybe work in a music or a book shop 2 days a week.

Id like to draw covers for marvel or dc comic books or design characters for video games but I understand most of this is now done using special software, 3d art programs on pcs which I have never used. Or maybe test video games before they get released . I don't know how any one gets bored now with the amount of TV channels , radio, podcasts channels avaidable.

And of course people who work in video games are often expected to work 60 hours a week before the game is released

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

archaeologist… probably influenced by my love of history….. and the great outdoors

pilot, not for the work so much but I loved the idea of getting paid to travel and to stay in different cities and different countries…and see the world, while getting fairly and commensurately paid…

worked in the general industry for a while and found a fair number especially of the older guys to be jackasses though and overnights are generally not very frequent in the industry aside from long haul… so I dunno…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,451 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

do what i'm doing but shell 75% of clients

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

I'd be a full-time dreamer.

Or work with children.

Or maybe work as a haberdasher or in a chapeau shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Ooh! Me too! With plenty of research an' education an' outreach style o' thing too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Physio for the Dutch women's Hockey team 😊

this is a great idea, involved in a mens shed myself, its a fantastic idea, great for the well being of men

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I have a small content agency and I love my work but would like a few fewer hours of it a week so would hire a few really good writers and editors to take more of the strain from me. In my time off I would love to teach content writing for free (I charge for it at the moment) so that more people can enjoy the kind of life I have.

@Gifted I kinda did that when I was in Asia and it is great. I wrote entertainment and food reviews while in Kuala Lumpur and also did some travel bits for the Irish magazine I write for. It's such a great experience. Although I always had to bring a companion for the food testing coz I am allergic to so much and am vegetarian. Often I would only be able to taste one or 2 things on the menu and my companion would get the full treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Working in a day-time restaurant, max 3 days a week. Very enjoyable job if you don't need the money, plus you get to switch off at the end of your shift. Somewhere low stress would be ideal, it's mostly just chatting with people. Good for getting laid if you're single too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'd be a part time cleaner. Good exercise, gets you out and about. You get to see instant results from your efforts. No stress. No hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Writer or pilates teacher /yogi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A wildlife cameramen. Fascinating job. You capture animals doing amazing things. Add in bit of danger and you have it all.

Advertisement