Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your dream jobs if you were financially sorted already

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Open a brewery close to prime fly fishing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Buy a heap of these, put them back in a few pubs/chip shops/ etc., collect from them every few days

That, or used panty vending machines

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Postman or butcher, in some quiet village

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

Volunteer work somewhere (or a few places) that actually makes society better.

On a more selfish note, I have a huge interest in cars and engineering so I would like to work in an F1 team for a while but not too long I couldn't stick the constant travel and very long days, its a lifestyle choice and often at the cost of everything else for those involved, but its a fascinating world to dip your toe into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Stick man on a craps table in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

A few dream jobs come to mind:

-Inventor

- Outdoor pursuits guide

- Lifeguard (aka surfer)

- leading Masseuse for ladies beach volleyball squads

Best of all: doing all these part time (1 day a week each, with Fridays off and every weekend being a 3day holiday weekend.)

Now that would be sweet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

At the time we couldn't afford for me to stop working and go back to education and now the window of opportunity has passed. I'm too old and thanks to a back problem I can only stand up for a few minutes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I recently retired (decided i was going to be a tax taker rather than a tax giver, so arranged to have my employer make me redundant and go on the dole).

Mentioned it in another thread and you would want to see all the armchair expert SJWs piling in with totally pointless posts on it and how secret agents are going to be waiting for me every time i ever go through an airport. They were making it sound like i'll end up in the interview room in Line of Duty. And not even noticing that there are hudreds of thousands of people doing what im doing now all their lives easily enough. No doubt those drama queens from the other thread will be following me in here shortly too.

My main job now is getting social welfare and trying to figure out how to beat the system for when they start means testing.

I think its all sorted. So beating the system means having access to all the money i squirreled away. "Visually" having means that are lower than the threshold for a means test, while having plenty of access to cash. And going on as many breaks abroad (not in Ireland because its too expensive) as I can get away with and still be able to pretend i am looking for work and collecting my JB.

Turns out its a much easier and more rewarding job than I ever thought :) Only costs me about 1 hours work a week if even that instead of 40 hours working plus commute to do proper work.

But anyway. I highly recommend going on the scratcher, as long as you have your pension fully funded, your house bought and access to funds that the social welfare dont know about. Easy street. Collect the tax free money and let your pension fund grow for another few years before you have to activate it.

But if I did ever want to go back to work, i think id like to be a photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I'd open an artists studio. 4 to 6 artists could rent a space upstairs for a small fee and then downstairs, I'd have a gallery where they (or outside artists) could also display their work to sell. There'd be a small bit of commission on the sales. There would also be a coffee area and a section for wine a cheese. I think that sort of income would sustain the wages of the baristas, insurance etc.

I'd then spend 2 days a week or so promoting on social media, website updating and marketing the place and the events that are coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Nature/travel photographer. Or both

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depends on what you mean by sorted financially. I'd like to open a small business, maybe a coffee shop or something. I always wanted to open a bacon themed sandwich shop and call it "The pig lebowski"

Otherwise though I'd be a part time student. I like learning. And if I do part time courses I still have plenty of free time. Might start with a masters in AI or machine learning and follow up with a degree in psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭billyhead

A gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I started keeping a jotter when the Offspring was tiny with family favourite recipes in it. I figured she'd make use of it one day. She's 25 now and will on occasion ( reluctantly ) man the stove but her real love is baking and she could probably teach me a few things in that regard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Maybe not a dream job but something I'd find satisfying is working as a ranger in one of the parks in Africa/India where they deal with wildlife poachers by simply shooting them.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd set my sights on some rip off business I don't like such as car insurance and undercut the absolute living fcuk out of them for the pleasure of watching them squirm as they get pushed closer to bankruptcy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You should always buy your pantie vending machines new.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I always wanted to work in a library but it just never happened.

If I had enough to live on then I'd volunteer in one. Maybe a university or the national one.

The thought of it always makes me smile.

Oh well..back to the actual job..as you can see..night work☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If money wasn't a problem I'd buy a good farm and drive around on a quad / tractor and do a few jobs fencing etc at my own pace and as weather allows

Post edited by cj maxx on

Advertisement