Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deflectors / "flavour bars" on my Sahara had failed after five seasons and being stored outside (under cover), went to clean them and they basically disintegrated

Phoned Sahara Friday morning to order new ones + a new cover; got woken by the postman before 9 on Saturday.

Don't think you'd get that service from many other brands! Weber might have stock in shops but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all,

What's the best way to keep food hot? I'll be having family over for a BBQ over the weekend, I've never cooked for more than 2-3 people and I'll be cooking for 10 people on a 3 burner.

I'll be doing some chicken and some sort of sausages then throw on burgers and buns after. Am I better off putting the chicken and sausages on the warming rack while doing burgers or throw it in the oven covered in tin foil or something similar? Will be doing veg at some point also so could get crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Got this in Aldi for €35 last month (March).... so keep an eye out for same.

I run a discreet power cable to me my patio table and fill it with cooked goodies for people to help themselves

Otherwise - my BBQ has a high-shelf that I use. Turn off 1 x burner and keep food on that side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You don’t want your food to dry out so use chicken thighs instead of breast and put any cooked sausages/burgers in a tinfoil-covered dish and keep in a warm oven (about 100c).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You could also line up another cook to do it in stages, so you're not stuck at the grill the whole time (unless you love bbq'ing, in which case, keep cooking until it slows down and then turn it off for half an hour, gas fires up again handy enough).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If at all possible, cook the burgers to order. Everything else you can keep warm on the rack or in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

how much cooking time would you get from a standard (12kg or so) bareel

of gas on a relatively small 3 flame barbecue?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone see any deals on gas bbqs anywhere and any particular bbq recommendations welcome too please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

The OH took out the Sahara rotisserie again and made chicken shawarma. Served with Lebanese yellow rice, veg and salad. Heinz Turkish style garlic sauce and Heinz North Aftican style spicy kebab sauce sealed the deal. It was unbelievably tasty.

Edit - forgot the homemade Turkish flatbreads....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Spongebobby2021

Hi,

I'm searching for a flat top bbq, like a hot plate - gas bbq, but they seem very hard to find. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find one at a reasonable price? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

I found the same thing when looking for a BBQ. The problem was that your choice of BBQs become very limited.

Blackstone made a BBQ exactly what I wanted, but was too pricy as it was a US import. Buffalo & Campingaz were were a couple of cheaper brands I came across. But you wont find these in the stores and will have to search the net. Start with Amazon.

I ended up choosing the Sahara S350 as it had smaller reversable griddle plate on the side - its a great BBQ (but no rotisserie option which I wouldnt use so didnt bother). But it also has a removable circular insert that fits the (optional) griddle plan - see below. This suited me perfectly but may not be to your liking.

The other alternative is to choose any BBQ you want and buy a large griddle plate and simply lay it on top of the grill.

These can be had in a lot of outdoor shops and online - just search for 'large BBQ griddle plate'. Again may not be your ideal solution, but it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Another option may be to also get the BBQ of your choice, then get a flat top made up. Would be very simple for a metal worker to fabricate, but it is time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The q2000 has griddle inserts that completely replace the grates. It has a good amount of space on it, no reason that both grates couldn't be replaced with griddles. It would have the small lip around the edges so you would lose a small amount of space where the 2 plates meet.

I bought an off market one. I want to replace my grates with a set from the same company at some point as they are bare cast iron instead of the enamelled ones that weber provide.

Denmay 6559 38.9 x 27.5 cm Grill Parts Cast Iron griddle pan for Weber Q200, Q220, Q240, Q260, Q2000, Q2200, Q2400 Series Gas Grills Accessories, Cast Iron Griddle Pan https://amzn.eu/998TRsN

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭tmh106

I bought an off market one. I want to replace my grates with a set from the same company at some point as they are bare cast iron instead of the enamelled ones that weber provide.

Apologies if this is a daft question, but what is the advantage of the bare cast iron over the enamelled grates?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The porcelain enamel seems to eventually break down or chip and allow damp underneath causing rust patches on the cast iron below plus I guess the theoretical risk of getting a bit stuck in food. I have several rusty patches on the grates of my Q that need regular scrubbing off even though they probably don't owe me anything after 10 years service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

I have the Sahara 450 & recently bought the grill plate insert, it works fantastically well (doubles up as a pizza iron for indoor cooking). Blackstone would be a dream though. Was recently in the US & the Blackstone accessories are available everywhere & quite inexpensive compared with own brand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Fair inflation on those Sahara bbq in one year! 🫤

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

Yep - Woodies had them on sale a couple of times throughtout the summer last year so thats the time to buy.

Has anyone any experience of this bbq and would recommend it please?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq/master-cook-classic-700-7-burner-bbq/122968.html

• Advertisement

The Homestore BBQs are good value and should last a good few years even with leaving it outside. Just cover it with a heavy duty cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

very novice to this and have a Weber q1200... I bought an adapter kit yesterday so it would work with the big gas canisters instead of the small ones... im assuming the numbers control the flow from the canister and the higher I go, the higher the temp will go on the Weber. Got it to about 200 tonight on 5... I'm afraid to go higher ha ha.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Has anyone bought replacement grills for a Mastercook 600?

I see on Amazon when I search that they have grills, but don't specifically mention Mastercook BBQ's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone on the thread bought or even used a Blackstone and would they recommend it? Also how would it work in terms of gas, would I need a different hose and regulator if buying from the US.

I was all set to buy the Sahara S350 bbq today but spotted a local builders merchants have a 4 day sale this weekend with 20% off all bbqs. Ended up buying the Weber Spirit ll E-210, got it for €463, just in time for all the rain that's promised for the coming week.

This thread has been a great source of information, thanks.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/gas-barbecues/spirit-series-/44010174.html

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

Does anyone have a name or contact for someone who would service/repair a Weber Spirit 3 series . I need new burner and new ignition button. Based in Malahide

Looks like Homebase have sale on

😎

500 for Sahara X 350, about as good a price as one will get? Don’t mind waiting

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

With the weather we've had so far, I'd fully expect there to be a massive sale on BBQs shortly for them to clear stock

Advertisement