Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Resident Evil 4 remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Underground

Posted this in the other thread.

Visually this obviously looks amazing.

Have to say I think the tone unfortunately looks way off. Part of the brilliance of RE4 was that it didn't take itself too seriously, was self aware and had a good sense of humour. This looks like it takes itself very seriously.

They have the same Leon voice actor for RE2 as well who I wasn't mad about, sooo... 😬

Anyway, hopefully the gameplay is still great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I won't judge the tone until I see how they portray Ramon Salazar!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They say they've updated the controls to the modern standard which is good to hear. Something about it looked a bit off, like it didn't look as good as RE2 which you'd think it would look as good as if not better. Looking forward to seeing gameplay for a better idea on that but most likely day 1 purchase for me.

Agree that the visuals aren't as impressive as I'd have thought, especially considering it's current gen only. I wonder by how much they'll actually deviate from the original. The storyline is being altered apparently, but nothing in the trailer looked "new" per sé.

Just coming back to the visuals, it didn't have the splash for the RE Engine logo. Wonder if it's not actually using it? And if not, is that because it wasn't being developed inhouse initially?

• Advertisement

I forgot a about it being developed outside and the turmoil they had. Would be very disappointing if this wasn't using re engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭recyclops

I'm just playing RE4 VR so sadly my excitement for this is lessened. There is very little about 4 I would change except controls but tonally and story wise it's almost perfect as it's so batshit

Side note VR version is just top class a big advertisement for how good VR can be and I'd normally not be a fan at all

I did hear that most of the game will take place at night, which was the case anyway, but those early parts of the village will now be at night I think.

I just hope it's still got a goofy sense of humour with Leon's bad one liners and Ramon being cartoonish, although I'm excited to see how they mix it up.

At least we can look the part while we wait. And for only $1500 apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I loved the two recent remakes, and never fully played RE4 (think I got as far as being attacked by a monster fish on a lake or something), so really looking forward to this. They missed the mark with RE3:Remake even though I still enjoyed it, but I think with the more tepid reaction to it and their recent multiplayer efforts, plus the reverence for RE4, I'd be really hopeful that this could be fantastic.

• Advertisement

Minor spoilers here if you haven't played the original;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't bought any of the remakes, but I'll get this one. My favourite RE. They'll have to remove that part anyway, wouldn't stand in todays world!

They did remove a fair few lines from the VR version.

I haven't played it since it first came out, remind me what was so bad it would have to be cut for today's audiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Latin lothario, damsel in distress, femme fatale in a cocktail dress, evil dwarf.

None of it will play these days.

A certain Luis Serra line referencing "ballistics".

I found the changes from the VR versions, I have to admit I don't recall it being as bad as it actually was.

For some reason i thought Ashley was at most 16 so reading those lines that have been changed (which i have no recollection of anyway) seemed awful dodgy. Had to look it up and saw she is 20 in that game. Between the horny writing and the fact they definitely made her look, sound and act younger, jaysus Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Horny writing 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Latin lothario ..oh the horror! The only legit criticism of that game was the upskirting of young Ashing 😅😲

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah re1 gets a replay at least twice a year. Tinkered it just enough to make it fresh from the original.

Ashamed to say i never completed RE1 remake. I remember really enjoying it as they nailed the whole 'different enough yet keeping the nostalgia in place'. I only played a couple of hours and when i went back, my save was gone and i just played something else instead and never went back. Actually looking for something to play for the next week so gonna install it and give it another spin.

Also, the RE1 classic is still absolutely brilliant and with picking up on modern consoles.

Man, Resident Evil 1 just hasn't lost it. Left out an audible uuuggghh when i came across my first zombie, not many games cash instill that reaction from me. Dripping in atmosphere like the original and I'm baffled on where to go as the path seems to be completely different then the original.

My only regret is picking Chris as the 6 inventory slot is already annoying me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that's the best thing about the resident evil remakes. It's still well worth playing the originals as they are different enough from the remakes. It just means instead of a definitive resi 1 or 2 experience you have two amazing resi 1 and 2 experiences worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah when I played as Chris I had to restart the game as all item slots were filled before I got to the first item box and so wasn't able to pick up the item required to proceed.

You know what, I'm gonna do the same. I have 3 progress items lying around the place, including a key i can't pick up. And it's taking away from the game as instead of soaking in the atmosphere, I'm trying to remember where different items are to make trips back and forth to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ye are not selling it to me! Don't think i could hack the old school inventory system again. They do look well, but I wasn't a massive fan of them back in the day either. I'll wait for an inclusion on Plus and then never play it.

• Advertisement

Tiny snippet from tonight's Capcom presentation. Maybe seven seconds of new footage... 😂 The only interesting bit really is that they're completely redesigning los ganados (apparently).

Advertisement