Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 4 remake

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm getting through it in waves, I'll play a few chapters and really enjoy it, then wack head-first into an awful section and have to stop playing. Then I'll rest up come back a few days later and power through to find an enjoyable part again.

I think if I had played it way back I might appreciate it more for the ways it innovated. But playing it now, with the many games that clearly took what it did and improved on, it is hard to see it as a masterpiece it is often held up as.

Dead Space is often brushed aside as the poor man's RE4, but we now have both remakes launching almost side by side, Dead Space is much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd happily maintain that Resi 4 original is the best of the series IMO, but I don't think Remake manages to properly capture - let alone reimagine - what made that game so special back in 2005. That's an impossible task, perhaps. It's not even that the original has aged as badly as some other hugely influential games of the past have, but it's hard to grasp what a wonderful shock to the system it was on release when so many games have copied its ideas since. Although I'm not sure anyone has ever managed a video game action sequence quite as good as the opening village attack in RE4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

On the whole, this looks like it's well worth buying. I was honestly sceptical that we needed an RE4 remake but so far, all looks to be well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It is well worth buying imo. Few minor issues which are mostly subjective at the end of the day, but nothing major. It's a fun, engaging, well-designed game which looks and plays great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've a forced house move coming up. Might get it as a treat, assuming I don't drop my PC on the way.

Ta.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's only really some niggle I have with it but it's got the mechanical depth to it that Resi 4 also had which puts it way ahead of most other third person horror games. I'd take it over the Dead Space remake and looking forward to mercenaries mode, loads of twitter having fun with that and keeping a combo going through the whole session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

My biggest gripe was one of the treasures had to be got before you progress to a certain section and then you stupidly couldnt go back, That rubbish annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wrapped it just now. Very enjoyable especially the back half. From the mines on was great.

I found I would enjoy big sections but it would all go to a head during one bad set piece that would have me switching the console off.

They could have ironed those out for the remake. But still it's a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Stuck on my professional run to try S+ it, on chapter 14 when you get Ashley to hold the gate open and you have to unlock a door and she's attacked as you unlock it, I make it round really quick but she's nowhere to be seen then she's dragged through a door and that's every player through. This isn't the regenarator part it's just before that.

So, my PC survived my unplanned house move and I treated myself to this. I have to say that it's at RE2 remake levels of goodness. I love the pivot towards horror and away from the campy dialogue of the original. The shooting games are a lot harder as well. My only complaint is that the performance isn't amazing. My PC dropped to 30 fps in the merchant's wharf. If anyone knows what settings are killing my fps, I'd love to know.

Also, the knife blocking mechanic is just so much fun.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Have to say this is quite disappointing. A lot of the changes that have been made have made the experience better, particularly the parrying and the shift to a darker tone. That said, the appalling optimisation has ruined the experience for me. I can barely see anything in some sections and I've dropped below 30 FPS several times. My PC can easily handle the other RE games from RE7 onwards so why this is an issue is beyond me. I'll probably just finish it the once, call it a day and remember to research new titles in future before dropping £49.99 on them.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Did you try looking up optimum graphics settings for you gpu and processor combo Might be able to improve it a fair bit

I did do a quick google. One reddit comment said that switching to balanced worked for them. I noticed no real difference.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just letting all you resi fans know that the brand survey is now open, at the end there is question asking what game would you like to be remade next. I replied with Resident Evil-Code Veronica and Resident Evil Outbreak. However, many people were mentioning Dino Crisis as well, I regretted not mentioning it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've wanted a Code Veronica remake for years now, was hoping they would bring out a CV remake before Resident Evil 4 but I'm still hoping we'll see a remake down the line.

Last week I found myself hoping for an Outbreak remake as well. Apparently there are some hints in Resident Evil 3 that refer the Outbreak survivors. At one point Jill can hear someone speaking on a police radio in a squad car who says he's with some survivors and one of them is injured. There is a lot of speculation that the guy on the radio was Kevin Ryman, the RPD cop from Outbreak.

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 remake over the weekend and I think it's beautifully made. I still think the Resident Evil 2 remake is the best of the remake series, but I'm happy with Resident Evil 4 all the same.

Anyone notice the addition of 7 new achievements? Looks like we've DLC on the way.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭jones

Picked this up last week on sale and have been loving it. I'm on chapter 9 and its really bringing the memories back a cracking remake IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eterasai

Agreed. Resident Evil 4 is the best game in all Resident Evils for me too. And i always wished for other games to be like that, with that kind of mechanisms. It was awesome. I completed it in my Compaq laptop back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Loving the game so far but 2 glitches have happened to me. One was in the castle so half way through it when I went back to the castle walls where the cannons where all the ground was gone so could see underneath the river etc. So was hard to navigate and same glitch has happened now to me when I'm on the island trying to rescue the girl I can just see the sea water so it's a bit annoying. Otherwise great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Separate Ways DLC and The Mercenaries multiplayer coming next week, 21st Sept

• Advertisement

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement