Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airside daylight robbery

• 16-05-2022 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭

Parked in airside shopping centre today at 6pm, car was clamped at 6:10pm, 125€ to unclamp, told it's only for patrons of shops, not gym or vhi clinic, watch out, someone is watching you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Some poor innocent shopper couldn’t park because of your selfish actions.

Suck it up, learn your lesson and don’t do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Is the ‘daylight robbery’ the unauthorised parking in the private car park of the shopping centre?

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

The daylight robbery is clearly signposted all over the car park bizarrely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Strange thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The irony though is that you could park there before 6pm taking a space from a potential customer and not be a patron of their shops and not be clamped but you will be clamped when their shops are closed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure that's how they identify you're not a shopper. if you parked there before six they can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

The clampers at Circle K / McDonalds @ Dublin Airport do it by watching people. If you park at Circle K and walk towards McDonalds, you get clamped and vice versa. It's a bit labour intensive but it's not impossible.

Yes, but if their shops are closed you're not really taking their customers spaces. I'm all for clamping of illegally parked vehicles on public streets but this policy at Airside smacks of a pure income generating exercise. If they really didn't wish people to park their after hours, they'd simply put up a barrier at both entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Could you not just go to McD's to get something of eurosaver, then you are a paying customer of one of the businesses.

Its a bit **** greedy to be fair, if a car park has no barriers is completely open to then public doesn't require payment at anytime and has plenty of space you should be able to park there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That’s great news, I’ll be parking on your driveway tomorrow so.

You're not honestly trying to make a comparison between someone's driveway where the owner is the only one who parks there and a public carpark which is free to park in for anyone at most times of day but has a few small signs saying that outside of certain hours they will clamp you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

You’re right! Your driveway needs some No Parking signs

I know what you mean OP. I fancied a bag of popcorn, so broke into the local cinema after hours and fired up the machine. Ended up setting off an alarm and got arrested. Fine totaled €250, for a BUCKET OF POPCORN FFS!!!

Rip off is right.

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭DaBluBoi

HAHAHA I love the /s

/s

Besides that, couldn't you just park somewhere near that parking lot? Or is it like a full car dealership at that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Quitelife

If your car was broken into or there was shots fired at your car the eagle eyed clamper would be nowwhere to be seen.

Proper crime is largely ignored whilst micky mouse motoring offences by tax payers are pursued like your Irelands top criminal!

Lol, the clampers are not the police. Why the **** would they attempt to stop a car being broken into or being shot at anymore than a tesco worker would?

They are doing their job.

Think that clampers are doing a **** job for what it's worth, but to expect them to be doing the work of the police is absolute lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Of course you are right there is no valid comparison to a private driveway.

It's a heist but a legal one.

The only helpful advice apart from carrying an angle grinder is if you see any signs in a carpark study them carefully.

Don’t forget to bring some highly powerful magnetic ray guns with your angle grinder, so you can remotely wipe the CCTV recordings of you doing criminal damage to property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the advice AJR have a nice weekend 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Has any one ever been in trouble for cutting off a non council clamp, genuine question. I know lots of people who cut them off but I don't think they had a ray gun. I know in my apartment block if they clamp a car and it gets cut off they just never clamp it again

I’d guess that availability of cctv would be a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clamp fairy with hoodie who approaches car, cuts off clamp and leaves is useful.

Owner did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That time in airside there would be over 100 free spaces.

just a revenue generator.

6 vehicles in a 24 hour period is 750 in revenue.

5250 revenue over a week.

273,300 annual revenue for a business that I’d imagine is relatively low on overheads.

Or…. bear with me now…. if you’re parking on someone else’s property, follow their rules and don’t get clamped? If you visit a friends house and they ask you to take your shoes off, do you belligerently tell them to GFY and stomp around anyway or do you politely take your shoes off? Why is it so different when it comes to driving/parking?

That's a ridiculous comparison.

The only way it could even get close to being relevant would be (a) If you and many strangers were permitted access to your friend's house to stomp around all day long with your shoes on up until 6pm and (b) your friend left his front door open as normal after 6pm and didn't inform anyone entering his house of the rule change put put up little notes around the house instead.

The first thought of any right thinking person would be to tell the friend to close the fcuking front door if he didn't want anyone parading around his house after 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

In fairness to the original poster I sometimes park there and use businesses in both the retail park and across the road after. Shops usually open until 9pm there so don't understand what the situation is. Always thought you might be in difficulty leaving car all day or overnight but never seen something like this occur..has the signage changed recently?

There’s a sign at the entrance to the car park that starts with the words: “This car park is only for shopping in the shops.”

The second line says: “If you are parked here and seen leaving the car park, you will be clamped “.

The last line: “This car park closes at 6:30 … no parking after this time “.

Is there something ambiguous about those sentences? How is that like leaving little notes around the place?

I agree that it’s odd to leave a car park open and not allow parking in it but it’s their property, the rules are clearly printed at the entrance. But if the shops are closed and the car park is only for the shops, what difference does it make?

https://goo.gl/maps/mzAd1AFccCHGeheM8

I'd have no sympathy for those clamped if there were no other shops in the vicinity but most of those clamped are frequenting businesses on the other side and probably assumed that they would be considered customers. I accept that the original reason clamping was introduced was to eliminate long term parking (i.e. airport users) but I don't think this is an issue now.

• Advertisement

There are signs at the entrance but I've never noticed any elsewhere in the car park.

The signs at the entrance are basically unreadable as there is far too much writing to read on just passing and you would be beeped to **** if you stopped to read it. Most would probably make the reasonable assumption if there is clamping it applies outside the opening hours.

I amazed anyone is on the side of the car park here.

If they want to charge for parking fair enough, if they want to impose certain hours on the car park put a barrier in, but the fact you could be shopping and just walk across the road to get a coffee and be clamped is crazy.

Advertisement