Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airside daylight robbery

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Spook thanks for that - I stand corrected.

"(A) within the previous twelve months, the vehicle had been clamped and that clamp was removed without authorisation;"

Im going to have to be more careful in my dealings with my problem now. Mind you it goes to show that the ones Im dealing with dont know the law either since they also believed I was correct in saying it had to be clamped first. Hopefully they dont read this thread!!! Its a bit of a **** law to be honest and Id probably still continue to cut these off especially as we are supposed to have an agreement with the owners of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I’m confused. I’ve read the entire thread and can’t make out where this public car park is and what it has to do with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Airside Shopping Centre according to the OP.

It's a carpark on private land to which the public have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,264 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where was the OP supposed to park if they were going to somewhere in Airside other than the shops after 6pm?

Seems like a racket and innocent mistake. The shops in Airside have suffered zero loss as a result of the OP's actions and there's been some godawful strawman arguments put forward which seem based on nothing more than schadenfruede.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes it's a kind of flytrap.

Cars need to be parked in order to be a useful means of transport.

You have a big car park open to the public and might innocently think it's ok to park there.

The problem is that the law is on the side of the car park owners.

If you enter a car park that has signs, read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Why would you need to park there if the shops are closed? Quick getaway after a bit of larceny perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are businesses on the other side of the car park which open later hours than the main shops but they do not have access to the car park for their customers. However, as the car park is physically accessible and very close to those businesses, it's easy for the uninitiated customers to assume that the car park is there for all customers in the area. Hence the reason why many believe that the clamping is purely a money making racket. If the car park owners really didn't want parking there, they could simply install a barrier.

Why should they go to the expense and bother of a barrier?

Typical of the leach like attitude of motorists. Always expecting free storage space. Legally or illegally.

To prevent customers of other businesses in the vicinity from parking in their car park. Would you leave your front door wide open and employ staff to prevent people from entering your house or would you simply lock your front door and dispense with the additional staff? Would you remove the doors on you car and employ people to prevent access to it? A barrier is hardly an 'expense' or 'bother'! We're not talking about 'leeching' for free storage space but motorists who are customers of businesses in the vicinity of this very large car park.

False comparison.

And a barrier is both an expense and a bother. It costs time and money. They have a system that works for them, the only people with a problem are the freeloaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭paul321123

Have seen this a few times out there while waiting in the car for the other half, looks like they wait in there car and watch were people go after they parked, if they are not going to the shops they will be tickeded, be warned, this is the way they do it out there, a bit sneaky but there are signs all over the place.

A couple of posts anchored to the ground and a metal crossbar and padlock is hardly much of an expense and it's a one off expense. Most supermarket car parks have them. There's too much money to be made from clamping instead.

Not that I have any time for the clampers but there may be reasons why a locked barrier would not suit all tenants on the complex.

For instance after hours access may be necessary for deliveries, for cleaners and maintenance, for keyholders in the event of alarm going off etc.

Also maybe all shops don't close at the same time and opening hours may vary ie. late opening at Christmas.

Then there is the question of access for emergency services, AGS, fire brigade, ambulance.

Some valid points alright - there's a separate entrance for deliveries so I'm assuming key holders can also access their premises via that entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

clampers are also an ‘ ongoing ‘ expense and a bother.

I didn't think of the delivery entrance but I suppose that would probably have to be controlled with a barrier as well if they put one at the main entrance.

Is there much anti social carry on there after hours?

For anyone not familiar with the car park in question, here's a satellite image of it. The car park is for customers of the businesses on the upper side. The customers of the businesses on the lower side (across the L2305) are not permitted to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

same here..never been clamper but always carry the gear in the boot.

Not long enough.

Between the extra weight you would be carrying around for a lifetimes driving and the charging up and replacing the grinders when the batteries can't be revived it would probably be cheaper to pay the release fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe you’ve never been clamped because you know how to park?

Advertisement