Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Part 6 - Anything else?

Q21 Do you have anything you'd like to add on the topic of blended working that was missed from the survey and should be included if there's another one?

So the relevant comments received are below. Note, I didn't say in the survey I was going to post these, and probably should have, so I've left out or edited responses that might serve to identify anyone. If anyone recognises their comment and wants it removed, feel free to PM me.

NB: I can only edit this post until approximately 10pm on 1st June.

* Just wish it wasn’t implemented on the personal whims of senior management.

* In DECC five days a week in the office will only be allowed in exceptional circumstances. I answered yes to question on Partnership Committee but its really Grade Forum reps for each grade, and there is a specifically set up cross grade Consultative Group comprising of grade reps from A/Sec down to CO.

* I have answered the questions as "blended working" but our situation at the moment is work at home as we have been doing - there is no option for that scenario! If someone wants to work from the office the line manager should be told but you don't have to book a desk so far. Re when blended work is to come in it has been mooted for September (officially.unofficially) with one day a week the minimum.

* DHLGH are taking a very rigid approach to blended working, despite the fact that the office cannot accommodate all staff at the same time due to increased numbers.

* Yes, DFHERIS have 1 anchor day and 1 floating. No rosters required

* The available answers for Flexi didn't quite fit for my department. Clock in whenever suits (before 10), take lunch whenever suits without clocking out (don't have to take 1.15) and clock out anytime from 4 on. Regardless of how many hours I work I will get 7.24 on the clock. This has been how we worked all during Covid - suits most. We can't build up time but we also can't lose time! The work gets done and I put in longer days when necessary and balance it out when not so busy. In no hurry to see Flexi restored as this system is working well and work gets done.

* What is your preference now that you are back in the office a while post covid on blended working? I would still love fulltime remote working, only to attend the office for meeting/onsite training etc.

* Our Department will publish the policy over the next few months but have indicated that there will be flexibility for AP/POs in each area with a minimum of only 4 days per month required in the office.

* How it will all work in relation to recruitment into the future ie will there be separate competitions which will recruit for remote jobs only (I would like to see this), will it be embedded into job descriptions (I'm starting to see this).

* If we have a bank holiday or day off these days are regarded as our remote working days so some weeks we have no remote working. Although we have normal working hours our remote days are changed on a whim for no reason, messing up childcare arrangements etc, regularly.

* Some of the questions previously should have included the option to say we’re currently still WFH 5 days a week rather than blended (current situation for DSP policy staff until policy is published). Perhaps questions about how/if applications were made

* My department sets number of days in office higher for Admin staff than professional staff even though we all work on delivering the same service. Concern is that locally approved blended arrangements will mirror pandemic with Admin staff required in office while professional staff WFH with process adapted to facilitate only professional staff.

* DSP seem very flexible and progressive.

* We didn't have official flex time but flexible work arrangements applied in most areas, e.g. flexible start/finish times

* Perhaps bit more on communication from Management to staff on their thoughts, as in my own department staff have not been really consulted throughout the process.

* Just a couple of notes - NSSO kept Flexi clocking throughout WFH, it was just Flexi leave that went. Also, officers can currently have Flexi leave back if they choose to return to 5 days in the office - but that was a fairly recent piece of news, and I haven't heard any detail on that (does it have to be a permanent return to 5 days? If so, can they still apply for blended later on, or do they have to return to 5 for a certain amount or time or anything? - thinking of the work pattern change process here. If not a commitment to permanent 5 days, how much can you chop and change it?)

* Fully wfh but some of the questions re flexi didn’t give an option for wfh. Flexi accrual not allowed but can work between 8am- 7pm

* Which flexi pilot is your dept planning to trial a, flexible for all working patterns regardless or b, flexi acrual allowed only when attending the office

* Hope there won't be "family friendly " criteria as in my organisation worksharing has been restricted to staff with children under 18 and staff with medical reasons. Staff with elderly parents can only avail of carer's leave where relative requires care 24 hours a day. Blended working might allow caring without giving up job / losing income.

* Add Garda Civilian to the list (otherwise some will include under Dept of Justice).

* We don’t have any blended working policy, or official guidance on use of flexitime / flexileave apart from DPER policy on COVID-19. Flexi time always allowed when WFH, but no flexi leave.

* Many colleagues continue to WFH if not public facing and their management haven’t rattled any cages.

* ICT have a local policy to require 1 day onsite

* Question mark of possibility for management to move staff to customer facing roles on a whim removing remote working options as it happened to me.

* Maybe a question on who do we think is pushing for back to the office? Answer: the Sec Gen! Or something to capture the reality on the ground i.e. plenty of people in my dept seem essentially to be ignoring the edict, but I'm still on probation so don't feel that I can do that, much as I want to. Plenty of days I've gone in to an empty office, current situation is ridiculous IMO

* Our AP had all staff in office despite official policy and point blank refuses WFH. If they hear of someone WFH they demand to know who authorised it & expect the employee to either be in the office the following day or to report sick.

* Current policy is two days minimum in the office, but no maximum. I'm generally in the office 4 or 5 days a week, from personal preference.

* You might ask additional questions about provision of desk, chair or costs to cover these.

* The lack of engagement with AP Grade and down has been lacking in this process. The irony of the system where we all rattle out the set pieces at interview re engaging with stakeholders, communicate with stakeholders, lead and manage people, collaborate, bring people with you etc - why are we not applying those competencies in the most fundamental of policies impacting on civil service and public sector staff? I fear a policy will be brought in that both managers and staff will not agree with nor feel part of the decision and the result will be a disengaged workforce.

* I have been so angry how staff have been treated by management (Sec. Gen, HR etc.) in my Dept. and also the Forsa rep in relation to the return to the office. I worked at home for 2 years and myself or my colleagues were not consulted at all on the return to the office. WFH is life changing for me and improves my quality of life. I feel workers are just puppets at the moment to fill spaces in properties/real estate and there is no care for staff wellbeing or what the majority of staff want. Yes, some staff want to attend the office and that's their choice but for myself and many others the commute, taking away the option to live further away from the office, the absolute distraction working in open plan offices and forced return to the office is a complete negative. I am looking for other employment, preferably remote work now as I am completely disillusioned with the Department I work in.

Sin é. Some good comments/suggestions there, which I'll try to incorporate if I do this again.

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Thanks for doing this. Glad to see I'm not the only one working in a mushroom farm ;-)

fair play for all the effort really interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

We received a DPER circular earlier this month regarding blended working policy within our department. It all sounded great - exalting the department's desire to embrace progress and a better work life balance for all employees. An application to apply for blended working is to be issued in June.

Our manager told us today that he will only be offering 1 day WFH, where we have up till now been working 3/4 days from home. When asked why, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "that's just what I have decided" . This is before the applications are even issued. Office was like a morgue after he said it. People are NOT happy.

Our productivity is up, calls & emails are being answered 100%, everything is working smoothly. It's just pure pig-headedness and unwillingness to move with the times as far as we can make out. One colleague has already decided to hand in her notice and I have applied for mobility. If I don't get mobility before Christmas, I'll be taking a job elsewhere.

That's two employees with more than 20 years experience between them he'll definitely be losing and more are bound to follow. As far as I can make out, the blended working policy sounds great in principle, but in practice, is more or less totally reliant on having a manager who gives a toss about the people working for them. Ours clearly doesn't.

One of the circulars we received gave an extensive outline of how they want to be progressive and attract more talent into the civil service. Managers like mine won't help at all in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

That's really amazing work @TaurenDruid, fair play to you!

• Advertisement

*Hope there won't be "family friendly " criteria as in my organisation worksharing has been restricted to staff with children under 18 and staff with medical reasons.

Woah.

This jumped out at me. This is blatant discrimination on grounds of family status and whomever has implemented this restriction needs to be dragged in front of the WRC, asap.

Still processing the rest of the information, but great job, @TaurenDruid !

One colleague has already decided to hand in her notice and I have applied for mobility. If I don't get mobility before Christmas, I'll be taking a job elsewhere.

Is handing in notice not a little drastic as a first step? Would it not be an idea to either get the union involved, or all just contact HR and look for a transfer? CC'ing this guy's manager and outlining why you're all looking to move? Very hard to justify his position, given the circumstances, and more senior management might well tell him to cop on to himself.

Yup, that one jumped out at me too. That's pretty much a textbook case of discrimination on the grounds of family status.

Given some of the posts in the last couple of pages, I'm really wondering what the hell Fórsa and the AHCPS are doing these days apart from selling insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Some managers are just petty. I have 6 staff working to me. We look out for eachother and ensure that we all get to WFH when we want. I have made in more than clear that as long as the work is getting done and they go to site when needs be that they can work where they want on the other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement

Circular on Haddington Road hours reversal issued: https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/46f72-circular-142022-revision-of-working-hours-in-the-civil-service/

In a nutshell: we're going to a 7-hour day.

Not, for some reason, the actual pre-HRA hours of 6:57. I imagine Fórsa will send a strongly worded email, and the land-grabbing PO or AP who decided this will get a promotion for "saving" all of those 15-minute chunks.

The core hours are weird and they retain the "we finish 15 minutes early on a Friday so ye can all rush to the train station to get a seat" and bizarre 1 hour 15 minute lunchbreak. And 9:12?!

5. The normal attendance period for civil servants will be from 9.12am to 5.30pm Monday to Thursday, and 9.12am to 5.15pm on Friday with 1 hour and 15 minutes for lunch break.

This was interesting, though:

16. For those working in a blended pattern, it has been agreed that a pilot will be conducted, during the latter half of 2022, to test the operation of flexitime accrual in a blended working environment. Further details on the pilot for flexitime accrual will be available from local HR units.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Totally illegal.

Every time I hear the guff about "the civil service aiming to be one of Ireland's leading employers etc. etc." my eyes nearly swivel right to the back of my head. It's bollocks. Start by consistently obeying employment law across the board, that is literally the very minimum any employer should be doing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

* Just wish it wasn’t implemented on the personal whims of senior management.

👍️

* In DECC five days a week in the office will only be allowed in exceptional circumstances. I answered yes to question on Partnership Committee but its really Grade Forum reps for each grade, and there is a specifically set up cross grade Consultative Group comprising of grade reps from A/Sec down to CO.

Partnership Committee, now there's a thing I haven't heard in 15 years or so.

Seriously, they still exist?

* If we have a bank holiday or day off these days are regarded as our remote working days so some weeks we have no remote working. Although we have normal working hours our remote days are changed on a whim for no reason, messing up childcare arrangements etc, regularly.

Totally unfair and displays an amazing lack of cop on tbh. Anybody who would implement such a thing should not be managing people.

* My department sets number of days in office higher for Admin staff than professional staff even though we all work on delivering the same service. Concern is that locally approved blended arrangements will mirror pandemic with Admin staff required in office while professional staff WFH with process adapted to facilitate only professional staff.

As above.

* DSP seem very flexible and progressive.

LOL!

* Perhaps bit more on communication from Management to staff on their thoughts, as in my own department staff have not been really consulted throughout the process.

Zero consultation and zip from the union branch too.

* Maybe a question on who do we think is pushing for back to the office? Answer: the Sec Gen! Or something to capture the reality on the ground i.e. plenty of people in my dept seem essentially to be ignoring the edict, but I'm still on probation so don't feel that I can do that, much as I want to. Plenty of days I've gone in to an empty office, current situation is ridiculous IMO

👍️👍️

* Our AP had all staff in office despite official policy and point blank refuses WFH. If they hear of someone WFH they demand to know who authorised it & expect the employee to either be in the office the following day or to report sick.

Gobshite. Should be stuck in a white walled room on his own and told to read reports for the rest of his days.

* You might ask additional questions about provision of desk, chair or costs to cover these.

I brought home my fancy back chair, when we returned to the office regularly they eventually got me a second one for in the office. It's in their interest as the first chair saved them a fortune in sick leave. No desk provided and I haven't heard of anyone getting one in our Dept.

* The lack of engagement with AP Grade and down has been lacking in this process. The irony of the system where we all rattle out the set pieces at interview re engaging with stakeholders, communicate with stakeholders, lead and manage people, collaborate, bring people with you etc - why are we not applying those competencies in the most fundamental of policies impacting on civil service and public sector staff? I fear a policy will be brought in that both managers and staff will not agree with nor feel part of the decision and the result will be a disengaged workforce.

Hear hear 👍️👍️👍️ this is where all the airy-fairy management-speak BS hits reality, and so far it's not looking too pretty

* I have been so angry how staff have been treated by management (Sec. Gen, HR etc.) in my Dept. and also the Forsa rep in relation to the return to the office. I worked at home for 2 years and myself or my colleagues were not consulted at all on the return to the office. WFH is life changing for me and improves my quality of life. I feel workers are just puppets at the moment to fill spaces in properties/real estate and there is no care for staff wellbeing or what the majority of staff want.

👍️ and as for the union I couldn't even tell you who my Forsa rep is any more. The merger has, as predicted, been a complete disaster for everyone apart from the officials

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

I've tried to engage with our Fórsa rep to at least give us updates as to what stage the negotiations are at...Tumbleweed. I think at this point I may as well cancel my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

My Dept has published the policy and had two townhalls with the SG which took questions on it post publication.

Pre publication both the Fórsa and AHCPS branches shared the draft policy with the membership and took feedback/observations back to the Dept.

Very strange that some others have had no Union interaction. If your branches aren't on the ball you should really aim to change the Committees representing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 happyWednesday

@TaurenDruid thanks so much for this it's really insightful 👍. Is it possible to get a breakdown of the WFH amount per week per dept, to see who's best/worst?

Do you mean for under current arrangements; or what's been proposed for published policies? I can pull this out all right but I'll have to do it mostly manually, I think, so it'll be this evening.

It would be from the results of this survey ie if Revenue people answers were WFH 3 days a week, Agriculture 1 WFH etc. Only if you can, once it's not too manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

We all want to see where we are going to look for a move to😀!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Augme

If people let managers get away with stuff like the above things will never change. That manager should be challenged on his decision through appropriate channels. I certainly wouldn't be letting him make that decision scot free.

Oh, we plan to appeal as soon as we're offered the one day WFH. I spoke to our AP about the appeals process yesterday and he explained that we have to appeal to him and then ultimately the PO if that fails.

To be honest, I've already mentally prepared myself to leave. Submitted 2 job applications today already ( both offering hybrid/WFH options). I simply don't want to work under anyone who mistrusts and undervalues his staff to such a degree. His loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I bet there is nothing in writing about that - while there are a lot of gobsh*te managers in the PS, they wouldn't be stupid enough to put the above in writing.

They might say it in a phone call though which is where the ability to record calls is a useful skill.

Employee: I see my request for work sharing has been rejected, why is that?

Gobsh*te: it's because you don't have children under 18

Employee: LOL, see you in court!

Wait, when you said the manager do you mean the HEO?

I wouldn't be paying any attention to what a HEO says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Minimum wfh opportunities in my place and HEO decides who is allowed wfh. No appeal of the actual decision is allowed.

Between that and mobility seemingly at a standstill, I’m going to crazy while waiting for a change.

Union are useless.

HEO shouldn't have that discretion tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Does the revised working hours mean I can no longer work 8-4.

Advertisement