Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It shows that the local council are willing to approve housing away from the existing built up urban area without provision for public/transport. The residents there would obviously be very car dependent and contribute to further traffic congestion around Galway. So on one hand they are happy for development patterns which contribute to traffic, while at the same time promoting a road as their main solution to congestion (there are no sustainable transport considerations as part of the GCRR).

It's all about providing more space for cars while allowing development patterns which will result in more cars which eat up the space provided. No considerationfor disincentivising cars or providingviable alternatives (apart from vague notions about "freeing up space" which may or may not happened). It's all so backwards.

Most recent reports are it's being modified, scaled back. No more than that so far. Same as all these projects, we won't hear more until there's more to hear i.e. Plannings approved, construction start etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are huge plans underway to densify central Galway, especially around the station, which I am all in favour of.

The proposed new estate is low densite so not sure why you would add this line unless you're trying to point out how it is going against any plans for centralised higher density accommodation.

However, Ireland is in the middle of a severe housing crisis, and we should be building as many houses as possible as quickly as possible. In a city that is already car-dependent, another tiny housing estate isn't going to make any significant difference to traffic, but will make a huge difference to those who are able to purchase their own homes.

...and this is why Ireland's housing and transport policies have been so shockingly poor. You identify a problem but because of another problem, it makes it ok to ignore the first problem. I can't believe that people still think this approach would work despite the decades of ample evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Has been planned for some time but as usual with public projects, no construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Makes sense, housing crisis, climate crisis, transport crisis, so scale down a central housing development right next to the city's station. So much stupidity and failure.

• Advertisement

Well yes and no. To be fair to the developer, and its a pattern with Galway City Center, the GCC will not develop a LAP for the center so developers are flying blind in terms of what is or is not acceptable. Same as anyone would, they apply for the max amount they think they can get and wait for the council planners to tell them where to scale back. A proper LAP would fix a lot of that.

To give you an idea of what I mean, the Titanic quarter in Belfast started with a LAP type document, masterplan I think they call it, and went from there. You can pull up that document and determine what is going to be where over the next 3 decades, the scale and type of them. Now I'm obviously not comparing like-with-like but it gives you an idea. GCC refuse to do that for some reason and they repeatedly get called out on it as it wastes so much resources, time and money for literally everyone involved, themselves included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hit the nail on the head here, same goes for the Headford Road and they are one of the big property owners there with the Dyke Road car park. Sometimes I think they are afraid of there own shadow at times, Council zone the land for the usage but that is about it, no detail.

Yeah, it'd be funny if it wasn't so stupid. Like an area will be zoned for mixed use or whatever its called, but that's it.

If you are a developer, does that mean you can have 20 storey buildings with a centra at the bottom or a 3 storey, with just the top floor being 2 penthouses and a gym on the bottom 2 floors or somewhere in between or none of the above lol. It's why new developments often look way off in terms of what should go into a location.

Anyway, back on topic, silly GCC for that housing site beside the potential route of the GCRR.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be a crap place to live for noise too if the GCRR ever got built. I've moved to Athlone and if you get anywhere near the bypass the noise starts to become very intrusive and is complained about on a regular basis by people close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The original tweet above attempts to draw a causative link between the GCRR and the housing estate, implying clearly that one lead to the other.

I'm not sure how developing this small estate nearly a decade before the GCRR is likely to open supports your argument about the GCRR and planning developments. To be honest, it's hard to see how anything other than a complete and total ban on development of any kind outside the centre of Galway could refute your claim that the GCRR will lead to sprawl, as any development outside Galway's current contours will be blamed on the road.

The GCRR is not the solution proposed for Galway's traffic. The Galway Transport Strategy, which includes extensive investment in active and public transport in Galway as well as taking road space away from cars, is the solution proposed for Galway's traffic. It includes the GCRR as one part of a much larger strategy. This has been pointed out so many times.

While I would prefer denser housing that is better connected to PT, a few houses aren't going to make any significant difference to Galway's traffic, but will make a huge difference to the lives of people who are able to buy their own home.

I'm not sure how developing this small estate nearly a decade before the GCRR is likely to open supports your argument about the GCRR and planning developments.

It's incredibly common for ribbon development to begin before the road infrastructe it is contingent upon is built. People buying those houses will be doing so in the belief that the GCRR will open (eventually), and I have no doubt the advertisements for the development will mention that the GCRR is planned to be nearby.

Did you miss all the development that preceded the N7 expansion? Or the development that preceded the M7 extension? Once a preferred route is identified, it's enough for developers to seize an opportunity and price a development higher because of a public expectation as to facilities it will one day have.

That happens in every country, and includes metro/rail expansion too - not just road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

@KrisW1001, can you elaborate on this point you made?

If you’ve driven in Waterford, Limerick or Cork, you'll see the big difference in road provision within the city limits: Galway has clearly used an American model of wide collector-distrubutors that slice through the inner suburbs, while both Limerick and Waterford* have followed a more European model of orbital relief routes and primary streets (not roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice

I think the new road must go through his garden....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice As it happens, I won't be affected by the construction in any way, but I visit Galway, and suffer the traffic every time I do; I'd like to see it properly addressed.

@Geuze my point is that Galway's road development is characterised by multilane collector/distributor roads that don't really bypass parts of the city, but instead draw neighbourhood and long-distance traffic onto them, and then redistribute that to other neighbourhoods. This is how suburban traffic design is done in the USA, particularly in the Western states where land is cheap, housing density is low, and cars the only available transport mode. This model fits well with Galway's outer suburbs, but breaks down when you approach the very compact core of the city: the core cannot absorb the traffic volumes that are being rammed into it. Western US cities do not have compact cores (San Francisco excepted, but to be honest, even SF is sparse by European standards), so the design pattern doesn't have to consider this; the people who decided to apply it to Galway really should have considered this fact, but hindsight is cheap, etc.

The other cities I mention took a different approach, based more on British, rather than American, practice: no high-capacity routes into the core, instead traffic is drawn out onto orbital routes. It's not ideal either, but it's a better model for urban centres that are a maze of relatively narrow streets (as every Irish city is).

I've spent a lot of time in California, and that means a lot of time driving in California, and Galway always reminds me of a Californian city in the way its road network is designed. Limerick's road network feels more British, and Waterford's more like an Italian or French town, with its concentric ring-roads, and the clearly zoned development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

By multilane collector / distributor roads, might you mean?

WDR

Bishop O'Donnell / Seamus Quirke

Seam Mulvoy

Bothar na Treabh from Menlo Park hotel to Coolagh roundabout

In Waterford, I am aware there is an outer ring road, and an inner ring.

Yes, those are the ones.

Waterford's Inner Ring is not much more than a single-carriageway relief road around the inner city; the Outer Ring is a (mostly) an urban 2+2 with at-grade roundabout junctions that orbits the city between the Waterford Bypass's single Waterford exit and the city's hospital (the N25 Waterford Bypass exit to the north of the River Suir is really not useful for accessing Waterford city itself - its main purpose is as an interchange with N24 and M9). The approach roads from the Outer Ring into Waterford itself are all single carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So, is this road still stuck in the courts? Havent had much of an update on it, in a while.

There's are three separate judicial reviews, none have been heard by the courts yet.

1 by Brooks Builders Merchants, 1 by Galway Racecourse and 1 by FIE (Friends of the Irish Environment).

Of the 3, the one I'd say is the most likely to succeed is the FIE one, those folks are seriously good in the courts and have won a number of high profile cases against the govt and its bodies.

Here's a bit from a TII presentation

It's kind of ridiculous that any infrastructure project in this country has to contend with years of legal challenges.

Apparently, the EU average in judicial reviews is about 20%, in Ireland its 95%, read that in the SBP last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Was amazed to see that Galway Racecourse took this action after all the years of "planning".

The "years" are caused by the lack of resources at all points of the process, planning, ABP, courts etc.

It's possible to do everything in months if everything is staffed correctly.

They are starting to fix that now.

Secondly, the likes of the SHD's process stripped away the opportunity to make submissions to planning applications at the Council level and left only the courts. In a surprise to no-one, stuff ended up in the courts.

• Advertisement

As I said, objections to the high court are now seen as a normal part of the planning process. There must be something wrong if 95% of projects like this go before a High Court for review compared to 20% in Europe.

Another stat I saw in the SBP was that 11 out of 40 High Court judges are fully occupied by these planning reviews, which is nuts. The government are going to set up a special planning court.

SDHs are a good thing IMO, because every crank and malcontent would be trying to put pressure on their councillors to stop building anything anywhere.

There is a very good reason why David McWilliams call use the BANANA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There must be something wrong if 95% of projects like this go before a High Court for review compared to 20% in Europe.

Perhaps in Europe they actually take people's concerns & input onboard before submitting to planning.

There is next to no community engagement or interaction for most of these large projects, and most end up having some significant issues that any local could have told you about instantly. Same thing goes for LA developments too. residents should not have supreme power over their locality, but they are the significant stakeholders in the community and they tend to know what would work and what wont in the area better than anyone.

Perhaps in Europe they actually take people's concerns & input onboard before submitting to planning.

Not at all. Big Infrastructure projects in places like Spain are just done, with little concern for those on the ground. Ireland has a big thing about private property, which much of the rest of continental Europe doesn't have.

Engagement is fine and welcome, but often locals think engagement is actually stopping the project or, rerouting entire roads, railways or housing away from their area. i.e. dump the problem elsewhere.

See M28 or Dublin Bus Connects as examples.

objections to the high court are now seen as a normal part of the planning process.

When no other avenue is open to you, of course its the option used.

The fact that so many challenges are successful is telling

Correlation does not mean causation.

You should be aware of that given you were hopping mad over the Strand Road injunction.

Correlation does not mean causation

Acknowledged, that comment was more of a "btw" than anything else.

You cannot launch a Judicial Review of a planning decision on the basis of what was granted, it has to be on how that approval was decided. There is a definite causal relationship here: if a large share of judicial challenges are successful it means that the planning process is not thorough enough in complying with the various laws that govern planning in this country.

That lack of thoroughness is due to a lack of resources at An Bord Pleanála. If we gave them more people to double- and triple- check their work, then the opportunities for Judicial Review will drop dramatically. It would also get projects through planning quicker.

But Judicial Review itself is the planning equivalent of smashing shop windows - makes the complainants feel like they’ve had their revenge, but achieves nothing much in the end. Most projects that are bounced back to APB by a JR eventually get built as planned, because the JR process can do nothing to address the concerns with what was given planning approval; all it does is stop the whole project going ahead while the planning returns to APB to have the correct i’s dotted and t’s crossed. It adds only a delay which serves nobody - a classic example of letting perfection be the enemy of good. And I say this as someone who is mostly against the N6 Ring Road project: it's a crap project, but given that it has become the de-facto gating project for the necessary public transport improvements in Galway, delaying it further is making Galwegians the pawns in someone else’s righteous wars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most judicial reviews are taken on technical elements of environmental law, and overturned successfully because environmental law is exceedingly complex and fast moving, and dotting is and crossing ts for every minor facet is difficult, costly and time consuming. Judicial reviews aren’t taken for the initial objections such as height, built to rent, overbearing etc.

Take the M28 as a roads based example. The group objecting to the plan were objecting about a motorway going through their residential area with objections based on noise, traffic volumes, chemicals going on fire etc. Their judicial review was based on the environmental impacts on wildlife in a quarry more than 5km away from where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

There is indeed something wrong with the planning process and that's exactly what was being addressed in the article that you mention.

Planning system overhaul will see High Court judges asked to vet judicial reviews more strictly | Business Post

"High Court judges will be asked to vet judicial reviews more strictly to prevent spurious cases as part of a major overhaul of Ireland’s planning system, the Business Post can reveal.

Other changes proposed as part of the planning reforms include the establishment of a new climate and maritime unit for renewable energy applications in An Bord Pleanála, while a court dedicated to planning and environmental issues will also be set up in 2023."

• Advertisement

High Court judges will be asked to vet judicial reviews more strictly to prevent spurious cases as part of a major overhaul of Ireland’s planning system,

This is a good move imho.

Take, for example, the Apple DC case in Athenry. 3 JR's, of which only 2 were legit. The 3rd was from a landowner in Wicklow who wanted them to use his land. That one was rightly thrown out but should have been done at a far earlier stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement