Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

Good call on the VHI cover, we hadn't yet booked travel insurance and we're potentially not going to but combined they are good value especially as it is an annual policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭10-10-20

These links which I have accumulated might be handy for some of the long-distance travellers.

Fuel prices:

https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr - French Government site for fuel prices.

https://www.carburants.org/prix-carburants/ - Crowd-sourced fuel prices.

Route planning on the day of travel:

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/Realtime-traffic-information.htm - French Autoroutes traffic info. They also provide a journey planner, weather, toll-rates and traffic forecast based on date/time.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/key-rates.htm - From this page you can be brought to the webpage of the individual regional autoroute service-provider (there are 6 or more). From their webpages you should then be able to explore the autoroute service-areas as some have very few services, while others can have lake-side restaurants or charging facilities.

https://about-france.com/motorway-services.htm - This site can have good info, but in terms of routing across France it is very British-traveller centric.

https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/index,langen.html - The "Bison Fute" in French motoring terms is based around the concept of a herd who charge down to the South of France (or any holiday destination) en-masse and cause massive traffic-jams, etc. The "Bison Fute" on the other hand is the smart bison who uses their intelect to avoid the log-jam by selecting less travelled routes or travel-times to avoid being part of the herd. As such this site provides you with a coloured map of the regions on the basis of departures and returns (journeys) on a particular day. For example, if you were to select Saturday the 9th of July as a travel-day, the whole of France is marked as red or black for people departing for other locations, hence the overall traffic-load will be "exceptionnel". It's handy

Emission zones (ZFE-m):

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/ - Official site for purchasing Crit'Air vehicle passes for any of the 8 affected areas:

• l’agglomération parisienne (40 communes dont Paris) ;
    • la Métropole de Grenoble (27 communes dont Grenoble) ;
    • la Métropole de Lyon ;
    • Rouen-Normandie ;
    • Reims ;
    • Nice-Côte d'Azur ;
    • Toulouse ;
    • Saint-Etienne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We stayed in Sol a GoGo for two years in a row 2018 and 2019. The kids would've been 8 and 5 the last time we were there. It's a gorgeous little campsite with a lovely kids section in the pool. Direct access to the beach and the cycle/foot path runs all the way into St Jean De Monts. I can't recommend it enough for younger kids.

Booked into Le Pin Parasol this year. It's obviously out on its own but with the kids a little older we're hoping for a little less active type of holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Looking for recommendations for a throwaway sim to use in an old phone as a hotspot for kids. Best I can see is Vodafone x for €20 which was 30gb of roaming data. All others seem to have less than half that data. Anyone any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

U can buy Sims over in France in kiosks in supermarche. Better network using a French one I believe. That's my plan this yr.

• Advertisement

The ones I looked at are dearer though and don’t have as much gigs. They have good deals on bill pay but that wouldn’t be any use. Wanted it for the car journey too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can't they hotspot off a parent's phone on the Irish side and the French side since you'll be all together in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Are the Irish Sims bad to use over in France ?

Define 'bad'? They are typically functional - up until they run out of data allowance and such. As mentioned in previous posts, there may be issues with access within busy campsites (due to roaming devices having a lower "quality of service" metric on the cell towers), but I have not had data issues generally.

4g seems to be non existent in most tourist areas for Irish Sims. Service is functional I have found. Gonna get a French SIM this yr and see is there a difference. That's if I can find 1 with good data. 3 yrs since I last looked.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. Yea by bad I meant functional.

Post here if you do, please! With two 'kids' on phones for 2.5 weeks, that's a real unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

I've tried Irish Vodafone and Three sims for data in French campsites and neither have been great. Would be interested in any French options, they all seemed very expensive last time I checked(about 3 years ago).

I used the Irish Vodafone sim in the middle of Nice(city centre) and it was perfect.

Not going till beginning of August, but if it's still an option I'll post up the info👍🏼

With the staffing issues and queues we see with the DAA, is there any risk of that spreading to the ports, ferries ?

Pretty much nope, the DAA doesn't "manage" the ports, and even if it did the volumes of traffic are totally different so the effect wouldn't be a 5 hour queue outside the ferry terminal.

They might be slow enough in checking passports on the return, but that's minor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

No chance, the logistics alone in turning away vehicles would make it a non runner.

I have to say, in light of the current DAA situation, its making me really miss the ease of hopping on the Pont Aven in Cork. (we're fly/drive this year)

After going direct Rosslare-Cherbourg last June, we're back to Landbridge this year, €290 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Which runs the risk of having a 'Dublin Airport' experience in an English port instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Chalk and cheese.

The ferries/ports have been busier than ever since Brexit became a reality on Jan 1st, 2021, and staffed accordingly.

Dublin Airport was a ghost town for 2 years, with travellers risking arrest by the Gardai, and about 33% of staff took an early retirement package designed to save the DAA wage bills.

So you have a perfect storm, greatly understaffed, replacements not yet trained/ security cleared yet, and a significant number of those who were rostered for Sunday morning rang in sick.

Overdid it drowning their sorrows after the cup final Saturday night, and not fit to get out of bed for work.. .

That's the thing we like about land bridge, especially on the way out. The frequency of crossings reminds me of how it used to be flying Dublin-Heathrow with Aer Lingus back in the noughties. If you were early for your flight, they'd put you on an earlier one back home if there was room. If you were delayed coz of swans crossing the road at Slough, no problem, on the next flight. It's the same with the Chunnel.

As regards on the way back, I can't for the life of me imagine a backlog/queue at Holyhead for the 20:30. North Wales is practically deserted and from Conwy on, it's often only fellow boat cars on the road with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

As there were, unusually in our experience, three other cats on the crossing last Tuesday I thought I’d give an update in case anyone else wants to know!

The cattery now seems permanently located in the staff only corridor I mentioned in the previous post though it feels a lot less temporary than it did. There are four bigger metal cages on the bottom easily capable of accommodating the provided litter tray, your own cat bed & still have space for dishes & cat. I think there were also four smaller cages on top, similar to those on the OW.

Water, litter, litter tray, litter scoops, clean food dishes & bins are provided which is a huge improvement on 2019, when we last used the WB.

The area is cooler & a lot less noisy. A better experience all round for the cats & their humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't think it would be a problem returning home, but I would be deterred from traveling to Dover when I see those miles of tailbacks with HGVs etc.

OT, but are people bringing their cats on their summer holidays?

I always though that cats were primarily territorial and would try strongly to return to their home are if moved to another location.

Whereas dogs are pack oriented and are ok to bring to new places as long as their pack (family) is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Hi there,

We are going to France this summer. First time doing the whole ferry, drive, campsite holiday. We are sailing from Cork to Roscoff. Can someone tell me what time we need to join the queue for the ferry? We sail at 4pm I think or 4.30.

Also,does anyone know when Brittany ferries will release the sailings for june/July 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that means go to wales, cross over the channel?

How does the 290 break down? thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From memory, check in closes about an hour before the ferry heads off. If your sailing is at 4pm then I'd aim to be there about 2-2:30pm. You'll be on the boat, travel bag taken from the car up to your cabin and out on deck feeling excited before you know it.

When you actually board the ferry will depend on your vehicle type/height and where they plan on putting your vehicle.

Yes, Dublin - Holyhead or Rosslare Fishguard, nearly always with Stena. Then there are a choice of routes across the Channel if heading to west coast of France. But the shorter western routes have longer less frequent sailing times = more pressure to make the sailing time. So the tunnnel is the preferred route for us. Especially since 2 of our passengers would get sick on the Ballyhack ferry. Only downside is you never know what the M25 around London will be like. Sometimes we same-day it from Dublin, 08:30 ferry and stay at a hotel an hour or two into France, but this year we've got to do the Anfield stadium tour on the way so will overnight in Liverpool :( Usually pick up the sister-in-law and nephew somewhere in France on our way to the coast. Another advantage of landbridge is that we booked it last week, so if there's any uncertainty about your plans, it gives you flexibility. But the long driving isn't for everyone, especially small kids and we only started doing it again when our youngest turned 5.

I'll check with my wife how the 290 breaks down, it's for a car and 4 pax. The dog is €27 extra on top of the €290.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that us for the channel crossing?

The car to holly head is 400-500?

So a thousand total? A long drive of course, probably not for the kids

Advertisement