Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

For me as an adult, I'd much prefer to drive off-motorway in France and see the local regions and rubber neck the nuances. However when we need to cover distance, the motorways are a no-brainer. I suspect with 3 kids under 8, they're not going to be oohing and aahing French villages. Especially on a Sunday.

The submarine is fantastic, but awkward if you have very small children and they may not like the cramped, smell environs. Machine Des L'iles was excellent and with more space at your disposal, it's not as restrictive for little 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

I much prefer going across country and have done that journey loads of times. There are some lovely towns and villages to see, Huelgoat and Auray to name a few, le pont de saint nazaire is spectacular to cross.

Bear in mind arriving at that hour (maybe on a Sunday?), there will be nothing open for a while. Travelling with the young ones, you may need to plot food stops etc. we usually stopped in Vannes, big supermarket shopping centre, McDonald’s etc just off motorway but again depending on what time you are passing it may not be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

Thanks for the advice, yeah we are on the Thursday morning arrival in Roscoff sailing. And as mentioned above, we are in no rush to the campsite as checking in mid afternoon.

Could commuter traffic on a Thursday 8am to 10 am around Rennes be bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Rennes isn't known to be the worst, it has a good ring-road and right now (10am CET) the ring is showing green on Google Maps.

I find Nantes to be a little worse as the population is higher and the hinterland is more dense.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Worth noting that even if you arrive earlier than the check-in time the campsite will likely allow you access to the facilities (pool, playground, bar etc). You just won't be able to access your mobile home.

Hanging out at the pool probably more preferable to a longer drive with young kids.

Just pack the pool stuff into a separate bag that's easily accessible in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

@Jack0125

We've done Sol A GoGo on our 2 most recent visits to France. It's a brilliant campsite especially for younger kids.

I see some other posts about disembarking in Roscoff at 7am - generally it's quick enough. One year we were last off the boat and it took ages - someone has to be. I think it may have been down to over enthusiastic French immigration checks though.

We normally hit the motorway to Rennes on to Nantes and then on to St Hilaire de Riez. We bring a few snacks to have in the car because there's no time for breakfast when the alarm goes off at 6:30. We normally stop in McDonalds in Rennes which ordinarily is a bit earlier than we'd like but everyone's happy. We head straight then. All going well, the kids will be in the pool by 3pm!

On the way back up we normally take scenic route. Found it difficult to kill a few hours in Roscoff with small kids so we plan our arrival to tie in with the ferry time - we stop for lunch in Carnac or Trinite Sur Mer and the head cross country through Brittany, which is a lovely drive.

Edit: subsequently saw you're on the mid week sailing. My experience is on Sunday arrivals so traffic could be very different on motorways at that time.

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Motorways are great, saves time and are easier for driving. But the normal roads are fine in essence. You arrive early on a Sunday morning, on the road for 7.30 ish, and I have used them more often than not to get to St. Jean De Monts. I have yet to meet any traffic jams to be honest and the driving is fairly easy. The kids normally fall asleep quickly enough too, always a help. Arriving at lunchtime to the site, most campsite operators won't be ready for you anyway, so you will probably have to wait anyway. A lot of the supermarkets close early on Sunday, so make sure to pack a few essentials. Take away on site is always a good idea for the Sunday as you get settled in. I'll be taking the normal roads again in July.

Edit: I see you are during the week. Traffic might then be an issue. Take the motorway.

The one thing I really wish I knew for my first trip to JdM/SGCdV was the fact that the little SuperU in des Mouettes opens on Sundays. We raced into a supermarket in Nantes to get essential supplies thinking there would nowhere open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah, it's not even that little. Opens until 2 o'clock I think in high season. Nice little gate out the side of Le Clarys Plage to it's carpark too, saves a longer walk carrying the beer😁

• Advertisement

I think it's open all day. You're right though, it's not that small!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

How did you find Le Pin Parasol? We have booked there this year. First time doing France and will have a 7 and 2 year old with us. Any tips or suggestions?

It's a good warning though, many - if not most - French supermarkets don't open on a Sunday and arriving down on a Saturday evening, too jaded from the long drive to see a shop, leads to very hungry Sundays. It used to be worse, petrol stations often only opened on Sunday mornings, well after an Irish lie-in! Now a lot of them are automated. Google Maps really is a godsend in that respect.

Just in relation to a conversation in another thread I noticed that the 4G coverage in some of the campsites can be very poor - Les Charmettes has been like a black-hole for me, even if I moved to the strongest network. SFR appears to be exceptionally weak in most locations where I visit. Of course this suits the campsite WiFi providers as they sell the WiFi access packages, but it's just another expense which we could do without.

Anyhow, on this map you can see what provider is the best, which may be handy for some:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I sent them a message on the web chat and they said "we can only insure UK registered vehicles". Irish ferries used to have it as an add on, but don't seem to do it anymore. Allianz don't do it anymore.

www.theaa.ie is quoting me 129 for a little over 2 weeks. I'm leaning towards it in case something happened wth kids and you need to get the car home.

I just got quoted €223.00 by the AA for 18 days with a 10 year old vehicle. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Grand Metairie in Carnac is the same - great 4G in the town, just outside where the campsite is located is a total dead spot. It's almost like they're blocking the signal to get people to buy their WiFi service... 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

People roaming on networks abroad are often/usually/always given a lower QoS (~ internet speed) than domestic subscribers. So although a French MNO might have good coverage in an area, Paddy Foreigner won't necessarily see it. Buying a local sim for an MNO with good coverage would be more reliable, but you may need to get your phone unlocked. Unlock codes can take weeks to get from operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Does anyone have recent experience of travelling with a cat on the WB? In 2019, our last time on the ship, the cat kennel was very makeshift as they’d realised it’s location was too close to the dogs area & they’d moved it temporarily into a staff only corridor. It was fine as our cat was the only one travelling that trip but obviously not ideal. I understand it’s now located on deck 4 so I’m wondering what it’s like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

The WB Yeats used to have a microwave that passengers could use. Does anyone know if it's still available to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Most of the larger supermarches I have seen have a kiosk that sells Sims. If I remember correctly (3yrs ago) cc was all that was required. I've been lucky till now with locations and company phones that I wasn't bothered about how much data I used.. I'll see this year how we fair out. But I also feel that somehow foreign networks were been restricted on French networks... Easily done I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yes. Seen at Easter back of the "pizza" lounge (Lafayette?)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

We are heading off first time ever on the ferry to France with car - cannot wait, reading away here getting all the tips.

Sorry to ask a covid related question.... We will be travelling with an unvaccinated 12 year old, am I right in saying we will need a negative pcr test for him entering france? Any chance that the rules will change before July?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

As things currently stand for an unvaccinated 12yr old you would need either a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to departure or a negative Anitgen test within 48 hours prior to departure in order to enter France.

What the entry regulations will be in July is anybody’s guess!!!

Hard to know what the rules will be in July. France took Covid restrictions pretty seriously so I'd be inclined to think there'll be no change.

I'm still having problems with getting breakdown assistance for a reasonable price. It's not covered under my FBD policy.

I tried the AA again just today (with the same details) and my quote is now €203, down from €223...for some reason.

I also tried https://www.carprotect.ie/help - but has anybody ever read their FAQ??? Complete waffle? Obviously not a serious provider!

When I price similar cover on https://www.eurobreakdown.com (UK reg'd vehicles only) I have an option of cover from £42 (basic), £67 (mid) and £104 (full), so I'd expect to be able to obtain coverage on a 10 year old car here for around €100.

Does anybody have any other providers which are giving reasonable prices (and realistic websites)?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

VHI Multitrip with breakdown is €189 for 2 adults and 1 child aged under 20. (The holiday insurance is 114 with 75e for breakdown) . Considering we need holiday insurance the 75e for breakdown isn't too bad.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I didn't realise there was an option of motor breakdown within their Multitrip policy.

Limited enough though!

• European Motor Breakdown Maximum Benefit
    • Legal protection - €1,250
    • Vehicle repatriation - Full (up to market value of Insured Vehicle)
    • Vehicle replacement - €1,000
    • Cover prior to departure - €1,000
    • Vehicle out of use - €1,000
    • Roadside assistance - €300
    • Break-in emergency repairs - €250

Advertisement