Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s not the plan though. The frequencies are all laid out already.

The NTA were fully aware of the issue but were digging their heels in on it when the final plan was published, despite the majority of 33 users from north county Dublin continuing beyond Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Either have Dublin Bus operate that or have Dublin Bus operate both the L1 and L2 circular routes in North Wicklow and have GAI operate the L85. I think someone suggested a while back that it would make more sense to have DB operate both the 33 and 33a and have GAI operate both the 84/a and 184.

Running an all day service from NCD to the city centre isn't part of the plan either but as you rightly suggest it could become part of a political battle. Also the L85 is supposed to terminate at the Airport not Swords.

There have already been slight tweaks to the plan that had been supposedly set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭TranslatorPS

My money, were I a betting man, would be on your first solution: L1/L2 in DB, L85 in GAI. Keeps the senior men in Bray garage happy, which is probably one of the reasons why the 84 stayed in DB - it's one of the most senior routes in the company altogether.

I know I said a few posts higher that Skerries shed is really DB's problem, and hence I shouldn't be bringing Bray garage into it now, but I do think that GAI getting the L85 mileage and PVR in lieu of the 184/L1/L2 is the better solution. GAI will probably keep the 102/L81 and 33B/L83 as well, and with the L81 meant to operate f-20, I think that will probably balance out. Worst case scenario, the L14 will go to GAI and they'll keep the 185/L15, and I would suspect the L3 will go to whoever gets L1/L2.

Personally, and I might have said it here before, I might have not, I do strongly believe that the likes of Rush, Lusk, Skerries, and Balbriggan are WAY too far from Dublin to be getting a direct service like that, much like Greystones, Newtownmountkennedy, Kilcoole, and Newcastle are, and frankly so is Blessington, except that one doesn't have a rail alternative. Otherwise we might as well make BÉ's 103 to Ratoath part of the city network. It's political, yet these are locations that in any other capital would be fed to a rail link that would take them there far less time than the bus would - and now that most of these locations are within the 90 minute transfer fare, well.... it's just my opinion though.

------

Another worthwhile topic: with the G Spine reportedly next, which I understand will comprise of the G1, G2, and the 60 in this phase, does anybody have any inkling as to whether G1 will receive 24/7 service, or will the 25N stay in place for now? (Hopefully the 29N and 31N eventually disappear in favour of some H1/H3 night service, even if f-60.)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Under DART+ all those areas are to be served by DART, therefore my point still stands

Judging by the launch of the C Spine, both the G1 and G2 will most likely be 24 hours, which will definitely result in the 25n being scrapped. Not sure about night service on the H Spine tho. Can't imagine the folks over at Clontarf being too happy about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The trains for DART+ will be bi-mode (i.e. battery packs and OHLE). That would not be an issue for DART+NC.

I want to move away from about the 33 at the moment. There was an announcement by a FG councillor in Dun Laoghaire on Twitter yesterday that Georges St in Dun Laoghaire will become fully pedestrianized on a permanent basis from next summer in 2023.

Summer 2023 is also coinciding with the rollout of the E-Spine which has the E2 from Charlestown to Dun Laoghaire.

Here's the tweet showing the announcement yesterday.

That poster is clearly referring to the Northern Line post-electrification under the DART+ Coastal North project.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, as the network is pretty much decided at this stage, but as I say I suspect the cancellation of the 33 service linking North County Dublin with the City and its replacement with connecting buses will probably be the most controversial part of the revised network.

I mentioned Swords in my post above, as Swords is the more likely changeover location for people travelling to/from points along the R132 corridor - who would want to extend their journey time even more by taking a tour of the Airport campus when going to Lusk and beyond? Don't get me wrong, the L85 should be going to the Airport from Balbriggan, but it's the longer journeys that are the issue.

What may well become a political hot potato is the potential for long waits on the northbound trip due to lower frequency of buses going north of Swords (every 30 mins). Capacity is the other issue, as the 33 regularly carries loads of 2/3 full through Swords.

Personally, and I might have said it here before, I might have not, I do strongly believe that the likes of Rush, Lusk, Skerries, and Balbriggan are WAY too far from Dublin to be getting a direct service like that, much like Greystones, Newtownmountkennedy, Kilcoole, and Newcastle are, and frankly so is Blessington, except that one doesn't have a rail alternative. Otherwise we might as well make BÉ's 103 to Ratoath part of the city network. It's political, yet these are locations that in any other capital would be fed to a rail link that would take them there far less time than the bus would - and now that most of these locations are within the 90 minute transfer fare, well.... it's just my opinion though.

The 33 and 65 probably should have been transferred to Bus Éireann at the same time as the 66 to/from Kilcock was, but they weren't and we are stuck with where we are now in that regard. But I think that you really would need to be aware of the travel patterns before saying that they shouldn't have any direct bus services.

When rail is mentioned as an alternative, which indeed the NTA did as well, it's important that in the context of Rush and Lusk, the railway is not an alternative for anyone who doesn't drive, as Rush & Lusk railway station is a reasonable distance from both towns, and even further for most of the housing estates, whereas the bus passes most of them close by, and you also have the issue that the railway doesn't go anywhere near the points along the R132 corridor that are served by the bus.

We shall see how things pan out....

Moving on from the future 33 fiasco...

Today is the official launch date for the N4 and N6. How's the rollout for them gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Not a perfect start when searching from the Dublin Bus website homepage currently states that the N4 runs between Sandymount and Adamstown........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The N6 displays currently have Drogheda Mall as the destination for Finglas bound buses (it's the name of the final stop), I can definitely see that being changed soon.

Apologies for getting off-topic, but why is there a shopping centre called Drogheda Mall in FINGLAS and not Drogheda?

Same reason there's a Kildare Street and a Wicklow Street in Dublin I'm guessing. Anyway having Drogheda Mall and not Finglas Village or simply Finglas makes zero sense.

I didn't consider the G2 for 24-hour operation solely on the basis of the Galway-themed 79 estates not having a night-time equivalent. I'd rather expect the D3 would have a night service for Clondalkin.

The 33 and 65 probably should have been transferred to Bus Éireann at the same time as the 66 to/from Kilcock was, but they weren't and we are stuck with where we are now in that regard. But I think that you really would need to be aware of the travel patterns before saying that they shouldn't have any direct bus services.

Any existing travel patterns will be a result of the existing network being so accommodating in that regard. That's one of the pitfalls of designing anything from scratch. Anyway, the 65 was included as an extreme example: for not having an alternative service, be it with BÉ or with rail, it should maintain some sort of a direct service into the city centre (otherwise I should start disputing a lot of the regional BÉ network), but the others have alternatives, and as I'd stated before, they are an extreme that wouldn't be accommodated as such in most other capitals.

RTPI or bus scrolls?

The travel pattern that I’m referring to is that the majority of 33 users from Rush and Lusk are going to beyond Swords or the Airport to points along the R132, which is the natural route they would take being the main road to the city and DCU etc.which means they are forcing the majority of people to change which doesn’t really make sense especially given the low frequency.

Given the large numbers of new housing developments in the two towns, bus usage is going up.

Again, there is no alternative for Rush or Lusk unless you can drive to the railway station. It is not practical for people who do not drive given how far away the housing estates are from the railway station, which is in the middle of nowhere.

Have a look at Google maps and see where the housing estates are in the two towns and then look at streetview along the road to the station, because I don’t think you’re too familiar with the lie of the land out there by the sounds of things.

With changes like this, you don’t set out to brush existing users up the wrong way, and I’m struggling to see how you can possibly think that changing a direct bus into a local one that could lead to a 30 minute wait en route is in any way an improvement.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Perhaps they could reroute some of the Xpressos to serve the R132 instead of the M50. Sure, it might defeat the purpose of them if that were to happen, though it is probably the slap-dash solution that I can imagine the NTA implementing

The N4 was working well this morning with plenty of people along the route giving it a good look. The bus I sampled had passengers using it from Point Village.

On the buses themselves, seen a few photos on Facebook showing Drogheda Mall as the destination

The NTA are making the same mistake again as they did with the original H Spine route destination displays.

The NTA really need to grasp that the stop names are not appropriate, and that in fact they need a second database of generalised location names for the destination displays on buses and also on the timetable headers so that someone who has no idea of the network can have some hope of understanding where the bus is going.

"Drogheda Mall" is so vague, it's a nonsense.

"Finglas Village" or "Main Street, Finglas" would be FAR better.

Exactly, it makes no sense for the timetables to be in the format "towards [name of last stop]". Now, in a lot of cases the stop name is at least somewhat relevant to the actual destination (i.e. Rialto Chruch), but more often than not, the last stop name is pretty vague

• Advertisement

Also, slightly OT but bringing back up the integrated TFI customer care - I assume this will cover all PSO operated services (& the respective operators)?

I have a rather decent idea as to what the area looks like out there, as I have gone out to see and travel the 33s a few times. It's my fault for not being clear earlier - my comments regarding direct 33s into town focused on Skerries and Balbriggan as the two towns really far out, rather than Rush and Lusk. There is no right answer to this ideological debate here, but my base opinion doesn't change.

For the record, I don't consider that an improvement - never said I did - but merely argued my overall stance that happens to be in line with the envisioned network.

Do you think there would honestly be enough numbers to warrant a more frequent service out there though? Disregarding the "changing northbound in Skerries" waiting, just on pure passenger loads. Perhaps f-20 in the peaks, but otherwise?

(Also, resources are finite.)

No, it's more that the stop naming approach isn't good enough. Termini should be named with neighbourhoods/districs/villages, and intermediate stops should then use streets and nearby amenities. This way there can be thorough consistency across all aspects of passenger information.

The problem is that destination scroll programming is done usually as a completely separate exercise using separate software by the Operator, so somebody in GAI didn't think this one through. Well, then again, I should argue that it's programmed to match the stop name, perfect, except the stop name is useless, so not perfect at all. What's more, Dublin Bus have already uploaded the G1/G2 scrolls onto their buses.

You would have to hope so wouldn’t you?

But I’ll not hold my breath!

I certainly would agree with your thoughts with regards to Balbriggan (which has the train and the 101) and to a lesser extent Skerries, but the main loadings on the 33 travelling beyond Swords and the Airport are from Rush and Lusk and they really don't have the alternatives given the remote nature of the railway station.

Also agreed on the stop naming / destination displays.

To be honest, there is one solution that I think would satisfy both of us here.

L85 as proposed - f-40, however. Then, some sort of an all-day limited-stop route from Rush to Dublin city centre - X85? seeing as the 33X replacement will be X76 - serving all stops until say M1 Junction 4, then limited stop in Swords, something by the Airport, Santry Villas (the new N6 stops), Omni, and then all stops from Whitehall church to Abbey Street. Base frequency f-40 (I'd imagine 5 daytime buses would do the job in a 3h20 lap, roughly 1h40 each way) all day coordinated to make f-20 between Swords and Rush with the L85, with more frequent services in peak hours.

The idea behind keeping L85 is to provide all the local connections along the coast much like the 33s do. Those who just don't make the X85 can still catch an L85 and connect to an A4 or a 22 in Swords, and vice-versa. Direct airport connections are maintained by the L85, but the L83 and to a lesser extent the L81 are also there in Swords, in a pinch (say, coming off the X85).

Mind you, it's a rather roundabout proposal for this problem, and it's also interesting to note that the frequency table doesn't propose an X1/X2 equivalent to daytime services of the 84X, so if this could ever be implemented (doubt it), it could become the only interpeak limited-stop route in the network.

On the topic of destination displays, I do think the eastbound N6 scroll is brilliant here >> https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1530893840525279232/photo/1 >> for combining both a neighbourhood and the terminus stop name.

Given that the location of many of the housing estates in Rush are on the Skerries Road almost halfway up the hill to Loughshinney Cross, I suspect that you'd run have to any such service to/from Skerries, as there is no suitable turning point along that road.

It's not easily done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What destination is displayed on the N6 when it's going to Howth Junction/Kilbarrack? I had a look at the TFI Live app just now and it gave the name "Naomh Barrog GAA, Kilbarrack" in the app.

For pig iron, I managed a circular orbital trip early this morning, with reasonably tight connections using:

N4 - Point Village-Blanchardstown (1 hour)

L52 - Blanchardstown SC - Lucan Village (21 mins)

L54 - Lucan Village - Red Cow LUAS (27 mins)

LUAS - Red Cow - Tallaght (8 mins)

175 - Tallaght LUAS - UCD (57 mins)

All told about 3 hours 30 mins from Point Village to UCD going "orbital"!

The additional of the orbital routes will make a huge difference to getting around.

It was good to see people using the L52 (which I would much prefer to see running every 30 mins) and the new L54 too.

There were several using the N4 over the new section of route too.

I was struck by how many stops along Collins Avenue had shifted closer to junctions with Spine corridors, which is important, and also the road works that seem to never end at Blanchardstown at the N3/Snugborough Road intersection. An enjoyable spin with a coffee thrown in en route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

I did a less ambitious East-West (N6) and West-East (N4) tour today and it all ran very smoothly. All bus stops were updated; some with extra info temporarily tied to the stop. I didn't time the buses coming in the opposite direction but they seemed to be very frequent. Some passengers were asking "where is the 17A" but seemed happy enough when driver explained the change to them.

It was noticeable when the driver on the N6 paused for a bit longer at some stops, presumably to maintain the individual stop schedule.

Collins avenue (N4) was a bit congested at Whitehall and this tends to be much more congested during the week, presumably this has already been taken into account in the stop schedules and/or will be updated after a few real measurements are taken.

Advertisement