Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Surprised at this. I used the service twice and it was quiet both times:

https://twitter.com/corkairport/status/1529137575079948297?s=21&t=ETTmVd4cE5FWm54lrM5FdA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I flew out on the 12th - no fancy new x-ray machines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

More chaotic scenes in dublin airport again today. If cork airport cant capitalize on this they never will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭thomil

There won't be an immediate effect as it takes months or years to get a new airline to start serving an airport, or even for an existing one to start a new route, between feasibility studies, market analysis, commercial negotiations, fleet planning, etc.

Having said that, I'm sure that a number of airlines will start taking a closer look at other Irish airports in the wake of this and I'm equally sure that the route development team at Cork airport are getting their marketing package up to speed as well. And to be fair, between attracting the likes of Air France, Swiss, Lufthansa, getting Vueling to go year round on the Paris Orly route, or getting KLM to park one of their aircraft overnight in Cork for the twice daily Amsterdam flight, they have been doing a cracking job in recent years, far better than public perception gives them credit for.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Yes i know it not going to be immediate. But for next summer onwards should be gaining for the whole mess. Its not just airlines directly the need to go after but encourage the likes of the travel department, sunways etc to put on more packages from the airport. The more the airport is in peoples minds the better chance of more custom. Im sitting here looking at the TDactive pullout in todays sunday indo and every tour advertised is from dublin. Now fair enough cork doesnt have a flight to morocco etc but would be nice to have departure options for shannon cork etc

• Advertisement

I don't think package holidays are the way forward at all. That market is shrinking and increasingly volatile, just look at how many package-first airlines have gone under in recent years, even before the pandemic: Thomas Cook, Monarch, Germania, LTU/Air Berlin, XL Airways, and those are just the ones that immediately spring to mind.

From what I can see, Cork's best bet is to increase flights to European hubs such as Frankfurt or CDG with the large network carriers and alliances, as well as attracting one of the big players from the Middle East to feed flights into one of their hubs. The best bet here would likely be Turkish Airlines with a flight to Istanbul, as they have aircraft that can safely operate into Cork Airport, unlike Emirates. Etihad would be another option, but I'm not sure whether their A321s have the "legs" to make it from Cork to Abu Dhabi. The important part here is to increase the number of airlines operating into Cork to make the airport less vulnerable to Ryanair throwing a hissy fit or Aer Lingus fully abandoning the regional airports in favour of Dublin, the latter of which I fear is only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Airlines are not going to look at other airports because of security delays at Dublin Airport.

It might redirect passengers 1st and hopefully knock one effects of routes served

I wouldn't bet on that. If these issues persist and lead to ongoing operational issues for airlines, said airlines will start looking for alternatives. If an airline starts experiencing ongoing delays because the aircraft returning from Dublin is not available in time to operate its next flight, they will think twice whether it is still worth the hassle to fly to Dublin and will start looking at alternatives, including other airports in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork needs to look at the hub airports and then cities with good transport connections. Sonewhere like Prague or Vienna covers you for multiple cities with train/bus journeys.

Prague can cover you for Prague, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest and you're looking at 4 to 5 hours between there and those cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Through security in Cork in a few minutes this evening.

There was a woman in front of me who bussed down from Dublin Airport after failing to get her flight this morning!

No fancy x-ray machines.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

@the beer revolu - when you say "no fancy x-ray machines", do you mean in Dublin or Cork.? According to cantalach they were in place in Cork when they travelled on 21st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yep, I travelled on Mon 16th. Everything stayed in bag. Just to be clear though, the machines look the same externally. Presumably the upgrade is to the hardware and software within.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks for clarifying - hoping to travel out of Cork soon and just wanted to make sure.

Cork Airport.

Liquids and laptops had to come out and I saw a slightly oversized (looked 100ml to me) cosmetics bottle being taken from someone.

It would seem to be back to the old ways again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I travelled on Sunday 15th and the usual stuff had to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

wow..... so they in same situation as Dublin then!!

Shannon. Donegal and Kerry ahead of the DAA in forward thinking! Who would have thought it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I really don’t know what way it all operates. Maybe it’s a training issue. Who knows. All I can tell you is my experience. Circa 6:15 that morning of 16th, everyone going through was being told quite firmly, “please don’t remove anything from your bag.”

All very strange.

On 15th, it was the old system.

New system on 16th.

But back to the old system by 29th.

Did anyone fly out between the 16th and the 29th?

I seem to recall seeing something about a security audit. Perhaps the new security system failed an audit and they reverted to the old ways while reviewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭omicron

Flew out on the 20th, very strictly on the old system, laptops and liquids out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same for us flying out 24th May

People there specifically guiding us saying the old style stuff of electronics, liquids etc on display

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Perhaps they've had one new machine installed and were in a testing phase? I don't think these machines are just a software upgrade, I thought they were basically CT scanners which is a whole raft of new hardware and commissioning.

Could also be that they only have one of the lanes set up with the new hardware yet? For what it’s worth, when I flew to Munich back on May 8th, it was “business as usual” with regards to liquids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭notAMember

Which airline did you fly to Munich with? Do they do other German airports? I am still going through LHR or AMS for German flights with work at the moment. (Hamburg , Hannover) thinking about reconsidering my routes to use trains at the German end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Flew out on the 17th and the old system was definitely there. Was looking out for it as a friend had told me how great the x-ray machines are in Shannon.

It was KLM through AMS. Bit of a fan of both the airline and the airport, well, I was until my last experience at Schiphol. There’s a twice weekly direct flight to Frankfurt with Lufthansa over the summer, but I’m honestly not sure if that’s the best option for Hannover or Hamburg.

So, it seems that this new system was used for one day only!

I'd love to know the story behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, frankfurt is too far alright to make that one viable. You had my hopes up there!

That KLM flight was my usual through AMS, but it’s a dose it’s so early in the morning. Its a whole lost days work by the time you connect onwards. Even if I’m working in The Hague or someplace nearby that doesn’t need a connect, I’m still brainless by 3pm after getting up to make that blasted flight. Barely able to string a sentence together, let alone in another language. The air Lingus to ams one was 15 mins later which I started taking. But for connection to Hamburg the BA flight to LHR is around 7am. Makes all the difference to my sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Ryanair appear to have added flights from Cork to Newcastle from October 30th.

The flights are Friday and Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Incredibly useful flight times. Very busy flights ahead

Advertisement