Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chaos at Dublin Airport

• 29-05-2022 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

What on earth is going on at Dublin Airport? After weeks of stories of people having to queue out the door, staff assaulting passengers, mass brawls, people being asked to pay to use the drop-off zone, goods being stolen from luggage and now today the airport itself treated us to this statement:

The should send someone on the DAA board into the airport with a megaphone, get them to read out that statement and get people to pay to watch the livestream - that would easily provide enough money to properly staff what is apparently our major international Airport. I am due to go on a flight from there later this month and I think I'm going to need xanex to stop myself from completely losing it if this is the way it's going to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Dublin Airport is the pits.

I don't know if there's a business case to be made for airlines to shift flights to Cork / Shannon / Knock / Kerry, but all I know is flying out of those airports is a much more pleasant experience.

I'd suspect easily 1 out of every 2 passengers are travelling to Dublin Airport from elsewhere in the country in the natural catchment area of the above regional aiports, so why not slash fees etc for airlines to attract routes to them?

Someone in aviation will likely tell me that there's a good reason why Dublin has in effect become the state's only airport of scale, but all I know is I hate flying out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Also a lot of Northerners make use of Dublin Airport also.

I think Dublin Airport's business plan was to make DA a mini-Schipol or Heathrowesque hub and absolutely stack the airport with routes to pay off the cost of Terminal 2, but on a contstrained site and with sh*te facilities.

Dara O'Brian tweeted the other day there was one passport control officer on duty when he came through Dublin Airport. That's Mickey Mouse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah, terrible management.

People in charge just aren’t capable. A common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Look at this chaos. In what world is this the way to run an airport?

• Advertisement

Is it something to do with the checks they failed and now maybe have the scanners ramped up to the max?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭duefrine

I was in that q today... From starting at the back of the q at 11 o'clock, to sitting having a pint of Guinness 2 hours 15 minutes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Philip Boucher Hayes reckons people need to check their privilege before complaining about the queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was under the impression that the issues of a few weeks ago were resolved and things getting back to "normal" but that shiz is crazy. One of the lads flew over here last Wednesday, attempted to go up the escalator from arrivals to departures but got pointed to the queue outside (approx 18:00). It took him over an hour to get through security and it was fairly grim once through, no chance of a bit of hot food without another soul destroying queue.

I'll be flying into and out of Dublin twice over the next 3/4 weeks and I'm really not looking forward to it now - especially the 2nd trip with kids and luggage in tow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely at this stage the head of the DAA is incompetent and should be replaced by someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

The situation is no doubt disgraceful and management can definitely act to change it but that takes time.

I'm not defending management BTW but when you sit down and analyse, there's no quick fix solution. It's not unique to Dublin, with queues out into the multistorey carpark in Manchester, delays in Edinburgh, huge crowds at Schipol etc.

There's been a colossal shift in the labour market generally in Europe and it will take time for individual companies and bodies on a microeconomic scale, to catch up and adapt to a wider macroeconomic problem.

First and foremost, that's wages. Simple supply and demand. And I think companies are only starting to comprehend that now and reluctantly implement change.

If we look back to 2010,2012 and that period, people were taking jobs at 8.65-9 euro region. There was no shortage of staff in the likes of McDonald's, retail and that. DAA were hiring in 2015 for 12.50 an hour. Again, no shortage of applicants, no issues with queues on this scale.

Now at 14.14 starting wage, there are huge staffing problems with a lack of ability to hire and retain. We're in a market where there are more jobs than labour supply and people have more options.

Personally I hope for wage increases at lower levels, and a subsequent "trickle up" affect into the salaries of other jobs.

But this staffing issue can be seen with queues at establishments generally and has not been created uniquely by DAA management, nor is it solely a Dublin Airport issue or even an airport issue. Its a labour supply issue generally affecting multiple sectors.

While I don't blame DAA for that, I do blame them for being slow in taking the opportunity to fix it, and make changes.

But I do think it's more complex than seeing problem A (crazy videos of queues) and within 5 seconds slating Management. When it's a combination of numerous problems, again not just unique to the Airport, or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

All over FB this morning there was people showing the queues going out the door, backed up around the entrance. The wages are shite. Pay peanut and you get monkey (pox)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can't DAA try to recruit some of those in the queues? They will miss their flight, will need some extra cash to rebook their holidays so why not to hire them on the spot?

On a serious note that is a disaster and not what people going for holidays are to expect.

Hope they will sort it out by the end of next month as I don't want to be in that queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's been like this for 10 months now (we've had threads on here since September). It won't be fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Takes time? How long do they fecking need? This has been an issue for a good bit of time now and even pre pandemic Dublin airport was ****. If they haven't fixed it by now, they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will the compensation DAA need to pay to each passenger who missed a flight just be the cost of the flight or will it be like EU flight delays where it could be many hundreds?

Those who checked in bags will have a receipt for the time they dropped them off so can prove they were at the airport x hours before scheduled take-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

FFS a pick-up and trailer pulled across the entrance to block it!

What next silage bale chicane to slow traffic? Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

The wages aren't enough to pay for housing.

Housing is extortionate because there are too many people.

Bring in cheap labour from abroad.

Now housing costs more because there's more people squeezed in.

I HAVE AN IDEA! LETS GET MORE CHEAP LABOUR FROM ABROAD!

THIS TIME ITS FOR REALS!

or it's just a pyramid collapsing in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s going to hit boiling point later in June when school holidays start.

The problems look to be mainly in T1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Don’t know how the management haven’t been hauled in front of an Oireachtas committee to explain themselves.

It’s a disgrace, total embarrassment to the country - first and last thing the majority of tourists will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's like the bleedin Thunderdome these days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Boucher Hayes, you absolute idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The airlines should grow balls and move the flights to other airports until DAA prove they can run an airport. Its both the airlines and the DAA's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

DAA actually owns/operates Cork airport, which is literally like tumbleweed there at times. All the funding and push has been at Dublin and other airports that would help national capacity have been forgotten.

now Dublin airport can’t cope.

when they opened the new terminal in cork they should have let Ryanair take over the old terminal like they wanted. But DAA wanted control. Cork could have many more flights to many other routes which would be good for all involved, especially the consumer who right now has to go to Dublin to fly to a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The DAA CEO was sacked by Morrisons and humiliated by the board of directors.

Why has he not been hauled before an Oireachtas committee?

I see he is on YouTube in an old video preaching about his Christian faith. A Christian would not give out 20 hour contracts and expect staff to be available for 40 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Typical Ireland, no ones to blame and incompetence is rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Simple enough, don't fly.

Save your temper and save the planet.

Just stop going on foreign holidays lads, it's that easy. Chuck a few grand at a hotel in Kerry for the week. Sorted. Unless you've kids. Then you're fooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

The guards cancelled 1000s of domestic abuse calls during covid and apparently we were lucky the top guy stayed on in his job.

I feel so lucky.

Head of DAA should expect a raise at this stage id imagine.

Though Varadkar should be honoured first for allowing DAA to be able to hire staff at the airport on 20hour contracts with those T&Cs. And we apparently struggling with cost of living.

Many of those in that que voted for these clever lads so to good for them.

Advertisement