Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

One thing to consider is that it takes ages to get to work.

Park in the airport (if you're lucky you're actually on-site) walk to terminal building, go through security, walk to where you work. It easily adds 30 mins to your commute each way. I worked in Pier D, adding another 10 mins walk down to the Ryanair gates.

Post edited by Padre_Pio on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What are the Arrivals queues like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That 14.14/h is inclusive of shift allowance so the base rate is 10.60 + 33.3% (standard shift allowance for 24/7 in manufacturing companies, not sure about service companies) = 14.13. So they're basically paying minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Arrived into DUB twice last week, Friday night - less than 10 minutes to get through passport, Saturday night - less than 5 minutes to get through passport. Note: Automatic gates were closed on the Saturday night but available on the Friday, don't know why. Was out of the airport very quickly with no problems, both were late night flights though if that helps?

But hang on, then you're holding queues as they fill up and - potentially - having several hundred people lined up outside needing to be processed all in an hour time-slot? And some flights may not leave on the hour, to add to the confusion. I go back to saying it won't work and I'll leave it there:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well no.

The 8 o clock flights get processed first, if that q clears you move onto the 9 o clock q.

However any people arriving for 8 o clock flight get priority.

They move through security onto their plane and take off.

The 8 o clock q will probably close at 7 anyway at which point the 10 o clock q will start being processed.

It doesn't make sense to process someone whose flight is at 11 before someone whose flight is at 9 which is what was happening.

No point in having people hanging around departures lounge with no plane to bring them anywhere while people whose plane is loading are still trying to get through security.

Crowd management n all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Would have thought a stacking system makes a lot of sense when under this much pressure. I think in reality people would know there's a stacking system and not turn up until their timeslot - avoiding the problem of lots of people getting in the door exactly on the hour.

Thankfully wasn't anywhere near the chaos yesterday, but was there a while back when there were long queues in March. At that time, I noticed that the security staff were operating very slowly. They were also diverting at least 60% of the bags for additional swaps/checks - that never happened before (maybe was 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 type ratios). Mine got diverted because I'd left headphones in them (apparently they must come out alongside your laptop) and had to be scanned again - again over 100s of flights in many different airports I never saw or heard this before. I wasn't the only one and saw someone else being made wait whilst their bag was rescanned for a kindle!

So obviously there should be more staff on hand to get people through - having have the security counters closed is unacceptable with the volumes they are having, but there must be some issue with new staff not knowing what to do/working very slowly. I was almost thinking there was some type of industrial action/go slow in place because I'd never seen such a lethargic looking bunch given the amount of people waiting to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But your flaw is that you may have everyone in the correct queue at 5:59 but it is completely wrong at 6:01. All the Q2 people are now entitled/should be in Q1 etc. And your block system as outlined has a major issue as you appear to be treating the 09:05 to Paris the same as the 9:55 to Brussels.

The original 'how long left until your flight' method makes more sense, but again it is flawed as a model in that now some peoples correct Q changes as each minute passes.

They aren't terrible ideas though, they are clearly much better than a free-for-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Management clearly needs to be privatized as they havn't a clue. i noticed the problem almost a year ago and said here and was slagged off by quite a few here.

These people seem to have disappeared in recent days. We also had the boxing event which appeared to be planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you can’t just decide that you want your airline to fly from DUB to X destination…at whatever time suits you.

would there be parking at the destination airport ? Ground handling agent ? Baggage ?

what do the crew do ? Overnight ? That means you are at the loss of an aircraft in Dublin for the following mornings and most of the afternoon busy departures… crew that flew the aircraft in have a legal minimum rest period.. that I believe starts when they arrive at the hotel, not when they park the aircraft.. also if the crew would be legal regarding hours not too many holiday makers will be all that enamoured getting out of bed at 3am to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The queues could be based on flight number? With all passengers told to arrive X amount of time ahead. If some are scared and arrive even earlier, they join their queue and wait

Another thing, what airlines fly out of T2? Is there scope to move some flights over to that terminal or do they have problems too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see Philip Boucher Hayes of the RTE south Dublin bourgeoisie is lecturing the peasants on social media complaining to “check their privilege” in the midst of this terrifying climate “emergency”.

The same guy who’s daughter was pictured on a horse in Morocco on a family holiday on the cover of a National paper;

Getting very tired of the uber privileged climate set and their sanctimony at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Flying out on thursday at 12.30, I'm freaking out a bit now. Just carry on luggage. What time should I get there at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well no the q will be for 8.00-8.59 flights.

The next q will be for 9.00-9.59 flights etc.

The 8 o clock flight q opens at 5 am closes at 7...

The 9 o clock q opens at 6 closes at 8 .

Or have the q set up in half hour intervals.

They know how many flights and how many people are booked on those flights.

If there's a smooth operation you won't have people arriving way too early which was part of the problem.

You also need the right amount of staff which seems to be a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is a former travel journalist....lol...

One rule for him another for the plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wednesday 8am maybe 😉 as early as possible given the long delays, good luck @sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It would be nice if Dublin airport didn't have a stranglehold on the country. There's a serious problem when hotels in Dublin are charging over 300 euro a night for a bog standard room and tourists are saying they'll sleep in the airport instead. How in the name of Jesus is a group of 45 people quoted 15,000 for an overnight stay in a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

time-slots Qs are only option plus army taking over walk-through detector / tapping duties to redirect all other DAA staff to scanner/belts.

Flying out on Saturday morning with connecting flight to catch in Paris and **** myself atm, my wife got bad anxiety already as we've paid a fortune for holidays...really, upcoming holidays should make you excited not stressed.

Anyways, DAA managing clowns have had all data for at least 2 months ahead and did absolutely nothing, heads should roll for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Pathetic given the location, requirements and responsibilities.

Cost effective, though. Not long term as we can see.

I know of companies struggling to get good staff in for €13-14 per hour with less responsibilities, just physically demanding job.

You can get more by just doing fork lift course these days and outside of Dublin.

Poor management in DAA. Very poor.

• Advertisement

mostly agree, just 'cost effective' might be not-so-right as DAA will need to pay loads of money out in reimbursements for missed flights :)

ok, co-called Taoiseach rules out army in Dublin Airport https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-airport-live-updates-queues-27098199 ... God help us all...

guess another 'lesson to be learned' ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

On Today FM DAA stating that 260 security staff left during the pandemic (out of 1000)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Kevin Cullinane (DAA) describes the security positions at the DAA as "well paid" on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

I'm flying on 15th june from dublin aiporrt...should i go to the airport now??😀??😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

No, you'll be too early and then be part of the problem. Go tomorrow instead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sure how long do you want to spend in an airport with toilets and bins like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭gipi

Wasn't DAA only guaranteeing 20 hours originally? I remember the furore about it earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Isn’t it always? Straight out of the Davos, BLM, Greta book of lectures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Acosta

Listening to Dalton Philips on the radio a while back it appears that he subscribed to the idea that after the pandemic it would take several years to get back to 2019 levels. Whatever about the off peak season, which may take longer to recover, it was madness to assume this summer would not be insanely busy with all the pent up demand. And with this 4 or 5 year recovery fantasy in mind, the DAA left a couple of thousand staff take packages and leave the company. This included security staff, which was clearly a bad call.

To compound all this, the DAA then tried to hire staff in difficult roles, working very unsociable hours on the cheap. Perhaps they've got their act together in terms of recruitment, but if yesterday is anything to go by I would think at least in the short term that the die is cast and that the madness of yesterday will go on for another few weeks or months until new staff are trained.

Advertisement