Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormont Election 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Donaldson resigned from his MLA seat, despite IIRC repeatedly saying he wouldn't (open to correction).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Little-Pengelly (should look up her father if you've never heard of him, didn't realise who he was until today) will hand the seat back if he ever decides he wants it; and DUP voters won't punish him for the stunt like virtually any other parties voters would.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

Her father is Noel, was QM of ulster resistance. And yet people slate MOn cause her father is a Doris

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DUP also confirming they will not elect a Speaker, thus confirming the Executive will be a dead entity for the time being. Not much else can be said about the DUP, or the Tories they're sucking up to, but it's still depressing to see these things happen in real time. Maybe Westminster can pass more socially progressive laws in Stormants stead,; that'll focus the DUP lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

Once again the DUP are prepared to be BoJo's useful fools. He desperately needs the perpetual bun fight with the EU to distract from his domestic car crash and right now the DUP will facilitate that.

If BoJo somehow gets turfed out or he manages to turn the domestic situation around satisfactorily the action he's (only yet) proposing to legislate for disapplying the NIP etc will be shelved and/or he of his successor will take the bones of a deal the EU has already offered, put some lipstick on it and call it a win.

Either way IMHO there's a 90% chance that within a year the DUP will once again find itself cast aside like a used condom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Clears the way for the DUP to nominate a Deputy First Minister in time, as it won't be the party leader and they can downgrade the status of First Minister posts to their constituency. Not a bit surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The pay and conditions are much better in Westminster than in Stormont. You meet a better class of right tosser winger there. They have much bigger flegs there as well, and more pictures of the Monarch all over the place.

Why can't Stormont be like that?

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Donaldson has just bet everything on Johnson doing something, after Johnson has let them down every time previous. They never learn.

If Boris shirks it due to EU pressure or US pressure then Jeffrey is going to be left standing there, member in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

On BBC DUP emphasize that not a single elected Unionist supported the NIP. Yet 9 Unionists (the UUP) are prepared to attend and work the Assembly.

Sammy Wilson struggled under questioning by Jo Coburn on 'Politics' on Thurs.

Well, who could have predicted eh. Boris Johnson flips and decides they won't scrap the Protocol after all. I do find the insider comment about having "tough messages" for NI leaders infuriating given its only one party holding up the show, and it's their useful idiots. If you hadn't backed their nonsense Johnson we wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Oh dear, Kermit has it wrong again.

UK has backed down on their threats to the NI Protocol - yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hes got a worse record than a stopped clock at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some reports suggest he's backing down, while others have him doubling down:

Does Johnson even know what he wants to do, or is he making this up as he goes along? Guess we'll find out shortly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's Boris; he's always making it up as he goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh my. Kay has landed in the the NFTG zone.

She really just kept at it. Seems she was rattled from that criticism a few years back about her lack of knowledge of Ireland.

What is still amazing is how Unionists and their apologists still don't seem to understand why the NIP even exists at this stage. It's mindnumbing at this point.

The UK Gov mouthpieces keep saying that the NI Protocol is not working.

OK, in what way is the NI Protocol not working that is outside the UK Gov control?

How far has the UK Gov gone to implement the NI Protocol? Have they set up the required infrastructure and put in place the required personnel inc vets and customs? Have they got the support information for those GB companies that export to NI exactly what the Protocol requires and what paperwork and certification is required?

Hmmm, I thought not.

Why do the UK media not ask these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its infuriating isn't it? The line that it isn't working is just accepted and the debate moves to what to do to fix it. Instead, as you point out, a review of what isn't working, why it isn't working and what will fixing it actually achieve.

But then everyone knows that not working really means it is politically difficult for Johnson and thus needs to be changed. They don't know what is wrong, apart from the DUP not being happy, and have no idea how to fix it.

The DUP not being happy is such a new phenomenon that it surprising.

Oh wait, was it not the DUP that refused to back the Good Friday agreement? Was it not the DUP that refused to enter power sharing? Has the DUP ever said anything but 'NO!'

Have the Tories ever made a proposal to the EU that moves the NI Protocol issue forward?

Well, there is a signpost with a red flag atop for the EU.

First Abortion, now the Irish Language. These DUP politicians are so inept I'd laugh harder' only for the fact I applaud this latest direct intervention from Westminster...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Advertisement

I can't decide whether I want to watch or not; QTs habit of shill audience members means I'd worry this becomes an anti Protocol screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Charrychar

Hilarious now to see the shinners thinking they are all that because they won this election. It doesn’t matter who wins the bloody election at the end of the day Boris Johnson still runs the show.

The civilized people here in the republic will never accept a SF government, Sinn Fein is filled with crooks and criminals and always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

So if SF win enough seats and form a govt, you won't accept it. Ttat's democracy which civilised people respect, you obviously don't

So did anyone watch the QT then? And if so, how did it go, dare I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

Sinn Fein nearly won the last election by the 'civilized' people in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How did they nearly win an election with only 24.5% of the vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

one party taking a quarter of the vote is classed as 'only'?

There are some clips on Twitter; as has been the case recently, Naomi Long acquitted herself the best, while SF seemed pegged with the inevitable Border Poll question. The Tories were hammered over the cynical Windfall Tax introduced as a Look Over There after the Sue Gray report. I'll be honest I was too chicken to watch the DUP reps comments cos I knew she'd get a free run at things. Would be delighted to be wrong there.

• Advertisement

I'm watching it now. Skipped over the energy windfall part. Now we're into the protocol. Of course the DUP plant in the audience was apoplectic about the protocol. Leading ELP to go off on one. Robert Buckland also seemingly forgot his government signed up to it. In other words, no surprise.

Advertisement