Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

It makes the flimsy amount of electricity being added to existing rail lines in dart+ look rather embarrassing. Would be considered a day's work in some countries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In a European context DART + Is massive, about 100km of electrification. In one programme. The problem is the time it takes to deliver. Hardly any electrification since 1984 and DART+ is really a 10 year project with no timelines for inter City electrification

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

After DART+ alone, around 75% of all rail journeys in Ireland will be electric. Which, obviously, has a lot to do with the dominance of the GDA. That's based on no improvements in other cities which we now know won't be true. Cork Commuter Rail will also be expanded and electrified so the numbers are higher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Indeed the fact that DART+ is all going ahead as one project is really not a good way of doing it. I've seen this called "Megaproject Syndrome" on Youtube.

A poster a few months ago on here pointed out that the right way to do it would have been:

1980s: Coastal DART

1990s: Maynooth DART - this line has had enough passenger demand to justify DART since the 1990s, and indeed the diesel services introduced in the 1990s were done very cheaply - the level crossings should have been removed at that time when there was less development around the stations.

2000s: Kildare DART + reopen Phoenix Park Tunnel

2010s: Dead decade due to economic crisis

2020s: Coastal DART extension

2030s: Interconnector tunnel.

But instead we're doing 3 of those at once AND at the same time as Metrolink which increases costs due to extra risk and interface points.

Exactly, it's all about the mega project in Ireland, other countries have been quietly closing level crossings, electrifying and upgrading bridges and stations as their budgets allow since about1920. Our love of a mega project has thus far only produced glossy brochures of mega projects.

I do believe DART+ will be delivered with some key parts dropped e.g. the Ashtown crossing is proving impossible to get agreement on so it'll probably end up remaining albeit closed 10 hours per day for a few years. If Ashtown is impossible to close then there's a 0% chance of the sandymount crossings closing so again you'll see 10 hours of closure a day. Hopefully there's a lesson there to be learned on political interference in technical matters and on the perils of over-consultation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ashtown will be closed, the current revived arguments in the paper recently are driven by a one-woman campaign against the Coolmine closure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, there are five crossings ben Booterstown and GCD - Merrion Gates, Sydney Parade, Sandymount Ave, Serpentine Ave, Lansdowne Rd.

There were plans to put a bridge through the Our Lady Queen of Peace church car park on Merrion Rd linking to Strand Road and so closing Merrion Gates. That was part of a cng project that go howls of objections from IT readers and never happened.

There is no way of closing the Sydney Parade one through a bridge or tunnel. There are too many entrances close to the crossing. It could be closed or just be closed much of the time.

As above for Sandymount Ave - not really possible to do much.

Serpentine Ave is a possible candidate for an underpass for the road. If the track was raised by 2.5 to 3 metres, and the road lowered by the same amount, a bridge carrying the dart could be constructed. There is enough distance between the two stations either side to allow a slight elevation in the track. [Now that is my estimation].

Lansdowne level crossing could have been done when the stadium was rebuilt. It was not and an opportunity missed.

Having said all that, DCC were quite prepared to make Strand Road one way for to provide cycling infrastructure. So anything can be done, unless the locals object, as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The notion of part-time level crossings is just nuts, and is being put forward by people with zero understanding of the risks associated with level crossings - all across these islands they are slowly being eliminated where possible.

The second aspect is the cost as every level crossing adds unnecessary complexity to the signalling systems along the railway line e which pushes costs up further and reduces the capacity of the line.

Incidentally the level crossings along the DART+ Coastal South route are at capacity as it is at peak times.

You cannot increase peak frequency any more south of Grand Canal Dock without closing them.

That’s going to make the DART+ Coastal South plans very interesting reading.

Incidentally each part of DART+ is a separate project with separate design teams - it is not one single mega project. It has the umbrella of “DART+” over it, but they are being prepared separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

You can add to that the building of proper underground in the inner city and metro on the outskirts instead of a tram system that moves at a snails pace in the city due to the narrow streets and multitude of bends and junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, the opposition to the Coolmine closure is a lot more than one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

apparently Irish Rail have applied to close the crossing beside the station in Bray - big fuss kicking off on the local FB group about it.

I'm surprised to hear this before the Dart+ Coastal plans are released - I'd assume they want to close all the crossings if they can, but all the other routes to Bray seafront involve low bridges so it would really restrict what vehicles could then access the seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I think Putland Rd is the only bridge high enough for double deckers, and that's presently one way only (on top of the one way arrangement on the sea front).

You could signalise that underpass, get rid of a rake of parking to make the seafront two way again, and allow buses to get to the depot and trucks/coaches to the seafront.

they're not going to make the seafront two-way again. I wonder if they could demolish the arch bridge at the Harbour Bar and replace it with a flat deck bridge (and lower the road slightly). The new public transport bridge is due to come out at the back of the HB but the plans don't mention anything about where buses will go from there.

As you point out there's a bus depot on the seaward side of the railway so they have to be able to get double deckers to and from there.

The opposition started off opposing the new bridge, now they are opposing the closing of the level crossing.

One thing is clear, if we in Dublin 15 want a proper train service, the level crossings have to close. If every solution is then opposed, it is up to the local community to find one. So far, it mostly looks like NIMBYism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think the ideal solution at Bray would be a new train/bus station on the Carlisle Ground so DARTs don't have to go through the LC. Obviously there would be many obstacles to that and it might not even be long enough.

Expect the DART+ coastal controversial issues to be leaked in advance of consultation. A new method of nimby tackling.

This is a good suggestion, what are the rules around a train stopping at a platform immediately prior to a crossing? Is the crossing closed in case of an over run?

You're arguing the rights and wrongs.

My point is that you said it was a one-woman campaign. That's a lie.

Anyway, you go on to say that "the opposition started off opposing the new bridge, now they are opposing the closing of the level crossing" as though these are contradictory, they are not, in fact they are perfectly consistent. The opposition to the new bridge and the opposition to the closure both have the same solution - figure out a way to keep the crossings open.

That IE are not competent enough to figure this out is their problem, not the residents'.

Its not possible to run trains safely at the required frequency without the closure of that crossing. IE are perfectly competent in this respect.

The needs of the general public outweigh the needs of the residents of this area, who are accommodated by other bridges.

The problem at the heart of all these level crossing debates is this; IE claim they need to close them permanently to increase service frequency.

On the surface, that sounds fair enough.

However, there is precisely zero commitment from IE that they will actually deliver that frequency of service.

My concern is that we'll get traffic chaos and very little in return in terms of improved train service.

• Advertisement

The several hundred million allocated to these projects and the recent increase in frequency of existing DART services by IE/the NTA would beg to differ.

And there will always be traffic chaos. That is no excuse for handicapping the alternative - good public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes - a level crossing must be closed in advance of any train entering the signal section immediately prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I was thinking that there would be new terminating platforms so DARTs terminating in Bray wouldn't require the LC to close.

Capital expenditure on a project means nothing in terms of future service delivery. Go down to the Docklands station between 10 am and 4 pm and tell me I'm wrong.

There is absolutely no commitment from IE to provide this frequency of trains. They could have increased off peak frequency to Maynooth at any time in the last 20 years and have not. Why do we think they'll do so in the future?

The fact that service frequency on the DART was increased while keeping LCs open would seem to undermine the argument for closing them on the Maynooth line.

Traffic chaos will always be here. Therefore we should try not to make it worse. And it's not just motorists. Anyone trying to leave the car at home and get the bus is going to be massively impacted. Why are we "handicapping" one form of public transport to benefit another?

And for what? To make IE's lives that little bit easier.

the Dart does go beyond Bray, there's likely to be an every 20 mins service to Greystones in the Dart+ proposals, so the level crossing would still be an issue. The train depot in Bray is south of the station too, so terminating trains at non-through platforms would cause operational problems.

What "committment" do you require from IE? More trains have been bought and they can only be utilised for a greater frequency with the closure of these crossings.

The usual NIMBY nonsense.

Capital expenditure on a project means a lot if it is new carriages. They have to go somewhere.

The level crossings closures on the Maynooth line won't affect the buses if BusConnects is delivered.

More inaccuracy.

More trains have been bought and they will enter service later this year on the existing line with the existing crossings.

As incompetent as IE are, I would hope that not even they would be buying trains to run on a line for which an RO has not even been submitted let alone approved. Then again, you never know...

Maybe I'm a NIMBY but my NIMBYism is at least based in the reality of not wanting traffic jams all the time. What is the basis for your slavish conviction that IE are in the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

Maybe I'm a NIMBY but my NIMBYism is at least based in the reality of not wanting traffic jams all the time.

Surely having no level crossing by building a bridge over the railway would reduce traffic jams as traffic won't need to wait for trains to pass before crossing the railway. It seems like you're against the solution to your own problem.

• Advertisement

Because they know how to run a railway and somebody concerned with an increase in traffic doesn't.

And on that point, I agree with specialbyte. The closure of this through route will likely see a reduction in congestion in the area thanks to all traffic being free flowing over bridges. It will just take you longer to drive to the shops.

And for this, IE are "incompetent" :D

Advertisement