Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Considering an EV, what to buy?

• 23-05-2022 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

So I'm toying with the idea of buying an EV more and more each day.

Some background I currently have a BMW F31 335D. So I like cars that have a bit of power so can't be anything like a leaf.

I have two kids and two dogs so needs to be hatchback, estate type car.

I currently have finance on my car of 500 euro a month and my fuel bill is now hitting 90 euro a week. The jump in fuel bill is what has me looking at EV,s.

I'm looking to cut costs possibly. If I had to extend my monthly finance but it cut costs overall I'm okay with that. I just think my current monthly figure is getting excessive imo and I see fuel prices only going one way.

What cars would people recommend? Are EVs doable now in Ireland? My mileage is around 25,000kms per annum and my commute to work each way is 46kms.

I have looked at Polestar 2 but can't even get a test drive of one

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd say EV ownership is absolutely doable, there's several people here like myself who are in all electric households and have no trouble getting around

First question, do you have a driveway and can you install a home charger. If not then that's just about a deal breaker, you won't be able to enjoy the convenience of charging at home

Cars I'd look at include

Tesla model 3 performance

Kia EV6 GT spec

VW ID.4

Nissan Ariya

Toyota bz whatever it's called

MG5 EV

Last one is the only estate around and the cheapest on the list, as such you can expect the trim to be a bit lower spec than the others. But it's big and had lots of space, and given there's about 1,000 taxi drivers have bought them seemingly they must be decent enough

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

Model y maybe? If you want power all EVs have it but teslas have it most. Not sure if you’d get two dogs in the boot - probably. The enyaq looks like a good shape for practicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

What type of driving are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭fafy

Thats a good starting list, but i’d add these, all of which have above average power, range, and interior space :

Skoda Enyak 80

BMW i4

Hyundai Ioniq 5, (73kw)

Bear in mind waiting times on new orders vary, up to a year+, from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

My commute to work would he 50% motorway 50% secondary and B roads and outside of work would be more or less the same, with a few more local runs thrown in school runs, shops etc.

I also have a drive way were I can have a charger installed.

Thanks for the options I'll take a closer look at them. I'd rule out the MG though think the lower spec would irritate me. I know there is an Audi e tron coming but from what I've read that is going to priced 100k plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭eltoastero

Depending on how much weight you put on having a boat load of power, I'd recommend considering the Hyundai Ioniq5 AWD version (320bhp or there abouts). The 226bhp single motor EV6/Ioniq5 has a decent amount of punch, but due to its weight it isn't lightning fast.

Plenty of space for your kids and dog requirements too. As others have commented there's going to be a decent wait for a new one.

I do put a fair bit of weight on it having decent power, I've had cars in the past without power and Id always found myself wanting more. But then again I'm led to believe and from what I've seen power delivery is different in an EV so mightnt be as much an issue as I thought.

I'll take a look at ioniq 5.

I've tried getting test drives of the Polestar 2 and the i4 without any luck so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

My recent car history has been F36 430d MPPK to G20 M340i. I now have an iX3 on order.

I looked at the Model 3 but the looks and fit and finish in particular are a big step back from a modern BMW. Also the lack of HUD and cluster in front of the driver was a no for me. The efficiency, range and speed was very attractive but interior put me off.

The i4 was a strong contender. if I could have got a M50 in 2022 I probably would have gone for it. When I was ordering in January no dealer could give me a firm date but all said some time in 2023. That just left the base i4, which still has the normal 4 GC shortcomings. The rear doors in particular are tiny. I had the same issue with my F36. Dont underestimate what a PITA the small doors can be. My parents constantly struggled to get in and out of the back of the car. Child seats were difficult to get in too. The rear hatch is mush more useful than a 3 series saloon. My ideal car would be a G21 M50 EV if such a car existed.

I made brief enquiries on the Enyaq but lead times were well into 2023.

The ID4 doesnt feel like a VW inside, there has been a big drop in interior quality. I used to be a massive VW head. I've had a few golfs including a brand new mk7 gti. Also the new VW infotainment system is pants. I had a mk8 golf hire car last year and it took me 10 minutes to get the phone connected with carplay, and I'm very techy.

The Q4 e-tron is terrible value, like all modern audi's. If you are happy driving around in a poverty spec car then the Q4 is for you. But spec them well and the price is eye watering. I specced a Q4 up to match my iX3 spec and it was €90k!

I didnt look at other EV's. I didnt like the look of the ioniq, but it is growing on me now that I'm seeing them on the road.

That left the iX3. I never thought I'd own a jeep but the iX3 won me over. It's not as big as you'd think. I can see over it. It only has 286bhp so it wont be as fast as your 335d. I'd say it feels like a golf GTI pace-wise. BMW are building the iX3's in China so there are only 2 trim levels. The standard spec on them is immense. The iX3 has a very similar interior to the pre-LCI G20 so it still has climate control buttons unlike the i4.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I am in the market for a new car also. I didnt think I was ready for an EV as I went into my local BMW dealer at the weekend to see if I could test drive the plug in x3 and the plug in 3 series. No such luck they had none to test drive but they did have an i4 (e40) and an ix3 so I took both for a spin. The i4 was brilliant. Very quick and a big enough boot. I was coming from a Passat and before that a 3 series saloon and the visibility out of the i4 is quite poor. My needs are different to yours, I have the dog but not the kids. The iX3 was lovely to drive. Very comfortable, not nearly as quick as the i4 but was still reasonably responsive. There is no issue getting 2 child seats in the back. The one I test drove was being driven by the sales guy as his daily so he had 2 child seats in the back. I am now torn. The fun of the i4 or the practicality of the ix3. Might see if I can find a dealer with a plug in x3 but I'm seriously swaying to the all electric.

Both of the i4 (e40) and the ix3 are rear wheel drive only. If you want a 4 wheel drive X car from bmw it needs to be the much more expensive and bigger iX. Or for the saloon its the M50 version of the i4 which jumps the power from 340 to 540hp. Wasnt able to test drive the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Volvo xc40 recharge? AWD & throw the dogs in the back. You'd loose nothing on torque from the 335D, actually gain! 408bhp. Dogs may not like all that power so much back there though 😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Some background I currently have a BMW F31 335D. So I like cars that have a bit of power so can't be anything like a leaf.

Despite its staid reputation, you might be pleasantly surprised by the Leaf! Leaf 40 is noticeably quicker accelerating than many of the newer EVs - IDs, EV6, Ioniq5, etc. I have an ID4 and had an L40 before - I do miss that Leaf sudden shove! It won't match a 335d but not many EVs outside Tesla will. There's also a Leaf 62kWh which is faster again, but a rare enough beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Pick a european car thats made in Europe, better build quality, wouldn’t recommend any car that originates or is thrown together in China. Less carbon footprint and promote European jobs.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've now requested a test drive in an Enyaq and i4. I'm curious most of all to drive an EV.

The i4 M50 power wise sounds tempting but then every single review I have seen says the standard i4 is the superior car drive wise. The small rear doors I'll take a look at my kids are old enough to get I and out the car seat themselves so mightnt be to big an issue and I never really have adults in the rear so mightnt be to big an issue either. As long the boot can take the dogs.

XC40 and IX3 or even the Enyaq are cars I never would have considered before but maybe its time to put my sensible hat on and drive something really practical.

I do like the look of the Enyaq coupe especially the VRS version but I don't know when that will be released or price pont yet.

Also for the first time PCP deals appeal for me as EV cars seem to be improving at such a rapid rate right now getting in and out of one into the next generation might work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If you want something this year, you might be able to get a Tesla model Y.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

For a combination of space, range and performance hard to beat the Model Y.

The i4 would be quite small in the back and 10-15k more than a Model 3 which is quicker, more efficient and has more range. IX looks good if it's within price range. The Enyaq is pretty slow I think, definitely slower than a Leaf and like all boxy SUVs won't have the range/efficiency of a saloon type car.

I guess to echo some other replies, if you want something soon to save money then get something that doesn't have a year long waiting list

Maybe worth looking at a second hand Leaf40 or Ioniq28. That'll cover your commute and about 90% of your driving, and you can use the BMW or rent a car for longer trips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Try the Volvo XC40 Recharge (full electric). It's basically the same as the Polestar but with an SUV body on top. You'd have the boot space for dogs and a fair bit of power.

Spec (with realistic range info) - https://ev-database.org/car/1593/Volvo-XC40-Recharge-Twin-Pure-Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The only cars that you might possibly be able to get in the short term would be the Volvo xc40 or polestar 2 maybe.

jaguar i pace may be available and definitely a few second hand too.

the rest of the cars have waiting lists stretching to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Bmw are bringing out the  BMW 230e xDrive and the BMW 225e xDrive with up 90 km range, might not do your commute, but what petrol they would use would be nothing . no price online yet, but looking at the bmw website, the phevs seem to be cheaper than the electrics and both are shipping in 2 months time.

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/2-series/activetourer/2021/bmw-2-series-active-tourer-highlights.html#plug-in-hybrid

The old 225xe active tourer has a huge boot.

No need to worry about charging out and about or worry about parking position at the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Am I misunderstanding the fuel consumption for the 2 series, seems pretty high at a combined 6.5–6.0?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

BMW 223i Active Tourer*: 

Fuel consumption in l/100 km (combined): 6.5–6.0

Thats for the 223i,

The phev should be a little better on petrol only, but say for example a 100 km trip, 75 on battery and 25 on petrol, would give you something like 1.5l/100km over the 100 km,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah, I knew I was misreading something.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

We have two BMW PHEVS, would pick them over any of the other EV’s apart from the i4, going to order one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

I am strongly looking at that Volvo xc 40 recharge. Time to go fully electric for the first time. Probably won't buy until the end of this year or first half of 2023 so still looking at options but so far its the Volvo for me. I take it you own one and recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm starting to look at an EV for my wife. She currently drives a diesel Ford kuga which gives her the head room as she's 6'2.

Is there an EV with Similar head room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I don't own one. Been looking at them (well, Polestar & C40) as I want to change from my current older EV.

Head room is a hard thing to gauge as even two 6'2" people may have different space due to torso height. Probably best to go sit in a few and see how comfortable she is. Cars with sunroofs are nice but inevitably it will take away some headroom. Something to consider when spec'ing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

My husband is 6’2 and the Id.3 has lots of room ( no sunroof). Both headroom and behind his seat in the back.

So bit of an update.

I've now gotten to drive a few EV's and I have to say I was surprised by how much I liked them. My next car will definitely be an EV.

I drove an iX3, Polestar 2 dual motor and Volvo C40.

BMW iX3 not as fast or as much new technology well or as in a radical way still very much looks like a BMW. Not fast but not slow either enough poke to overtake comfortably I think. Was considering it but more than I wanted to spend but had me tempted but while I considered the last one sold so I'd have to order for next year in October.

Volvo C40 fast crazy fat to be honest but in my opion ugly looking car, suspension very soft, no steering feel whatsoever from the car and interior felt cheap and uncomfortable.

Polestar 2 really surprised by the difference in feel from the Volvo much nicer place to sit, better quality finish interior, much nicer to drive. Just as fast as the Volvo same running gear but much better delivery due to the suspension being that bit firmer. I really liked it just not sure if it will fit the two dogs in the boot.

EVs are the way forward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I am on my second Ioniq28, and I love them. I also had 2 e60/1 535ds and am a bimmer fanboy. There's no comparison between a 335d and an Ioniq or a leaf.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's hard to ignore how pleasent EVs are to drive, even the "budget" ones.

As I've often said, just get the sceptics to actually drive one and they'll be converted

Advertisement