Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering an EV, what to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Toyota BZ4X

Citroen E-C4

Hyundai Ionic 5

KIA EV6

New Renault Megane-E-Tech if you can wait for them to be available.

Just a view ideas for the OP.

Maybe have a look at Mercedes electric cars too no idea what the are called.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: We have a topic for discussion with people who are disappointed with owning an EV in Ireland (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058232922/unhappy-with-owning-an-ev-in-ireland#latest) please avoid derailing other threads if you were unhappy with your personal experience, or are unhappy that someone had a bad personal experience. Posts Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks @liamog, now I can get back to ignoring the trolling 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aprilla

We got the Mercedes EQA recently, there's also a B and C, bigger than we needed.

We were driving an Audi Q3 and had the Q4 e-tron ordered since late last year but the delivery kept being put off again and again until we couldn't take it anymore. Just by chance we found the EQA available and had to make up our minds pretty quick. A couple of weeks in and we are loving it and loving EV driving, there's no going back. We just got our ESB bill and the fuel savings are significant, so far most of our charging is done at home (Zappy). Our longest regular journey is approx 90km each way so no problems with range for us. Looking forward to a long trip in it, just to do it 😁

Post edited by aprilla on

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

How much roughly does it cost to charge over night on a zappi - is it about 12 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

That'll depend a lot on whether you have a night rate for electricity and what car you're charging - there's a big difference between a 39kWh Kona and a 77kWh ID.4, after all. Assuming you've a night rate around 10c per unit, you'd charge the latter for under €10, and the former for under €5.

If no night rate, you can probably double those costs, though that's for 0-100, which you'd very rarely actually do. And you might not actually get the ID.4 from 0-100 in the time limit for night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Errr... which provider has 10c per kWh rate?

Mine has gone up to 17c from 9c. 80kWh now costs 13.6 euros.

The thing is if you don't drive the EV sensibly, you will drain the entire battery for a 200km trip. With the electricity price rising rapidly, the cost of running EVs is going up

Well you're asking about a post that was 3 months ago, things change 😉

I think the current best rate is around 9.73c/kWh from Energia but that will probably go up in October

As for draining your battery within 200km, I recently drove from Holyhead to Cornwall in the UK (~800km each way) with 2 quick charges in each direction. I had no issues at all with range or charging on the trip, even arriving with more battery than expected due to lower consumption than estimated

This is while driving at the speed limit as much as possible, which was the majority of the journey

My 2 lessons would be bring a tyre repair kit (puncture caused me to miss my ferry) and use Ionity chargers where possible since I had no issues getting a charger anytime, nor did I see any power limiting. Next time I'll probably sign up to the plan since the savings would pay for several months of membership, and I might be able to cancel within 14 days (haven't tried it yet so don't know if they'll charge me the full rate per kWh)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My new SR model 3 takes ~57kWh to charge from full. Allowing for losses lets say 60kWh from empty to full.

60kWh * 0.07c = 4.20.

So just over 4 quid for 300km+

Put 46.7kWh in the ID.4 yesterday for a cost of just over a fiver. That should be good for around 300km of range

It'll be €6.80 after the October price increases

• Advertisement
Advertisement