Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello from Eastern Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Would you spread artificial fertilizer or is it an extensive grazing system?

fine Bull, worth keeping if he's quiet. My one isn't wicked but he's as noisy as ****, always lowing around the place but kinda reminds me of a Dog my neighbours had, constantly barking but would run a mile if anyone looked at him sideways! The behaviour is noted in the stars for them Bulls but at the end of the day I would be more weary of silent Bull of any breed that is supposed to be very quiet as there the ones who could catch you out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Thats very true,the say a cross bull never killed anyone probably because the don't take chances with them.Anyway I'll probably move him on this year as I have heifers off him coming through.Think it would be a shame to factory him,so will try the mart first

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

No fertilizer. We do spread manure on some fields sometimes. But if it'll be a drought it won't help. Had some years when it was too dry for the first grass and barely made a half of feed we usually make on normal year from the first cut.

Two bull calves born yesterday from a herd bull and one heifer born today from AI. Quite interesting result so far. Bull's calves- 3 bulls, 1 heifer. AI- 7 heifers, 1 bull. As always used am-pm rule, bred on natural heats 🤔

Today's heifer, 289 days gestation, around 30kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Seem nice and quiet golodge, do you calve them all outside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sounds like a real natural premium product that - luv to sample it sometime:)

Judging by the color of that field I'd say they'd be eating you instead

I assume its how things look there after a typical winter and i think the OP mentioned that the subsoil is currently still frozen(u may recall that grass here was in a similar state in 2013 etc) - unlike our climate there is a quick turnaround from winter into summer there, in any case good hay making weather in a typical summer, plus appropriate stocking rates etc, all fits together in terms of sustainably farming the land

The stock in the pictures look to be really healthy.

Id say our wet, windy cold weather is harder for animals that the sub zero weather.

Cattle love a nice sunny day without wind even if it's colder. Seen small calves running around the field with their tails high up on a nice day at - 15C°. Strong wind, mud, rain or snow is actually what isn't nice for them. Not bothered by cold alone though. Just a pic from last year. Calves enjoy days like that.

• Advertisement

They are far from starved 😅 our grazing season starts around the first half of May in good years, but for the past couple years it started at the end of May. While there are still freezing temperature there won't be much of grass growth.

A pic from last year. Taken on the 12th of May.

Most of the time yes. Those born in winter are usually kept in the shed for the first 10-14 days after birth. Then they are let out with herd. When the weather is nice and ground is dry we let them calve outside. Of course, always watching how calves are feeling and if they nursed fast, etc.

Have a special heifer born today. From a 10years old cow, which is in the top5 best performing herd cows. She only had a heifer once- died at birth unfortunatelly. Well, finally, another heifer was born from her. 287days gestation, around 50kg (will weigh abit later), sired by VRB bull.

The last pic of the sire.

That's some turn around in a short few weeks to go from brown frost burnt grass to lush pasture. That's similar to a Canada type climate.

It's just how it is here. Nothing unusual 😅 always have to move cattle out abit earlier, when grass is very tiny, because that if you move them out when there is plenty of grass, it'll be overgrown real fast.

Heifer weighed and fed. 51,5kg before feeding. Nice strong and lively calf. Video with the calf. Don't pay attention to the restless mom. She was overwhelmed by the whole weighing procedure and two people being there, but overall she is a very nice cow, no aggression and always standing still while helping the calf to nurse. Gave a helping hand to the calf after filming a video too. Mom hasn't moved a hair while I did that.

https://youtu.be/NILVvrNhIBo

Heifer pen got some action yesterday. The first heifer calved a charolais sired bull calf. Very quick and easy calving. 276 days gestation, around 40kg calf. Heifer herself is sired by Tweeddale Lookout, out of limxcharx cow. Nice to see that milk has been improved abit.

Next calves from heifers are due on 12th and 14th. Calves will be by Tweeddale Lennox and Tomschoice Onslow.

Tweeddale stuff has serious muscle, I've had mixed results with them as they can be hard calving. I take it she calved herself? Some heifer if she did

Tweeddale Lookout is the sire of the cow, but not the calf. Had several calves from Lookout. Most bulls were 50+kg, heaviest being 64kg. Heaviest heifer was from 3/4 char cow- 53kg, all other were in 37-45kg range. Most born unassisted, but had a couple abit too big for their moms to calve alone. Good growth rates though. Leaving his daughters with a hope that they'll be good calvers and milkers as his numbers suggest. So far seems good. Will have one more his daughter calving with a lim calf after a good month.

Heifer did calve her calf herself. Very quickly too. Has bigger udder than her dam had at her first calving.

Had the heifer's calf go sick four days ago. Finally, today saw him nurse and he is feeling much better.

Had another strong big heifer born today. From a previous limousine herd bull, cow is limxcharx, dam of the white first calver. 287days gestation, but heifer should be easily hitting 50kg.

Have a simx heifer from the same cow for AI this year.

• Advertisement

It's getting warmer and greener every day. Still get some frost during the night, so grass can't grow fast.

Had some hard day yesterday. First saw cows attacking a beaver, which decided to walk in their pasture. After all of the commotion saw that one of the cows started showing signs of belly pain. After closer inspection it appeared that she had a ruptured peritoneum and her intestines were out.

The worst part is that she still had 21 days until her due date. Plus she was due only with her second calf.

Decided to do a c-section and try to fix her peritoneum.

The whole procedure took almost 6hours.

Most of her intestines were out. The hole actually wasn't big.

The calf is very decent size for her gestation. Teeth aren't fully formed, but already there. She's sleeping almost all the time, sometimes waking up for a couple minutes.

The cow is doing pretty decent. Eating and drinking. Has a lot of fluids in the cavity left by intestines. Walking around her pen abit.

Also had a heifer calving yesterday in the evening. Some assistance with a jack, but both were bright and doing well right after birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Good result that both are alive and hopefully they make it. Is the calf sucking a bottle?

The second calf is a good sized calf out of a heifer. What's it by.

Unfortunatelly, both calf and cow passed away. Calf yesterday. She has vomited all of the colostrum we gave her, so her stomack most likely wasn't working, wasn't passing any stool. She was sleeping almost all the time, walking up for a couple minutes and then back to sleep. Not walking, just lifting her head and bawling abit. The cow passed away this night. She wasn't defecating, so there was something wrong inside.

The calf is by Tweeddale Lennox. Weighed yesterday, 54kg. Luckily not much of muscles.

As farmers we work with nature but often She takes control despite our best interventions.

Post edited by Base price on

Got the first group of cows out on grass yesterday. Very cold spring, so not much of grass growth.

Let out cows with calves at foot (except three recently calved) and all due by the end of June. Those three, first calf heifers and cows due past the end of June will be another group. Going to move them on grass soon too, but first they had to spend a couple days together as just let first calf heifers in to the cows pasture.

The fourth day with a cow calving. Today had a heifer calved. Heifer is sired by Tweeddale Lookout and the calf is by Tomschoice Onslow. 275 days gestation, small heifer calf. First calver's dam just had a simmentalx heifer two days ago.

Have this bluex heifer incalf to Tweeddale Lennox and due on the 28th.

golodge, lovely fine healthy looking stock as always and bless them. In fairness your cows/calves have more grass than mine have here at the moment.

Lovely to see cattle grazed on healthy natural swards like that

Thank you. Tried to take pictures where the grass is looking better 😅 It got abit warmer and got some rain, so grass started growing better these days.

Moved the other group of cows on grass yesterday. Happy cows and calves!

Bull calf with 64kg birth weight. 13 days old in the photo. Shaping bit by bit. Will be interesting to see him in a couple months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Its amazing how your landscape changes with the seasons. We don't have the extremes of temperatures here in ireland.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement